BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 and heat stress

01-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
SteveVai
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

M2 and heat stress

I live in Australia (Brisbane). We are into the tail end of summer and have noticed that she (M2) doesn't like the heat/humidity from time to time. I've been advised (through a tuning house) to change the inter-cooler to a Wagner inter-cooler, as this one is far thicker and has more cooling cores and provides far better cooling and better performance with a tune. Thoughts anyone...
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

I recall Matt Farah mentioning the M2 being particularly susceptible to heat-soak in his initial review of it. First time I've heard that claim verified by an owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveVai View Post
I live in Australia (Brisbane). We are into the tail end of summer and have noticed that she (M2) doesn't like the heat/humidity from time to time. I've been advised (through a tuning house) to change the inter-cooler to a Wagner inter-cooler, as this one is far thicker and has more cooling cores and provides far better cooling and better performance with a tune. Thoughts anyone...
While I am sure the tuning shop would love to mod your car ... can you give a little more insight into what exactly you are experiencing and under what conditions.

For example.. street .. or track. Cruising or getting on it.. or ...perhaps just while sittting in traffic? ! ? What are the ambient temps and humidity and what is the car doing /saying. ?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Maybe in springtime I'd go for a bigger IC, this one:
http://www.lightweight-titanauspuffa...mw-m2-f87.html

But atm 16:30 CET it's zero (0)degrees Celsius overhere, that's 32F?

So no worries

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
SteveVai
Rep

I've just noticed that sometimes she seems to be not as a responsive as other times (just driving around town/cruising). It appears to be the case when it is a very warm day. Above 28 degrees Celsius, and with humidity very high. To me it's a little frustrating, but something I can deal with. I will put in a new inter-cooler at some stage...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Maybe in springtime I'd go for a bigger IC, this one:
http://www.lightweight-titanauspuffa...mw-m2-f87.html

But atm 16:30 CET it's zero (0)degrees Celsius overhere, that's 32F?

So no worries

Cheers
Robin
LW IC looks very much like a Wagner to me. More details please?
      01-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
LW IC looks very much like a Wagner to me. More details please?
https://trackparts.ch/Wagner-Competi...-335i-F30-EVO2

I'm not sure but are the LC and Wagner the same IC??

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
While I am sure the tuning shop would love to mod your car ... can you give a little more insight into what exactly you are experiencing and under what conditions.

For example.. street .. or track. Cruising or getting on it.. or ...perhaps just while sittting in traffic? ! ? What are the ambient temps and humidity and what is the car doing /saying. ?
Best thing to do before spending any money on an intercooler is to buy an obd Bluetooth adapter and download DashCommand then monitor the air intake temp. It could just be that the air is just generally to warm/humid and it wouldn't matter what car you have, these conditions are just not ideal for an internal combustion engine especially one with a conventional turbo / air intercooler. This is even more of an issue if you are doing hard pulls, sitting in traffic and repeating. Also, make sure you are running premium fuel to help with knock.
Appreciate 4
Robin_NL8723.00
kezm231.00
      01-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
Quote:

Best thing to do before spending any money on an intercooler is to buy an obd Bluetooth adapter and download DashCommand then monitor the air intake temp. It could just be that the air is just generally to warm/humid and it wouldn't matter what car you have, these conditions are just not ideal for an internal combustion engine especially one with a conventional turbo / air intercooler. This is even more of an issue if you are doing hard pulls, sitting in traffic and repeating. Also, make sure you are running premium fuel to help with knock.
Agree. 100 percent.

You're not gonna be able to defeat the laws of physics by simply adding a larger intercooler.

I've taken my 1M out on a track day in temps over 100 degrees with humidity. That would be above 37 degrees Celsius in Australia. While the car didn't feel as fast, I began watching my speeds at the end of the straights and they were indeed the same as with cooler conditions.

More than likely the vehicle just FEELS a bit sluggish and is still performing admirably.

I think OP just has the mod bug
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Agree. 100 percent.

You're not gonna be able to defeat the laws of physics by simply adding a larger intercooler.

I've taken my 1M out on a track day in temps over 100 degrees with humidity. That would be above 37 degrees Celsius in Australia. While the car didn't feel as fast, I began watching my speeds at the end of the straights and they were indeed the same as with cooler conditions.

More than likely the vehicle just FEELS a bit sluggish and is still performing admirably.

I think OP just has the mod bug
Agreed.

And your point on your speeds being the same at the end of the straight is a good one. This is most likely because of the forced induction and intercooler being able to do its job in not getting heat soaked by way of a constant airflow passing through, something that won't happen on short pulls.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
reddemon
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
whats the temperature there like?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
SteveVai
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon View Post
Over 30 degrees most days with medium to high humidity...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #13
reddemon
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
how do you know your m2 doesnt like the heat and humidity?care to share?

i reside in singapore.avg temp year round on the high can be 33-34 degrees and extremely high humidity.

my previous AMG in malaysia sepang F1 track only manages 1.5 laps before engine oil hits 130 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 12:27 AM   #14
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Interesting. And yes in summer my car feels less in anything minus grip and traction...

Atm with the 18 inch wintersetup and about -1 Celsius/ 30 Fahrenheit it's bloody fast.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #15
marcusfva
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: M2'17 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
https://trackparts.ch/Wagner-Competi...-335i-F30-EVO2

I'm not sure but are the LC and Wagner the same IC??

Cheers
Robin
I think it's the same Lightweight/Wagner. They didn't take any pictures of the side where usually you find the Wagner logo.
This Spring I will go for a Wagner IC too (Evo I Competition I was thinking, no ECU tuning).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #16
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

over here, its hot and humid. Over +30 degrees celsius anyday. Still have not experienced any heat soak issues. At least, not that i am aware of. Did a track day about a month ago. Pushed the car hard. many 12-15 minute sessions. No problems. only mod: castrol srf liquid. Was pretty happy.
      01-25-2017, 07:56 AM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We call that " Spring" in Texas ..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

Would be keen to hear from Prodigy. about how it feels in Perth. High 30s is the norm for Summer with occasion 40+ degree days. No real humidity though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #19
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
how do you know your m2 doesnt like the heat and humidity?care to share?

i reside in singapore.avg temp year round on the high can be 33-34 degrees and extremely high humidity.

my previous AMG in malaysia sepang F1 track only manages 1.5 laps before engine oil hits 130 degrees.
IAT and Engine/Transmission oil temp, though related in some way, are different things. IAT climbing causes timing being pulled and thus loss of power, which isn't necessarily in company with high oil temp.

In fact, your observation is correct, m2 is pretty good at managing engine heat. Though IAT is a known issue.
      01-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I get heatsoak on track if I raise the boost, but not under stock power levels.

I am currently working with CSF radiators to produce a custom M2 Oil cooler, DCT cooler, radiator, and intercooler. I used their stuff on my previous car and it was the only way I got it performing properly under hot conditions when the boost went up.
Appreciate 2