E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Custon 93 Oct Tune Wedge :)

02-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #1
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

Custon 93 Oct Tune Wedge :)

Hi guys,

should probably start my own thread about Ken@ Wedge and his custom 93 Oct tune with MHD. He's been great so far and the car pulls really hard,

On my second flash from him and got a log this morning, below is the latest flash. Car is completely stock 59k miles, EX drop in filter and CP. I just bought a BMS intake and will be getting a VRSF incooler installed in a week or so. After that no other mods, ex some type of gauges. Any thoughts on gauges? I was looking at the P3Cars gauges? Thank you

http://www.datazap.me/u/anmvq/log-14...&data=3-6-7-11

Last edited by ANMVQ; 02-23-2017 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 4
      02-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMVQ View Post
Hi guys,

should probably start my own thread about Ken@ Wedge and his custom 93 Oct tune with MHD. He's been great so far and the car pulls really hard,

On my second flash from him and got a log this morning, below is the latest flash. Car is completely stock 59k miles, EX drop in filter. I just bought a BMS intake and will be getting a VRSF incooler installed in a week or so. After that no other mods, ex some type of gauges. Any thoughts on gauges? I was looking at the P3Cars gauges? Thank you

http://www.datazap.me/u/anmvq/log-14...&data=3-6-7-11
Looks solid, nice to see 22 PSI on 93 Ken will get that throttle closure @ 3100 dialed out for you dont worry. I'm glad you've had a positive experience with Ken as well. Car is holding boost nicely as well 18.7 psi @ 4600.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn View Post
Looks solid, nice to see 22 PSI on 93 Ken will get that throttle closure @ 3100 dialed out for you dont worry. I'm glad you've had a positive experience with Ken as well. Car is holding boost nicely as well 18.7 psi @ 4600.

Thanx man, is the throttle closure something the car normally does? I have read about it but not really sure why it happens? IS that also why I saw timing corrections at the same RPM?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanx man, is the throttle closure something the car normally does? I have read about it but not really sure why it happens? IS that also why I saw timing corrections at the same RPM?
In the OTS tunes you'll see throttle closures due to overboost (actual boost > boost target), however Ken is using commanded wastegate on his custom tunes now which from my understanding doesn't utilize boost target.

If you have an automatic transmission it's probably being induced by a torque limit. We ran into that a couple of times on mine, xDrives have it worst as the Alpina flash doesn't increase the TCU torque limits like it does on the RWD cars for some reason. Ken will sort it out
Appreciate 2
ANMVQ113.50
      02-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335xi Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys,

Car is completely stock 59k miles, EX drop in filter.

Are you saying you don't even have a chargepipe on it? I specifically bought a CP because of how high he gets that boost. Your stock pipe is holding 20-22PSI??!?!
ANMVQ113.50
      02-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #6
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripAndRip View Post
Are you saying you don't even have a chargepipe on it? I specifically bought a CP because of how high he gets that boost. Your stock pipe is holding 20-22PSI??!?!
Mine was on the stock charge pipe as well at 20 psi before I upgraded it lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Opps LOL , I forgot to add that, I do have a CP installed it last week, Stock pipe and 22 PSI would = BOOM!!

Yea I have a Xdrive Alpina Auto, so I guess it's doing that with the TQ limits. I'm sure Ken will iron that out
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #8
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Throttle closures and timing corrections tend to line up as they are both safety mechanisms. Essentially, the car is either seeing overboost or some other issue and is closing the throttle to reduce power. Look at my Dinan logs (overly safe tune), everytime I overboost, it dramatically cuts throttle, and then its a constant battle between demanded power and safety. Unfortunate cause there is so much left on the table. From what I've seen, Ken will have your throttle matching your accel pedal for the entire pull, even through all gears.

http://www.datazap.me/u/gripandrip/g...ta=2-4-5-13-16

This log makes me sad. Look at the throttle closure in response to the long overboost.

Quote:
Mine was on the stock charge pipe as well at 20 psi before I upgraded it lol.
Blowing my mind that your chargepipes didn't crack or break. Don't make me regret buying the VRSF CP haha.
      02-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Dear lord. I've been stalling on my custom 93 oct tune with Ken so I can get my boost leak sorted at my local shop...think that just jumped to the top of my to-do list...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

Is running that high of a boost bad for the stock turbos? Just wondering because the OTS maps only target 14.5 and this is targeting like 22. Looks awesome though! I was about to pay the $300 for Ken's tune myself!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea I have a Xdrive Alpina Auto, so I guess it's doing that with the TQ limits. I'm sure Ken will iron that out
I'm kind of worried about my Xdrive holding me back for this reason. I hope he can remedy it. I don't even have the Alpina flash. Even if he does fix it, I'm hoping that the xHP trans flash comes out for our cars in March and removes the torque limits altogether. Faster shifting doesn't sound bad either. That discussion is probably for a different thread though.

