BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs M4....

02-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
AWM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

M2 vs M4....

Im wanting to hear from anyone who's gone from f80/f82 to M2 about differences. There are a few things that im not happy about with my m4 and it seems the M2 may have fixed them. The sound of the m2 seems a lot better both engine and exhaust and handling dynamics with not being so tail happy. I have a manual m4 and read that its same transmission on m2, but is there any noticeable difference with how it drives? Im open to DCT transmission as well as I used to love my old GTI with dsg.
      02-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Honestly, having driven the M4 extensively the only things I feel like you are really going to miss are the adaptive suspensions, the nice interiors and the holo display

M4 for highways & long-trips

M2 for B-roads and mountain roads
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM235i View Post
Im wanting to hear from anyone who's gone from f80/f82 to M2 about differences. There are a few things that im not happy about with my m4 and it seems the M2 may have fixed them. The sound of the m2 seems a lot better both engine and exhaust and handling dynamics with not being so tail happy. I have a manual m4 and read that its same transmission on m2, but is there any noticeable difference with how it drives? Im open to DCT transmission as well as I used to love my old GTI with dsg.
Search is your buddy, here yah go!

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1279926
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:39 PM   #4
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have both...

From my point of view, they are totally different cars. The M2 is a lot of fun, but it is nowhere near the performance levels of the M4. If I could only have one it would be the M4, no question about it.

Had a 135i before the M2. It was nice and stealthy. The M2 is not stealthy at all and can't compete with others like the M4 can. I'm loving the M2 as a DD, but I would not give up my M4 for it.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #5
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
From my point of view, they are totally different cars. The M2 is a lot of fun, but it is nowhere near the performance levels of the M4. If I could only have one it would be the M4, no question about it.

Had a 135i before the M2. It was nice and stealthy. The M2 is not stealthy at all and can't compete with others like the M4 can. I'm loving the M2 as a DD, but I would not give up my M4 for it.
Depends what you mean by "performance levels". In fact, as has been documented in clips/reviews on the internet, on tighter courses, the M2 is as fast, or faster, than the M4 when both are driven by experienced racers, and much easier for the average enthusiast to drive quickly.

What the M2 doesn't have, in stock form, is horsepower and torque that can overpower its chassis unpredictably at the limit. Some drivers like that feeling, some don't. This is one reason some reviewers/drivers prefer the 1M over the M2, as well--the 1M can get pretty squirrely at 9 or 10/10ths, and it is fun to play with that threshold on a track. It's harder to do that with the M2, by all accounts. The M2 does not give you the feeling, as some M4 owners have said about their cars (on this very board, in fact) that it is "trying to kill you" at the limit.

So, I think either choice is quite defensible. Depends on what you are looking for. I drove both; the choice was pretty easy for me, and the price difference didn't matter to me.

Appreciate 2
      03-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #6
AWM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

thanks for the replies... I did search for previous posts already but wanted to bring this topic up again as I think it's an important one for comparisons. You said it well BruceM that it's the power that overwhelms at the limit and this is my main complaint with the f80/f82. I love the looks of the M4 and all of its special M features, but I tend to mainly use my car as a DD on the street and I'd rather not have the car be so unpredictable when pushing it. I also would love to have a slightly smaller car. I think the m4 is one of best looking cars on the road and this holds me back from wanting to trade it in. I use to have a m235i and I loved the form factor and can't imagine how good the M2 would be(mix btw m4 and m235i I imagine)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 05:11 AM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

I drive m2 and m4 all the time. Let me tell you this: the only place you'll be missing a m4 in a m2 is on the highway.
      03-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
What the M2 doesn't have, in stock form, is horsepower and torque that can overpower its chassis unpredictably at the limit. Some drivers like that feeling, some don't. This is one reason some reviewers/drivers prefer the 1M over the M2, as well--the 1M can get pretty squirrely at 9 or 10/10ths, and it is fun to play with that threshold on a track. It's harder to do that with the M2, by all accounts.

