F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buying through a Private Party; Finance Question
Studio RSR

03-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport

Buying through a Private Party; Finance Question

I'm planning on flying out of state (To Missouri from Illinois) to potentially buy a 435i. The owner of the car has it financed through BMW Financial of NA and his payoff is roughly ~$16,000.

He has what looks like a title and says "State of Missouri Certificate of Title" but also shows the 1st Lien Holder being BMW Bank of NA. Next to this is reads:

"Lien Release: To release any lien shown on the face of this title, the lien holder must complete a motorized Lien Release (DOR-4809) to be attached to this title before the purchaser applies for a certificate of title."

This is the document: http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4809.pdf

I've never bought through a private party and want to be 100% protected.

Other than a bill of sale, this "title with a lien", and a Lien release document, what else would I need before I make the payoff on his car, and pay him the rest of the money with a cashier's check?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbweber View Post
I'm planning on flying out of state (To Missouri from Illinois) to potentially buy a 435i. The owner of the car has it financed through BMW Financial of NA and his payoff is roughly ~$16,000.

He has what looks like a title and says "State of Missouri Certificate of Title" but also shows the 1st Lien Holder being BMW Bank of NA. Next to this is reads:

"Lien Release: To release any lien shown on the face of this title, the lien holder must complete a motorized Lien Release (DOR-4809) to be attached to this title before the purchaser applies for a certificate of title."

Other than a bill of sale, this "title with a lien", and a Lien release document, what else would I need before I make the payoff on his car, and pay him the rest of the money with a cashier's check?
I'd probably have it signed in front of a notary at a bank or something..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was planning on doing it with a notary.

Was trying to get in touch with BMW Financial to see what exactly they require, but they are closed on the weekend.
Appreciate 1
tex26702418.50
      03-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Go to the BMW Dealer and have their people release the lien. The Dealers are open on weekends...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Go to the BMW Dealer and have their people release the lien. The Dealers are open on weekends...
They probably don't have the ability to do that, they're not the lien holder.
Typically a buyer of a car with a lien would deal directly with the lien holder, paying the balance due directly to them, and the remainder of the sale price to the seller. The transaction would be conducted at the office of the lien holder. When that's a local bank, or a finance company that has a local branch office, it's a simple matter. When there is no local office it can be a major hassle. A BMW dealer may be able to act as an intermediary for BMWFNA, but it would have to be worked out in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
.... A BMW dealer may be able to act as an intermediary for BMWFNA, but it would have to be worked out in advance.
Since they sign for BMWFNA when you buy a car on the weekend, they are certainly an agent for them, and should be able to release the lien.

But it could be different in every state. Last time I bought from a private party, we did the transaction in the bank holding the lien... arranged ahead of time.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:

Can you receive PM yet? I was a state trooper in Illinois for 26 years. It would be easier to do than clogging up the blog.
      03-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Since they sign for BMWFNA when you buy a car on the weekend, they are certainly an agent for them, and should be able to release the lien.
They may be able to take the payment as an agent of BMWFNA, but not without it being pre-arranged. They probably can't provide a release of lien because they would not have it on hand. In most states the lien holder holds the actual title. That's how it is where I live now. In some they hold a lien document. That's how it was when I lived in New York and worked for Ford Motor Credit. AFAIK in all cases those documents would be in the possession of the lien holder, not the dealer.
Appreciate 1
tex26702418.50
      03-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

You need a payoff letter from BMWFNA that shows exactly how much they are owed as of the date of your sale. You also need to be sure that they are paid, which cannot happen if you pay your seller the full purchase price. You may want to have 2 checks--one bank check made out directly to BMWFNA, place it in a FedEx envelope addressed to BMWFNA's payoff address, and have the seller witness you tender the envelope to the closest FedEx Office location; and a 2nd check for any excess made out to the seller.

This way, with the payoff letter, and proof of payment, and proof the check was cashed, even if the lien wasn't released, you have proof that BMWFNA no longer has any valid claim to the car. They can't legally enforce a lien without a valid underlying claim of an obligation owed.

Of course, the process varies state by state. So a call to the Missouri DMV would be a good idea too.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-04-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
They probably don't have the ability to do that, they're not the lien holder.
Typically a buyer of a car with a lien would deal directly with the lien holder, paying the balance due directly to them, and the remainder of the sale price to the seller. The transaction would be conducted at the office of the lien holder. When that's a local bank, or a finance company that has a local branch office, it's a simple matter. When there is no local office it can be a major hassle. A BMW dealer may be able to act as an intermediary for BMWFNA, but it would have to be worked out in advance.
I agree--showing up at the BMW dealer unannounced is not the best idea. It's possible that you could arrange through BMWFNA to do this ahead of time, for them to authorize the dealer to accept payment on their behalf.
Quote:

But it could be different in every state. Last time I bought from a private party, we did the transaction in the bank holding the lien... arranged ahead of time.
Plenty of dealers arrange for financing on behalf of plenty of lenders, affiliated with the brand or not. This has nothing to do with accepting payoffs--what if the dealer keeps the payoff money, and gave the new owner a lien release?

