E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Catless downpipes and home garage

02-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
Jimmy Splash
Boost Marauder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive

Question Catless downpipes and home garage

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question or what not but is there any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning with the smell lingering of a catless setup in a garage connected to our home? And is there any risk of it during long drives if say windows were rolled up the whole time and the smell was quite potent?
      02-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Splash View Post
Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question or what not but is there any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning with the smell lingering of a catless setup in a garage connected to our home? And is there any risk of it during long drives if say windows were rolled up the whole time and the smell was quite potent?
In the garage, if you reverse in and shut the engine off quickly there will be no problem. Even leave the garage door open for 5 minutes to ventilate. OR drive nose in first. No worries! Just don't sit rear in, closed garage, engine idling for 30mins.

There should be no smell with windows up as long as you installed correctly (bolts tight and good seal with the gasket). Only smell would be out the tailpipes.

Personally I think catless dp and 200cel high flow cat in the midpipe is their perfect combo of power and decreased odor. And that's exactly what is happening to my car now (get it back on tues)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 04:03 AM   #3
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

just so you're aware carbon monoxide is completely odourless.

I'm not a fan of running completely catless. if you drive nose first into the garage you should be fine, also move the car out as soon as you start it. definitely don't idle the car in a confined space.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

I start up my car all the time even with the door closed (for about 1 minute or so before I leave) and I have had no problems, the smell even goes away before I leave and the door closes.

No worries, just don't sit there for an excessive amount of time with the door closed/windows up.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
Jimmy Splash
Boost Marauder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
I start up my car all the time even with the door closed (for about 1 minute or so before I leave) and I have had no problems, the smell even goes away before I leave and the door closes.

No worries, just don't sit there for an excessive amount of time with the door closed/windows up.