F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan exhaust vs AWE vs ...
proTUNING Freaks

02-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
B58M240i
Rep
Drives: M240i

Dinan exhaust vs AWE vs ...

I've watched every video out there and have narrowed my exhaust search down to Dinan with midpipe or AWE (possibly with midpipe). I know this has been discussed a lot already but I would love to hear feedback from those of you who own or have heard these systems in person. If anyone would be willing to meet up in the Houston area so I could hear it in person, it'd be greatly appreciated! Please let me know. I have an M240i but the sound should be very similar and you 340 guys have had access to these systems for a while now, while they're just now coming out for my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58M240i View Post
I've watched every video out there and have narrowed my exhaust search down to Dinan with midpipe or AWE (possibly with midpipe). I know this has been discussed a lot already but I would love to hear feedback from those of you who own or have heard these systems in person. If anyone would be willing to meet up in the Houston area so I could hear it in person, it'd be greatly appreciated! Please let me know. I have an M240i but the sound should be very similar and you 340 guys have had access to these systems for a while now, while they're just now coming out for my car.
Your beat bet is to see if you can find someone with a local car. This way you will really get to hear what it sounds like and decide if you like it. The AWE is a great exhaust.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I agree with Mike, videos aren't really going to do it justice. Hearing a cold start in person is nothing like over youtube IMO. You may get an idea of tone when comparing lots of them to each other, but some people use a potato cam with awful mics, your speakers may suck, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
B58M240i
Rep

I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully I'll be able to connect with someone nearby who has one of these setups. I've been meaning to head to cars and coffee but I'm out of town or busy most weekends. Having a younger girlfriend who is still in college in another city makes that difficult. Still a worthy tradeoff though lol
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Can't speak for the Dinan exhaust but I recently purchased and installed the AWE Tuning exhaust with the non-resonated midpipe. Unfortunately don't have any quality videos but I'll try my best to describe it.

The videos floating around really don't do this exhaust justice. The exhaust is perfect for daily driving. It's just loud enough to where it's not too quiet and it's not ear-shattering. The tone of the exhaust is smooth yet aggressive. Cold starts are brutal. There's a subtle but noticeable difference inside the cabin in terms of noise volume, however there is absolutely no drone. Haven't heard the car from outside the cabin but my friend with an E92 335i w/ MPE said it overpowered his exhaust and radio. Where this exhaust shines is in the overrun on throttle liftoff. The pops, bangs, and burbles are insane. I'd say they're better than what you get with the MPPSK, and the full AWE system is half the price. As someone who had trouble deciding between the exhausts you mentioned, I 100% recommend the AWE Tuning exhaust. Don't regret my purchase at all.

TL;DR: Get the AWE Tuning exhaust.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully I'll be able to connect with someone nearby who has one of these setups. I've been meaning to head to cars and coffee but I'm out of town or busy most weekends. Having a younger girlfriend who is still in college in another city makes that difficult. Still a worthy tradeoff though lol
Try the regional section ... I hear AWE in person and it sounds amazing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'm wondering if it will sound raspy with catless dp or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'm wondering if it will sound raspy with catless dp or not.
I believe there's a video on AWE's youtube page of the full system paired to a catless downpipe. Obviously it won't capture the true sound but it gives a pretty good idea of how raspy the car will sound.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 11:20 PM   #9
B58M240i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Can't speak for the Dinan exhaust but I recently purchased and installed the AWE Tuning exhaust with the non-resonated midpipe. Unfortunately don't have any quality videos but I'll try my best to describe it.

The videos floating around really don't do this exhaust justice. The exhaust is perfect for daily driving. It's just loud enough to where it's not too quiet and it's not ear-shattering. The tone of the exhaust is smooth yet aggressive. Cold starts are brutal. There's a subtle but noticeable difference inside the cabin in terms of noise volume, however there is absolutely no drone. Haven't heard the car from outside the cabin but my friend with an E92 335i w/ MPE said it overpowered his exhaust and radio. Where this exhaust shines is in the overrun on throttle liftoff. The pops, bangs, and burbles are insane. I'd say they're better than what you get with the MPPSK, and the full AWE system is half the price. As someone who had trouble deciding between the exhausts you mentioned, I 100% recommend the AWE Tuning exhaust. Don't regret my purchase at all.

Thats probably the best description of an exhaust system I've ever read. You basically have me sold haha. I'm a little concerned about the loud cold starts when I'm at the office but at the end of the day, I work hard and cars are what I like so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm still waiting until they become available so I'll just try to hear one in person before then. If not, between you and Mike's feedback I'm sure I'll be very pleased with AWE's setup.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #10
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post

Thats probably the best description of an exhaust system I've ever read. You basically have me sold haha. I'm a little concerned about the loud cold starts when I'm at the office but at the end of the day, I work hard and cars are what I like so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm still waiting until they become available so I'll just try to hear one in person before then. If not, between you and Mike's feedback I'm sure I'll be very pleased with AWE's setup.
When I said cold starts were brutal, I meant in a good way (at least to me). I park in a parking garage every day and I've yet to have any complaints from neighbors about the cold start. It'll be loud for about 15-20 seconds and then settle, but it doesn't shake the entire building (ok, maybe a little ). It's definitely louder than you'd expect but it's not terrible like some people make it out to be. Different strokes for different folks and all that. If you want, I can find some time to get some sound clips for you. Won't be same as in person but I can try my best. All I can say is that I have a shit-eating grin on my face from the time I start the car up to the time I get out, every single day.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

Catted DP and Dinan. In person it's perfect. Really nice burbles and nice deeep note especially on cold start. Zero drone.
As stated above the YouTube does no justice but you can hear the difference between stock and final.

Plus it's legal! No CEL yet with CG 5" pipe
      02-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinLuv View Post

Catted DP and Dinan. In person it's perfect. Really nice burbles and nice deeep note especially on cold start. Zero drone.
As stated above the YouTube does no justice but you can hear the difference between stock and final.

Plus it's legal! No CEL yet with CG 5" pipe
No CELs? I see in your signature you have a JB4 that would clear any CELs.
I'm interested in the Catted DP, has anyone run one without a JB4?
Appreciate 0