Whether a dealer can act on behalf of BMWFNA to satisfy a loan will not vary state by state. The dealer is not their "agent". They can arrange to get you financing when you buy, but that doesn't mean they have the authority to do anything else on behalf of BMWFNA. Maybe they can, but I would not assume this.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-04-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Can you receive PM yet? I was a state trooper in Illinois for 26 years. It would be easier to do than clogging up the blog.
Yes I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
You need a payoff letter from BMWFNA that shows exactly how much they are owed as of the date of your sale. You also need to be sure that they are paid, which cannot happen if you pay your seller the full purchase price. You may want to have 2 checks--one bank check made out directly to BMWFNA, place it in a FedEx envelope addressed to BMWFNA's payoff address, and have the seller witness you tender the envelope to the closest FedEx Office location; and a 2nd check for any excess made out to the seller.

This way, with the payoff letter, and proof of payment, and proof the check was cashed, even if the lien wasn't released, you have proof that BMWFNA no longer has any valid claim to the car. They can't legally enforce a lien without a valid underlying claim of an obligation owed.

Of course, the process varies state by state. So a call to the Missouri DMV would be a good idea too.
This was sort of my thinking, or do an electronic payoff using my account directly withdrawn from my end. Only thing that worries me is without any documentation
from BMWFNA, what do I have to ensure the titles comes to me, instead of BMW sending it to him?

Here's my itinerary:
1.) Inspect and drive car and determine it is as described.
2.) Go to Bank, sign bill of sale, letter of guarantee of transfer of title, and sign over "Lien Title."
3.) Pay off remainder of lien to BMWFNA from my account.
4.) Have cashiers Check written out for remainder, and then deposited into his account (We both use BofA).

Anything I could be missing?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #12
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MO DMV Notice of Lien Release info: http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/help.php#4809

Form 4089: http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4809.pdf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Back in the day it was very common for a seller wanting to sell his financed car in the private market to go to his local bank or credit union and get a "90 day signature loan" to pay off his installment auto loan so he could have the title free and clear for the sale. I'm not sure how well that works today, because back then loan balances tended to be much smaller. But this used to be a very standard practice for banks. Of course, another difference today is that back then it was much more common that the seller's local bank or credit union also held the original installment loan.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #14
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Back in the day it was very common for a seller wanting to sell his financed car in the private market to go to his local bank or credit union and get a "90 day signature loan" to pay off his loan so he could have the title free and clear for the sale. I'm not sure how well that works today, because back then loan balances tended to be much smaller. But this used to be a very standard practice for banks.
Seems feasible. I've also read to open an escrow account, but that seems rather tedious and I feel there has to be some easier way.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes I can.

This was sort of my thinking, or do an electronic payoff using my account directly withdrawn from my end. Only thing that worries me is without any documentation
from BMWFNA, what do I have to ensure the titles comes to me, instead of BMW sending it to him?

Here's my itinerary:
1.) Inspect and drive car and determine it is as described.
2.) Go to Bank, sign bill of sale, letter of guarantee of transfer of title, and sign over "Lien Title."
3.) Pay off remainder of lien to BMWFNA from my account.
4.) Have cashiers Check written out for remainder, and then deposited into his account (We both use BofA).

Anything I could be missing?
Hmm. You can't be the first person to be in this situation, so there must be a mechanism for BMWFNA to send the paperwork directly to you; or if they mistakenly send to the seller, to get a duplicate title.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #16
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. You can't be the first person to be in this situation, so there must be a mechanism for BMWFNA to send the paperwork directly to you; or if they mistakenly send to the seller, to get a duplicate title.
Guessing I'll have to wait until monday morning to call BMWFNA when they open. Dealerships haven't been any help
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guessing I'll have to wait until monday morning to call BMWFNA when they open. Dealerships haven't been any help
Of course not. No $$ in it for them.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:25 AM   #18
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Back in the day it was very common for a seller wanting to sell his financed car in the private market to go to his local bank or credit union and get a "90 day signature loan" to pay off his installment auto loan so he could have the title free and clear for the sale. I'm not sure how well that works today, because back then loan balances tended to be much smaller. But this used to be a very standard practice for banks. Of course, another difference today is that back then it was much more common that the seller's local bank or credit union also held the original installment loan.
Back in the day they didn't charge upfront points for loans either - which is pretty much standard for bank loans today.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:30 AM   #19
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Of course not. No $$ in it for them.
Yep. Another example of why they charge ~$600 in paperwork fees for car sales.

And they cannot get involved with a 3rd party sale without opening themselves to liability if something goes wrong (or car has issue) so they will not want to get involved.

Not only that, but as you stated, they are agent to originate loans pre-approved by BMWFS.

They are not able to release an obligation to BMWFS unless they transfer funds to BMWFS for payoff.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #20
Atx328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
An easy way I have dealt with this in the past is to send a cashiers check in the full amount to the lien holder. They take out the portion needed to release the lien and then refund the overage to the seller.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #21
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

If you have any attorney friends, this would be the time to call in a chit.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #22
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Call BMWFS and speak to a representative to learn the exact steps required to complete the transaction.

The transaction may require several days. The reputation and integrity of the seller is the most important item. While the paperwork is being processed, the vehicle should not be driven and kept in a safe location.

With a bill of sale, you can obtain temporary plates from your local DMV and fly to pick up the car. Some states require plates to be surrendered when the vehicle is sold out of state.
Appreciate 0