E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Cheap Angel Eye Bulb Replacement

03-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
it4rz4n
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

Cheap Angel Eye Bulb Replacement

So I know a lot of people buy nice LED bulbs when their angel eyes burn out, but for whoever is fine with the stock bulbs this DIY will show how to change ONLY the bulb, without going to the dealership and paying rediculous prices for the entire bulb assembly.

Step 1: Jack up the car and take off your wheel.
Step 2: Remove the front part of the inner fender liner.
Step 3: Gain access to the bulb. It was kind of a pain to pop off the cover because there is a clip on both the top and bottom.
Step 4: Remove the bulb and chrome assembly. Once we are done with this bulb replacement, we won't ever have to remove this piece again.
Step 5: With a Dremel, grind down the melted plastic tab holding the bulb into the holder. Once you have ground down both sides the bulb socket should come out easily. I suppose in the future this part may pop out on its own while driving but I have already done this and on my other bulb it has been fine for the past 6 months.
Step 6: Remove the bulb from the socket. You have to push the bulb in and turn.
Step 7: Replace the bulb. The bulb I pulled out was a Philips 12082. I just bought like 8 bulbs off eBay for 10 or 15 bucks. This procedure is much much cheaper than buying the entire bulb, socket and chrome holder from the dealer.
Step 8: Put everything back together in reverse order.

That's it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I posted a similar DIY a few years ago. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847734. The bulbs would keep burning out, so I gave in and bought LUX Angel Eyes. The LUX replacements are the same price as a new bulb assmebly from Hella (the OEM). $120 and you have a modern update to the pre-LCI angel eyes. Well worth the money.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
cdgatti254.50