E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Idle Issue n55 335xdrive.. Need Help!!!

01-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
335MRod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335i xdrive black

Idle Issue n55 335xdrive.. Need Help!!!

So I've been having some idle issue on my car recently and they only seem to get worse. When I first start it up and go in reverse or drive the RPM's jump up and down and the car stutters a bit almost like its going to stall. Also, when I'm driving slowly and turn the wheel the RPM's start jumping up and down again. I took some logs with my cobb I'm not sure how to read it but maybe someone can give me a hand. Thanks in advance. In the first log I took it for a 15 min drive and on the second I logged the specific issue.

Logs:

http://datazap.me/u/mrod/log-1485110...-9-10-11-12-17

http://datazap.me/u/mrod/log-1485110749?log=0&data=17

**EDIT** so as I mentioned before I took of my cobb tune and after driving around for a while it seems like the issues have gone away. Rpm's do jump up a bit when I turn the wheel completely to the right but definitely nothing compare to what it was before. Anyone having this issue if you have a cobb I would say give a try to uninstalling it and drive it around for a while . At first it didn't change anything but after a while the issues went away.
**EDIT** Well after a few more days it seems like the problem has come back and now is worse. I can't turn my steering wheel without my RPM's going crazy, I will be taking it to a shop tomorrow and let's see what they say...

Last edited by 335MRod; 01-25-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

No idea about the logs but do you have an aftermarket intake? Have you cleaned your maf recently ? How old is your filter?

That's where I'd start........
Appreciate 1
335MRod65.50
      01-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
335MRod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_ View Post
No idea about the logs but do you have an aftermarket intake? Have you cleaned your maf recently ? How old is your filter?

That's where I'd start........
I have an Injen cold air the filter is brand new about a month old I will take a look at the MAF sensor I have not cleaned out recently. Thanks
      01-22-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Mean E92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 335i

I have the same symptoms as you and I have been chasing the issue for almost a year :\ Hopefully we can find the solution
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
JB4N
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

I have the same type symptoms. Dealer said it is common on the the E series n55, but there is no fix currently. I have the most up to date DME software. Wonder if it could be ignition coil related? Thats the only thing I have not changed yet. New spark plugs made no difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #6
Mean E92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4N View Post
I have the same type symptoms. Dealer said it is common on the the E series n55, but there is no fix currently. I have the most up to date DME software. Wonder if it could be ignition coil related? Thats the only thing I have not changed yet. New spark plugs made no difference.
I updated my DME and it has only stopped it from stalling out again. That annoying idle is still there. I tried new NGK plugs gapped at .22 but that didn't help.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
335MRod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So a buddy of mine suggested to take off Cobb tune, initially it didn't make a difference but I went out this morning and it would seem like everything is normal now. I didn't drive much but I will go out later and test it again and see where I'am.

**Also, with cobb tune it would seem like my car was idleling at 600 rpm and it would shake a lot. This morning when i took it out it stood steady at 650 rpm and no shaking. Again, when I take the car out again I will give update.**
      01-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I've been dealing with the same for a while. Even stalled a couple times in the past. I'm going to be change the plugs soon. I've had some misfires. I'll explore what else I can do to help.
      01-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
AnthemX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M Sport

I've experienced some random misfires and rough cold startups recently on my 2011 335 XI. After a week or so of this behavior, the car misfired badly on startup, throwing codes and refusing to start all together. I was due for some new plugs anyways so I went ahead and replaced the coils and plugs in one go.

To my brief relief, the car started up instantly ran very smoothly but it was a bit short lived because the symptoms started back up again the 2 mornings later. I was convinced at this point I had an injector issue and booked an appointment at the dealer.

I knew my battery was on it's last leg and I had purchased a replacement from Costco. Though it might be a good idea to go ahead and install/code it before my appointment. I don't know if the replacing the battery reset the ECU/Adaptation or if the week battery was behind the ignition issues but the problem is solved. I'm on 3 weeks of flawless starts with 0 idle issues. If you are on the original battery, it might be worth replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Mean E92
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemX View Post
I've experienced some random misfires and rough cold startups recently on my 2011 335 XI. After a week or so of this behavior, the car misfired badly on startup, throwing codes and refusing to start all together. I was due for some new plugs anyways so I went ahead and replaced the coils and plugs in one go.

To my brief relief, the car started up instantly ran very smoothly but it was a bit short lived because the symptoms started back up again the 2 mornings later. I was convinced at this point I had an injector issue and booked an appointment at the dealer.

I knew my battery was on it's last leg and I had purchased a replacement from Costco. Though it might be a good idea to go ahead and install/code it before my appointment. I don't know if the replacing the battery reset the ECU/Adaptation or if the week battery was behind the ignition issues but the problem is solved. I'm on 3 weeks of flawless starts with 0 idle issues. If you are on the original battery, it might be worth replacing it.
I have replaced my battery a year ago. I think my battery is fine.
Appreciate 0