The M2 does not give you the feeling, as some M4 owners have said about their cars (on this very board, in fact) that it is "trying to kill you" at the limit.
Thanks for your input. Just to make sure I understood your last sentence, it's the M4 you are referring to, when you say some people feel it's trying to kill you at the limit, right? Not the M2...

PS I'm curious who here has driven the Comp pack M4, and could compare it to the M2?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Thanks for your input. Just to make sure I understood your last sentence, it's the M4 you are referring to, when you say some people feel it's trying to kill you at the limit, right? Not the M2...

PS I'm curious who here has driven the Comp pack M4, and could compare it to the M2?
Yes. And I have heard, although it was from a Bimmer dealer, that the Comp Pack "cures" most of what ails the M4 otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Yes. And I have heard, although it was from a Bimmer dealer, that the Comp Pack "cures" most of what ails the M4 otherwise.
Right, that's what I've been reading in car reviews about the Comp pack version. How that's the way the M4 should have come in the first place...

Do you think it will be nimble as the M2, with the comp pack? It is still about 8 inches longer as a car (184 vs 176), and I wonder how much impact that will have, regardless of how much they've improved it...

Wish I could test drive an M2 and an M4 with a comp pack!

Have you come across any head to head track comparisons of the two cars, with the M4 comp pack? I'm guessing they'll be even as before, as the M4's power will even out the M2's nimbleness in the turns.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #11
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Right, that's what I've been reading in car reviews about the Comp pack version. How that's the way the M4 should have come in the first place...

Do you think it will be nimble as the M2, with the comp pack? It is still about 8 inches longer as a car (184 vs 176), and I wonder how much impact that will have, regardless of how much they've improved it...

Wish I could test drive an M2 and an M4 with a comp pack!

Have you come across any head to head track comparisons of the two cars, with the M4 comp pack? I'm guessing they'll be even as before, as the M4's power will even out the M2's nimbleness in the turns.
No, I haven't read a head to head with the Comp Pack. My reading is that the M4's power is only marginally increased in the Comp Pack. But the balance and twitchiness of the car at the limit has been improved. If that's the case, the M2's advantages on a track in the twisties would lessen.

Although I have driven an M4, and not an M4 Comp Pack, it's hard to imagine that the basic differences between the M2 and M4 won't still be pretty obvious, on street and track. What's the price delta with the Comp Pack??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I've driven both and own an M2. If you want and like to 'drive' then M2 is superior in feel hands down imo. Lighter (in feel anyway) even though technically not by much, smoother, more pure. The M4 though for a daily driver through traffic or on the highway would win easy for me. it's so much nicer inside, materials and cabin feel etc. Pure fun factor the M2 wins easy. I would put it this way, if the two cars were offered to me identical in price I would be hard pressed to decide. With the M4 priced the way it is it was an easy decision. If you want a drivers car go M2. if you want something that tries to strike a balance between luxury cruiser and sports car go M4.
Appreciate 4
      03-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I've driven both and own an M2. If you want and like to 'drive' then M2 is superior in feel hands down imo. Lighter (in feel anyway) even though technically not by much, smoother, more pure. The M4 though for a daily driver through traffic or on the highway would win easy for me. it's so much nicer inside, materials and cabin feel etc. Pure fun factor the M2 wins easy. I would put it this way, if the two cars were offered to me identical in price I would be hard pressed to decide. With the M4 priced the way it is it was an easy decision. If you want a drivers car go M2. if you want something that tries to strike a balance between luxury cruiser and sports car go M4.
I think this is exactly right.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Thanks. When you say you've driven both, you're referring to the M4 with Comp Pack, right?

This is such a tough call for me which to get, if we ignore the pricing for a second...

I would love a driver's car for sure. But I wonder how much difference I'd feel between the two cars, on the street? Is the M2 lighter and more fun in the city too, do you think?

I do track my car, 3 to 5 days a year, so it does matter to me how it does on the track, but then again, I'm not a track nut either. I don't do a lot of highway miles, and this car is going to be my DD, on which I might put only about 6000 miles a year, mostly city driving.

And the tuning potential of the M4 can't be forgotten, for some of us...

More thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Thanks. When you say you've driven both, you're referring to the M4 with Comp Pack, right?

