E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > E91 Sunroof Windnoise

04-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
q96
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Pack M

E91 Sunroof Windnoise

Hello,

I wanted to share my experience concerning wind noise on e91 panorama sunroofs.

First of all this DIY is for the case when the sunroof is noisy when you drive at 80 - 150 km/h (the speed can be slightly different but at high speed).
To be sure we speak about the same thing, be sure that you don't ear any noise when the sunshade is closed but also when you push in the middle in the front of the moving panel.

When you are in these conditions, it means you have to readjust your sunroof position. It's not a big deal, let's see :

The best thing is to be 2 persons to do this the best way !
The rules to be sure you won't have wind noise :
- the front part of the moving panel must be under the front roof (between 0 and -1mm)
- the front part of the second panel must be under the front panel rear area (between 0 and -1 mm).

Last thing before we start becarefull not to destroy the screw when you rescrew you roof panel...

So here are the insctructions :

A/ Remove the mechanism cover (these black rubber parts on the side over that follows the moving panel when it gets open !!). Be carefull to avoid damaging them, pull only the hard part, it's clipped in the top and in the back. When you have removed both, you'll see 3 screws on each side.

B/ Unscrew the 3 screws on each side (you don't need to remove them, just to release them to allow the moving panel to be replaced...)

C/ Now push the moving panel in the front direction by pulling the black hard plastic line you find in the front of the moving panel. While the first guy keeps doing this, the second one can screw again the screw that is in the back on each side (so 2 screws to screw..)

D/ Once this is done, the panel is probably as much as possible in the front, the you can adjust it's height. One guy must be outside to assure that the front line of the moving panel is under the roof (not to far, but between 0 and 1 mm is fine...). The second one, can then screw the front screw on each side.

E/ Now the roof in fine in the front, you must assure that it's also fine between the moving panel and the second panel. The guy outside keeps looking at the gap (in Z direction (meaning in height))between these two panels, you must just assume that the back line of the front panel is higher than the front line of the second panel. If it has to be readujsted, unscrew the rear screw on each side, adjust correctly the height and rescrew the rear screw but also the 2 middle screws you haven't rescrewed yet !

F/ Now your roof should be fine adjusted, make a drive test to be sure and once your are finished put the mechanism cover again (on this part you can read top that shows you which side goes in the top).

I hope that you understand my english explaination and that you managed as I did to resolve this anoying problem....

If you really need it, I'll do some pictures to help you.

Rico
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
mag12000x
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i, Sport pkg, Step

Your english is good, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Could you take a few to help me, it's much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
lidvar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 320dat

Hi,

Can you send me some photos for this DIY? Thanks!
Appreciate 0