F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 axleback straight pipe exhaust
Studio RSR

02-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

B58 axleback straight pipe exhaust

Anyone know of an axleback exhaust on the market without a muffler and is just straight pipe? Maybe if any manufacturers have one in development? All the aftermarket ones look very similar to the stock one and are definitely not worth paying over $1k for IMO. I would also assume that by deleting the muffler it would be a less expensive product. I know there are a few options for the N55, figured it would only be a matter of time until there was one offered for the B58.
      02-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Meisterschaft claims their F30 exhaust fits B58, but thats one expensive straight pipe.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

AWE is a small muffler.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Meisterschaft claims their F30 exhaust fits B58, but thats one expensive straight pipe.
Yeah no axleback only exhaust is worth over $1k to me. Maybe a full catback, but definitely not for just the rear section.
      02-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

straight pipe does not sound good in my opinion .. If you do no want to spend money on a real system, get a catless downpipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
straight pipe does not sound good in my opinion .. If you do no want to spend money on a real system, get a catless downpipe
Agree, do yourself a favor and put a real exhaust on. My opinion of course.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleturboVert View Post
Agree, do yourself a favor and put a real exhaust on. My opinion of course.
Full exhaust will sound the best out of all the options mentioned

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #8
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

"custom exhaust" makes me twitch. Straight pipe sounds like a tin can. The noise is all over the place. It has no tone or deepnees... a resonated & catless exhaust sounds the best to me... with a muffler. Plus no muffler drones like shit. Trust me.
Appreciate 1
KD0752.50
      02-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA90 View Post
"custom exhaust" makes me twitch. Straight pipe sounds like a tin can. The noise is all over the place. It has no tone or deepnees... a resonated & catless exhaust sounds the best to me... with a muffler. Plus no muffler drones like shit. Trust me.
Spot on. You just need to be willing to pay the money for a proper custom or aftermarket setup.
Appreciate 1
KD0752.50
      02-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and go for it
      02-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD07 View Post
Catless DP and that Dinan mid section should give you plenty of sound. You want it louder?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #12
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASELINE View Post
Quote:
Catless DP and that Dinan mid section should give you plenty of sound. You want it louder?
I'm not after sound as much as actual power gains, but my main reason for wanting an axleback exhaust was to avoid cutting my stock exhaust and enabling me to remove it fully intact.
      02-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #13
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not after sound as much as actual power gains, but my main reason for wanting an axleback exhaust was to avoid cutting my stock exhaust and enabling me to remove it fully intact.
Have you seen the dynos of full catbacks? The power gains are minuscule at best. The factory system in this car actually flows really well... you've seen the size of it. BMW left little on the table at the power levels we can hit at the moment. Only place you're really making power is DP.

Full cat back exhaust will get you 2-5hp... it's purely done for sound...as a power mod on these cars, it's a joke...and the joke is on our wallets.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have you seen the dynos of full catbacks? The power gains are minuscule at best. The factory system in this car actually flows really well... you've seen the size of it. BMW left little on the table at the power levels we can hit at the moment. Only place you're really making power is DP.

Full cat back exhaust will get you 2-5hp... it's purely done for sound...as a power mod on these cars, it's a joke...and the joke is on our wallets.
Yes, that's why I only wanted a DP and midpipes deleting the resonators. I'm after power and better throttle response. That's why I never wanted to get an aftermarket axleback. Just wanted to keep the stock axleback but didn't realize the stock exhaust was all 1 piece until I already had the midpipes.
      02-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #15
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's why I only wanted a DP and midpipes deleting the resonators. I'm after power and better throttle response. That's why I never wanted to get an aftermarket axleback. Just wanted to keep the stock axleback but didn't realize the stock exhaust was all 1 piece until I already had the midpipes.
Bro..

Cut the stock one already and install that fn midpipe... when she's up for return just weld the stock back up and be done with it. You're giving me anxiety over here.... don't go spending another 1200-1400 on some axle back so you can "save" the stock unit intact. You'll have no issue if it's welded back on. As long as that shit isn't hanging and you're dragging the muffler to the dealer for final inspection you'll be good lmao.

Just do it... it'll be fine lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bro..

Cut the stock one already and install that fn midpipe... when she's up for return just weld the stock back up and be done with it. You're giving me anxiety over here.... don't go spending another 1200-1400 on some axle back so you can "save" the stock unit intact. You'll have no issue if it's welded back on. As long as that shit isn't hanging and you're dragging the muffler to the dealer for final inspection you'll be goo lmao.

Lol damn man alright alright... I'm just waiting on my buddy to lend me the tool to cut it, but in the meantime just weighing all my options before I pull the trigger. Probably going through with it later this week.
      02-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
BASELINE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bro..

Cut the stock one already and install that fn midpipe... when she's up for return just weld the stock back up and be done with it. You're giving me anxiety over here.... don't go spending another 1200-1400 on some axle back so you can "save" the stock unit intact. You'll have no issue if it's welded back on. As long as that shit isn't hanging and you're dragging the muffler to the dealer for final inspection you'll be goo lmao.

Lol damn man alright alright... I'm just waiting on my buddy to lend me the tool to cut it, but in the meantime just weighing all my options before I pull the trigger. Probably going through with it later this week.
I hear ya man... I was just giving you a hard time anyways lol. Do you have a DP on the car yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
KD07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bro..

I hear ya man... I was just giving you a hard time anyways lol. Do you have a DP on the car yet?
Don't have a DP yet. I wanted to get the midpipes on first and see how much louder it is because my girlfriend drives the car sometimes and she would hate it if it's obnoxiously loud. If it's not too bad then I'll go for the DP.

Also, was still debating which one to go with. I have read great things about the ER DP, but if fitment is perfect with the VRSF, I don't see a difference in catless DPs if the diameter is the same. A pipe is a pipe to me if it bolts up nicely, so why not get the cheapest one. Wanted to see some more feedback on the VRSF DP, and unless I hear anything negative, that'll probably be the one because it's almost half the price.
      02-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #19
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Just get a DP and see how you like it then. I'm sure you'll be pleased. All the pipes are the same, nothing to lose sleep over.
      02-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

If you are looking for more power it's senseless to put a muffler delete on before you do a downpipe. The gains are 8-10X as much as removing the muffler by adding a DP
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:18 PM   #21
JayDD007
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Garage List
2020 G07 X7  [0.00]
2013 E70 X5  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
2009 E90 335ix  [0.00]
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
The CG Precision cat back is basically straight piped when the valve is open. Also since it's a cat back it deletes the resonator in the middle. Sound give you all the sound you're looking for as well as stock sound when you want it if you get the valve controller. I couldn't give a stronger recommendation on an exhaust.
Appreciate 0