This is such a tough call for me which to get, if we ignore the pricing for a second...

I would love a driver's car for sure. But I wonder how much difference I'd feel between the two cars, on the street? Is the M2 lighter and more fun in the city too, do you think?

I do track my car, 3 to 5 days a year, so it does matter to me how it does on the track, but then again, I'm not a track nut either. I don't do a lot of highway miles, and this car is going to be my DD, on which I might put only about 6000 miles a year, mostly city driving.

And the tuning potential of the M4 can't be forgotten, for some of us...

More thoughts?
For sure you can tune the M4 and make it absolute beast to drag with corvettes if you want but like I said thats not what makes a drivers car. the M2 is not a stop light racer. its meant to bob, weave and dance. It has an amazing balance of power delivery with a brilliant fixed suspension to make driving this car easy and fun. its predictable and the M4 is not. it feels lighter probably because its more compact and smaller cabin. better connection to the road. On the track I would say you would have more fun because of those reasons and the confidence the M2's setup provides.

Ignoring pricing the M2 wins for me in city driving with light traffic. if you are heading downtown in lineup every day punching it from stoplights the M4 is the way to go. Both are amazing cars period. You can't go wrong.
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      03-15-2017, 07:35 AM   #16
M2 Maybe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 Series

Exterior wise, the cars are equal to me but the M4 has a better interior and slightly faster while M2 handles slightly better. If the cost was the same, I'd probably go with the M4 but no way could I justify $14K more for the slightly better M4
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 04:29 AM   #17
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have a BSM 6MT 2016 M2, Just about every mod inc. NX EXpress Wetshot (Afraid to install LOL)

That being said, Id rather have the M2 simply bc its rare...Most people tell me Im the first one they've seen in person...

But other than that, I had a rare opportunity which I couldn't pass up, If things were diff I would've gladly spent the extra cash on a nice black M4...

Must add: Performance numbers of M2 are deflated by BMW or more likely F8x M3/M4 numbers are inflated...I raced a handful of M3s and M4s, stock and after my mods...Obviously M3.M4 even with just a tune, an M2 cant even come close...But Stock Vs Stock or M2 (bolt ons) and an M4 w intake/exhaust..Ive always won by decent margins....I caught 2 on tape...

The AY M3 was 6mt and was just lowered, w lightweight volks ,muffler delete, dp's and intakes.

M4 stock DCT w older dude driving.

My Car had like 15 miles on it...VRSF DP, and 30% E85....It was a hot summer day, every time there was ample time to cool down i cooked the AY M3 pretty bad until at least 4th-5th gear just bc heatsoak. I beieve w FMIC ad the co2 sprayer the car will be more consistent.
Black M4 I suprisingly had until we topped out (Guessing he was shifting early lol)

04-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
AndyinHou
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2, 2023 M2 BG O.T.W.

I've now got a serious dilemma. There's a MY17 M3 Competition package with 7k miles for sale at about $3k more than the M2 that I have on order (June production).

Although it's not certified, I'm seriously tempted...!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #19
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I'd get M3 ZCP for nearly the same price. That's probably a 75K car you're paying around 60K for.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #21
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

I looked at both yesterday and for a daily driver for me (about 50 miles a day) and no track use, the interior of the M4 is far superior to the M2. Staring at that tiny narrow gauge cluster and the cheap looking seats in a $64k car was just too disappointing (it was an M2 cp). I do like the outside looks, but you sit inside a car. It looks just like a 228 inside.

just my 2 cents.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #22
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
I looked at both yesterday and for a daily driver for me (about 50 miles a day) and no track use, the interior of the M4 is far superior to the M2. Staring at that tiny narrow gauge cluster and the cheap looking seats in a $64k car was just too disappointing (it was an M2 cp). I do like the outside looks, but you sit inside a car. It looks just like a 228 inside.

just my 2 cents.
Your interior prioritization is understandable. You drive an M6. That said, if you are able to test drive both the F82 and F87, you'll notice the difference in driving dynamics.

Yes, $64k is too much for an M2 with what I'm guessing, include lots of M Performance parts. Even with my extensive mods, I still paid less than that amount.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0