THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing F23 Convertible down or not on track?

02-16-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
dukeapenguin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible RWD MT

F23 Convertible down or not on track?

Hello Guys esp F23 owner

When driving a F23 on track, should I make convertible down or not?

rigidity difference? or may cause deformation?

I want you guys opinions on this.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Verts are not allowed in most events. There are usually up and you need to have some sort of roll bar available in the events that do allow verts.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
^^ what he said. Most events will not allow you to have the top down. Some organizations would let me drive with the top down in my s2000.

Also most will not even allow convertibles unless you have a roll bar/hoops. S2k and Boxter have factory roll hoops for example. Either way the soft top offers hardly any protection so I always thought it silly to require the top to be up.

As for being faster with the top down. It depends on the track. On a tight course like Streets of Willow I was faster with the top down. On higher speed courses I would be faster with the top up. Aerodynamics and lower center of gravity being the differences.

Top down track days are a blast
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
dukeapenguin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Verts are not allowed in most events. There are usually up and you need to have some sort of roll bar available in the events that do allow verts.
Luckily the track I always go allow 2 series convertible. But I am still considering get some roll bar to improve overall handle.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
dukeapenguin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
^^ what he said. Most events will not allow you to have the top down. Some organizations would let me drive with the top down in my s2000.

Also most will not even allow convertibles unless you have a roll bar/hoops. S2k and Boxter have factory roll hoops for example. Either way the soft top offers hardly any protection so I always thought it silly to require the top to be up.

As for being faster with the top down. It depends on the track. On a tight course like Streets of Willow I was faster with the top down. On higher speed courses I would be faster with the top up. Aerodynamics and lower center of gravity being the differences.

Name:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  802.5 KB

I am very lucky that my local track allow verts, just helmet and popup roll bars.

I went track days in last year few times, its a slow speed track, lots of low speed turns, so I did top down, feel like a boss.

The only thing I worried about is rigidity, I can feel the rear half of the body is way soft compare to my friends M235i Coupe / M2 so I am considering get some sway bar or what ever something to try to fix this problem.

Anyway, Top down track days are a blast and who care the lap time?
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #6
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeapenguin View Post

Attachment 1573854

I am very lucky that my local track allow verts, just helmet and popup roll bars.

I went track days in last year few times, its a slow speed track, lots of low speed turns, so I did top down, feel like a boss.

The only thing I worried about is rigidity, I can feel the rear half of the body is way soft compare to my friends M235i Coupe / M2 so I am considering get some sway bar or what ever something to try to fix this problem.

Anyway, Top down track days are a blast and who care the lap time?
Depending on the track I would not track a soft top without some rollover protection. Especially the tracks around here with horrible runoff.

I'm sure you get more rigidity with the top up, but it will be minimal. Depending on the track you could be faster with the top down. Sway bars will help with body roll, but may amplify chassis flex. Keep that in mind.

I know some people on here like going with different sway bars, but there is very little ROI with them in terms of the parts and labor cost. Better to be spent on other areas depending on what direction you want to go with the car.

My opinion anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Depending on the track I would not track a soft top without some rollover protection. Especially the tracks around here with horrible runoff.

I'm sure you get more rigidity with the top up, but it will be minimal. Depending on the track you could be faster with the top down. Sway bars will help with body roll, but may amplify chassis flex. Keep that in mind.

I know some people on here like going with different sway bars, but there is very little ROI with them in terms of the parts and labor cost. Better to be spent on other areas depending on what direction you want to go with the car.

My opinion anyway.
I like sways if you have suspension, and lsd. Your car is already loose from no top, if you add a sway to the rear, it will still be loose, but with less contact to the road. Keep it loose in your case. Like anthony235 said "chassis flex" will feel worse, not better.
Appreciate 0