European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > Classifieds > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

02-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Has never heard of customer service. I installed their Active-8 S55 93oct tune on my brand new 2017 M3 with 2k miles. Adds extra power but after 3k miles of driving, no autocross or tracking, my spark plugs are shot and the car misfires like crazy from 5500-7400rpm. I took the 90 minute drive each way through south Florida traffic to their shop in Miami so they could update it to a new map which supposedly fixes the problem. It did not fix the problem and the car still misfires. Their solution was a new set of plugs which they wanted to charge me for. The reason they came out with a new map was because the old map friend spark plugs far too soon, which they admitted to but refused to cover. Now I have drivetrain malfunctions and a check engine light. I wanted to warn other potential customers that even though they pretend to stand behind their product they certainly do not when it doesn't perform as described. Just some pictures and screenshots for irony here. Feel free to ignore whatever bs David and Andrew want to come in here spewing.
Attached Images

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

I'm truly sorry we couldn't come to a solution Justin, even after you PMed me agreeing to send the box back for a refund of your upgrade fee.

That said, here is a log of our transaction history with Justin.

On December 2nd, 2016 he came to Active Autowerke to have our Mid pipe installed, along with an update to his Active-8 unit to the S55 map so it could be used on his M3. We charged him an upgrade fee of $200 to flash the box to the S55 map.

On January 23rd, 2017 Justin PMed me describing misfire issues in 3rd-4th gear between 6-7k rpm. We exchanged a few PMs between the 23rd and 24th, during which he asked for a refund for the box. After failing to locate the sale of the box to him in our system, I asked him if he had purchased it used. At this time he informed me that the Active-8 was purchased from a vendor of ours on August 4th of 2015 (nearly 1.5 years ago).

Shortly after, Justin came in to the shop and we reflashed his box to the new udpated map that we had. We explained to him that some cars were having spark plug issues when running higher boost levels, and that some vehicles have 10k+ miles with no issues and some have plugs that fail earlier. Later that day he called and said that the car was still misfiring at high rpm. We offered to either refund his upgrade fee of $200, or sell him a set of upgraded and gapped plugs at cost, with a highly discounted labor rate as well. He denied both and said that he didn't want to spend anymore money on the car, and that he planned on just selling the Active-8.

Today (February 10th, 2017) he PMed me and again asked for a refund of the entire purchase price of the Active-8 that he purchased a year and a half ago. This is after he posted a for sale thread that made no mention of any issues he was having with the box, with the reason for sale being that he wanted to run meth with a JB4. After I denied a full refund (since he purchased and used the box on his M235i a year and a half ago, and he also did not purchase the box directly from us) and again offered to refund him the $200 upgrade fee that we charged him back in December, he threatened to "spew this all over the discussion boards explaining his experience". At this time he mentioned that the car had 6k miles.

After going back and forth he agreed to ship the box back to us so we could reflash it to the N55 spec, and we agreed on refunding him his $200 at that time. That was the last I heard from him before seeing this thread. I am not sure if he still plans on sending the box to us for a reflash and $200 credit.

Basically, we can't fully refund him for an Active-8 that was purchased in the middle of 2015 and previously installed and used on a different car. We offered to refund him what we charged to update the box to the S55 spec. There are hundreds of cars with our Active-8 installed on the S55 with no issues. WE STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCT, AND OFFERED TO REFUND JUSTIN FOR EXACTLY WHAT HE PAID FOR FOR HIS M3.

His for sale thread also shows the box removed from his car. Since we did not perform the removal, we cannot confirm if the CEL and Drivetrain Malfunction are a result of the removal. If the car is started without a connector completely seated it will throw a CEL. We have never encountered a CEL with the Active-8 properly installed on the S55.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call us M-F from 9am-6pm EST or send me a PM/Email.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wasn't looking for further input on the situation David. I was just discussing my experiences with the enthusiast community so as to help others.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

The last sentence of your OP says otherwise. In any case, I agree with you; I want to make sure that your experiences are discussed thoroughly and accurately.

Also, to hopefully help with your CEL issue, since you removed the box yourself check that the cam sensor connector on the front of the engine is seated properly. The connection is often left loose although it appears to be seated. This will cause a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
The last sentence of your OP says otherwise. In any case, I agree with you; I want to make sure that your experiences are discussed thoroughly and accurately.

Also, to hopefully help with your CEL issue, since you removed the box yourself check that the cam sensor connector on the front of the engine is seated properly. The connection is often left loose although it appears to be seated. This will cause a CEL.
The CEL was due to the drivetrain malfunction after the tune continued to misfire after adaptation.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
The CEL was due to the drivetrain malfunction after the tune continued to misfire after adaptation.
We've never seen that happen before. Even on Andrew's car that we had pegged at redline misfiring on the dyno. Which codes were thrown? What do you mean by adaptation? Was the light still on when you restarted the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 02:46 AM   #7
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Appreciate 0