F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DP Installed = Last (Performance) Mod I'll Need
ARMA SPEED

02-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

DP Installed = Last (Performance) Mod I'll Need

Kind of a pointless post but thought I would mention incase anyone on the fence regarding a DP install needs some convincing.

One of the best upgrades to the vehicle thus far. This is the last piece I'll be doing, no easy to get meth in my part of the world and the turbo upgrade install scares me a little.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

Just had my Wagner Catted DP installed. What a great addition!

We have some horrible conditions so I can't comment on multiple WOT pulls or anything of that sort. Have not gone faster then 110km/h with it on...

But boy does it add to the cars general drivability. I noticed 2 things right off the bat from leaving the shop, and this is when the oil was still cold, so the JB4 was off...

A) In comfort mode the car downshifts WAY less. This is probably me adjusting my driving style as it simply pulls even in higher gears and I most likely subconciously let off the pedal as theres no need for a downshift to get to the speed I desire. But this is a HUGE plus. Touch the pedal and the power is available MUCH sooner then previously.

B) With the JB4 on, and a TINY bit with the JB4 off (off due to the oil being too cold that is, I never map 0), I used to get a bit of a clutch-slip feel between gear shifts. My understanding is this is due to the turbo lag. This is completly gone now. The shifts are now butter smooth and there is no ''head-bop". Huge plus. The vehicle FEELS much better.

C) The sound for me is just right. There is a clear distinction between when the JB4 kicks in. I run a MPE exhaust and the wagner + MPE is perfect in all modes for me. Not super loud like my full akra was on the e92 m3, but much more aggressive then the stock system.

Overall, like others have said... Probably the best mod the car took.

As mentioned, this is probably the end of the road as far as power mods go for me. All that would be left is the turbo upgrade and meth, not going to happen for the reasons mentioned above.

And on a final note, its incredible how much bang for the buck the mods for these cars put out. I decided to do it all as soon as possible (bought the car used @ start of dec 2016) so I can enjoy the shit out of it. I have done a quick calculation, about 6K USD in performance / few interior bits / few exterior bits and labour, and the car has been very much transformed. I know 6K isn't exactly chump change, but not bad at all to bring the car up to a fairly 'dayum! thats nice' shape. That 6K is including 3 or 4 repairs as well. HUD sensor, drivers mirror motor was bad, blower was making noise, smart opener sensor and a few other parts... most bought used except for the HUD sensor. Included in there is also a few retrofits, including surround view and the F80 steering wheel.

Very satisfied with the vehicle now.

All that is left bugging me is the rattles and squeeks. But I figure I should be able to deal with those if I put my head to it.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Nice review. I agree that a DP is a great mod. JB4 gives that power, but a DP adds the sound and feel, like you say, that elevates these cars towards the exotic end. I had my tune and DP off for the month of Dec. and I sure missed the DP the most.
      02-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0