BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > So here is what I've learned so far

03-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

So here is what I've learned so far

Big thanks to Mike at Extreme and the guys at BMS for answering all of my questions.

I was hoping to go simple on my M2. I paid for an extended factory warranty. And while my dealership is pretty cool with mods, I still wanted to keep it low key. I have a bad habit of tuning my cars as soon as I get them. I wanted to avoid an entire piggy back system like the JB4 just for simplicity sake. Thought I'd go JB+ for a few more easy ponies. All the smart people I talked to advised against this for safety reasons. Said if you're gonna do it, just get the JB4. Less risk. So I guess I'll wait till I get bored and then go JB4

So for now, think Ill put on my BMS intake, BMS can flap module and a full Dinan exhaust. So basically sound mods

My dealership doesn't do Dinan mods. Found a dealership about 50 miles north that does. Said to order it through them, takes about a week. Then schedule an appointment for install. Seems pretty simple. Anyone go this route with a BMW dealership?

Also thinking about eventually doing a sports cat. My dealership says they're fine with mods, but did give me a warning. Said that they'll be happy to replace anything, but when BMW sees big repairs like engines, turbos, etc, they start to ask questions and want to interrogate the computer stuff themselves

Ill see how long I can hold out
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I'd like to hear the logic behind less risk with the JB4 than with the JB+.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep

The common theme seemed to be that the car with its stock tune is not able to cope with much more boost. The JB4 allows allows revised tunes
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
I'd like to hear the logic behind less risk with the JB4 than with the JB+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
The common theme seemed to be that the car with its stock tune is not able to cope with much more boost. The JB4 allows allows revised tunes
JB+/Dinan sport raises boost only whereas JB4/Dinantronics manipulates other parameters such as A/F allowing a safer tune. This is the reason I've disconnected my sport unit as I (im)patiently await the much more complicated and thorough stage 4 box.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It seems that you'd want the JB4 when modding fueling, DP, or turbo. But for otherwise stock, including any other intake or exhaust mods, the JB+ would have less risk simply because the reliable factory tune with its safety features is being used.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep

Quote:
It seems that you'd want the JB4 when modding fueling, DP, or turbo. But for otherwise stock, including any other intake or exhaust mods, the JB+ would have less risk simply because the reliable factory tune with its safety features is being used.
That's what I thought too. My old supra turbo you'd just turn up the boost and the factory ecu would just accommodate it with the help of a bcc

Apparently not in this case.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's what I thought too. My old supra turbo you'd just turn up the boost and the factory ecu would just accommodate it with the help of a bcc

Apparently not in this case.
I'd like to learn more about this. The JB+/Dinan sport are TMAP level filters, they do not directly control the wastegate. I believe that is not the case with your Supra which does not use load-based principles to operate.

The BMW DME should still be reading correct duty cycle, A/F ratio, IAT, knock, throttle position, etc. - basically everything required to limit boost to conform to operating parameters. With everything being monitored for safety margins, if there are no codes, then safety should be maintained.

The factory turbo can run as high as 19psi to compensate for low air density. Theoretically, with the JB+ the car should be behaving as if there was less air such as when at a higher elevation. For fueling, the O2 sensor should compensate for the increased air flow.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to learn more about this. The JB+/Dinan sport are TMAP level filters, they do not directly control the wastegate. I believe that is not the case with your Supra which does not use load-based principles to operate.

The BMW DME should still be reading correct duty cycle, A/F ratio, IAT, knock, throttle position, etc. - basically everything required to limit boost to conform to operating parameters. With everything being monitored for safety margins, if there are no codes, then safety should be maintained.

The factory turbo can run as high as 19psi to compensate for low air density. Theoretically, with the JB+ the car should be behaving as if there was less air such as when at a higher elevation. For fueling, the O2 sensor should compensate for the increased air flow.
Agree. If you can find an answer I'm all ears
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

Quote:
Agree. If you can find an answer I'm all ears
Dinan website:

DINANTRONICS Sport module installs on the boost sensor and not the manifold pressure sensor, ignition timing and air-fuel mixtures remain safe for worry free driving.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about engine safety.

Last edited by bi0hazard; 03-05-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Dinan website:

DINANTRONICS Sport module installs on the boost sensor and not the manifold pressure sensor, ignition timing and air-fuel mixtures remain safe for worry free driving.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about engine safety.
If that's what it says, they are wrong.
Appreciate 0