I don't have 93oct here, but I'm hoping Ken can make a Kill map for me using e30 and then maybe a DD map for 91. I wonder how much power he can make on 91.

Last edited by GripAndRip; 02-23-2017 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: spelling error.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm kind of worried about my Xdrive holding me back for this reason. I hope he can remedy it. I don't even have the Alpina flash. Even if he does fix it, I'm hoping that the xHP trans flash comes out for our cars in March and removes the torque limits altogether. Faster shifting doesn't sound bad either. That discussion is probably for a different thread though.

I don't have 93oct here, but I'm hoping Ken can make a Kill map for me using e30 and then maybe a DD map for 91. I wonder how much power he can make on 91.
Oh he can and has already fixed it. He ironed out my car, dont worry
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:00 AM   #13
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
Is running that high of a boost bad for the stock turbos? Just wondering because the OTS maps only target 14.5 and this is targeting like 22.
Would love some insight on this, too...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #14
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
Quote:
Is running that high of a boost bad for the stock turbos? Just wondering because the OTS maps only target 14.5 and this is targeting like 22.
Would love some insight on this, too...
I think it's more of an endurance vs peak thing and how the turbo is being tapered. You are only hitting that PSI for a brief moment and only when you chose to WOT. If your car is a DD, you probably aren't WOT all the time. It seems like the turbos are holding up for those doing this, and I'm sure there are plenty of links to threads and posts by individuals who have their stock turbos tuned like this.

I'm no pro, so someone else wanna confirm the max PSI for our turbos without causing failure? Also how do you define bad? Immediate failure, or decreased life?
      02-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #15
Mikaeldarer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i N55

Quote:
I think it's more of an endurance vs peak thing and how the turbo is being tapered. You are only hitting that PSI for a brief moment and only when you chose to WOT. If your car is a DD, you probably aren't WOT all the time. It seems like the turbos are holding up for those doing this, and I'm sure there are plenty of links to threads and posts by individuals who have their stock turbos tuned like this.

I'm no pro, so someone else wanna confirm the max PSI for our turbos without causing failure? Also how do you define bad? Immediate failure, or decreased life?
Looks to be within tolerance of stock turbo. At 22 psi in lower RPM, wgdc is around 60%. At redline, it's around 80%.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #16
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
Quote:

Looks to be within tolerance of stock turbo. At 22 psi in lower RPM, wgdc is around 60%. At redline, it's around 80%.
Not sure if we can use the wgdc curve to tell if it's within tolerance or not. Ken is adjusting the wastegate duty cycle in his tune isn't he?
      02-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #17
bahn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaeldarer View Post
This, most turbo failures are caused by overheating of the turbo bearings/seals. As WGDC increases so do exhaust gas temps. Having a catless downpipe will help reduce exhaust gas temps as well which will add some more safety margins in. The N55 turbos are made by Borg Warner and are not Mitsubishi turbos like the N54's. The N55 turbo is much more robust and reliable than the Mitsubishi N54's.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #18
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
This, most turbo failures are caused by overheating of the turbo bearings/seals. As WGDC increases so do exhaust gas temps. Having a catless downpipe will help reduce exhaust gas temps as well which will add some more safety margins in. The N55 turbos are made by Borg Warner and are not Mitsubishi turbos like the N54's. The N55 turbo is much more robust and reliable than the Mitsubishi N54's.
So being at 22psi for a brief amount of time would be entirely fine on our cars?

I've been emailing with Ken and about to buy the custom tune but I don't want to run into issues due to running too much boost on the stock n55 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Wow, you've come a long way since your first post! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #20
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Wow, you've come a long way since your first post! Congrats!
Thanx man! Just took some time, still learning about BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #21
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So being at 22psi for a brief amount of time would be entirely fine on our cars?

I've been emailing with Ken and about to buy the custom tune but I don't want to run into issues due to running too much boost on the stock n55 turbo.
Do it , I also don't think Ken would playing with the life of turbo in his tunes. If the 22 PSI is a problem on the stock turbo he'd turn it down. I don't know how big the stock snail is but I'm sure it's not just blowing hot air at 22 PSI for that short amount of time.

I trust him
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #22
GripAndRip
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Flex,

Just tell him the PSI you feel comfortable with. Don't like 22, have him make you a lower PSI map. It's your map, it's custom. Tell him your goals and fears and everything you want the map to be.