BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW 5 Series TV Commercial: BUSINESS ATHLETE. Manager.

01-20-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW 5 Series TV Commercial: BUSINESS ATHLETE. Manager.

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW 5 Series TV Commercial: BUSINESS ATHLETE. Manager.
COMMENTS

With just weeks to go before the seventh-generation BMW 5 Series Sedan reaches dealerships, international communications are entering a decisive stage. At the center of the campaign is the new TV commercial featuring Hollywood’s Scott Eastwood.

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 3
Pentium184.50
Niko ZV118.00
corchar12.50
      01-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This is best they could come up with?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Lol cheese ball
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Yeah. That one is sorely lacking. Trying too hard.
      01-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Ugh After seeing this... I'm even happier that there is not a BMW super bowl ad.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I like this car...looks a beauty from every angle!
That's why I didn't hear what they are saying in the ad :P
Eddien1231849.00
      01-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #7
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Not the best spot, but the g30 is looking good! Can't wait to finally see the M5 in action, perhaps in silverstone metallic.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

"Let technology support you. Never lose control"

*8 years from now* "introducing the fully autonomous 5 series."

Jokes aside this new 5er seems pretty sweet. I don't know how well the gesture control works but it's nice to see they brought it down from the 7
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Merc launched a commercial for the new E-class during the fall during some major NFL games. I like their approach much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #10
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Scott Eastwood should be in BMW films running M cars !!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:04 PM   #11
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
No one has that kind of lifestyle. Lets be real, this car is going to be spending most of its time in a parking lot/garage/ or in traffic.

Not some idealized vision of 30 something dude living in the hills, who can apparently park his car up the curb in a downtown office building. Oh and no traffic at all? HA

It seems BMW's marketing dept made a matrix of data from its customers and tried to hit them all. BMW look at apple if u want to know how to make an ad.
Appreciate 2
Brookside243.50
DeeKay553.00
      01-21-2017, 11:55 PM   #12
Taratata
Registered
Rep
Drives: F26, F46 and F31

Well, as a woman in my 30's, I can't feel the appeal out of that ad, although the car looks great. Too dark, too cold, too unrealistic. Unattractive, that is. Actually, I wonder what customers are targeted with such an ad, seriously. Business athletes? What a joke.
Appreciate 1
Brookside243.50
      01-22-2017, 05:55 AM   #13
shanecarmaster1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 325i, F01 750Li, e38 740i

The responses so far are interesting to me because it actually overlaps with my field of study - sociology. The general rundown is that the ad exudes traits that the public (in some way) yearns for, finds attractive, or will be taught to aspire by the ad. For instance, clothing ads these days basically lack text and taglines, rather they're illustrations to depict ideal lifestyles, personalities, ideals and morals, sex life, professional life, home life, style, priorities, relationships etc. - pictures really do tell a thousand words. Consumers internally process these depictions as ideal because of how they're presented. The best part of it all is how mountains of data show that ads DO work and do shape our culture, yet no consumer seems to think they're ever vulnerable and affected. We internally make thousands of judgements when we see something like that, and most of which is subconscious. Ads teach us our culture.

That being said, this particular ad IS a bit cheesy and lame. However, it plays with so many ideal types in advertising and I bet it'll sell cars. The cultural expectation that men are "real men" when they are sophisticated, technological, attractive, athletic, rich and smart, etc. is a perfect match to a new 5 series. "That's the car champions drive", in a sense. It teases with a persona you can't be, even though it's labelled as most ideal, and you buy a 5 series either to feel some of these traits for your self-esteem, or to labor under a misunderstanding that your social status improves because you're melding with higher status men and car owners. It's an unsolvable feedback loop of giving in to a taught unhappiness, therefore consuming some goods to fix it. Problem is it keeps going.

I could drone on and on and on, but I'll cut it off there. That being said, this commercial was lame as shit. I wish they made commercials that used to make my heart race, like the E39 M5 desert ad, or the e46 "inline-6 RWD" ad that was basically an engine soundtrack. Those were the days.
      01-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post
The responses so far are interesting to me because it actually overlaps with my field of study - sociology. The general rundown is that the ad exudes traits that the public (in some way) yearns for, finds attractive, or will be taught to aspire by the ad. For instance, clothing ads these days basically lack text and taglines, rather they're illustrations to depict ideal lifestyles, personalities, ideals and morals, sex life, professional life, home life, style, priorities, relationships etc. - pictures really do tell a thousand words. Consumers internally process these depictions as ideal because of how they're presented. The best part of it all is how mountains of data show that ads DO work and do shape our culture, yet no consumer seems to think they're ever vulnerable and affected. We internally make thousands of judgements when we see something like that, and most of which is subconscious. Ads teach us our culture.

That being said, this particular ad IS a bit cheesy and lame. However, it plays with so many ideal types in advertising and I bet it'll sell cars. The cultural expectation that men are "real men" when they are sophisticated, technological, attractive, athletic, rich and smart, etc. is a perfect match to a new 5 series. "That's the car champions drive", in a sense. It teases with a persona you can't be, even though it's labelled as most ideal, and you buy a 5 series either to feel some of these traits for your self-esteem, or to labor under a misunderstanding that your social status improves because you're melding with higher status men and car owners. It's an unsolvable feedback loop of giving in to a taught unhappiness, therefore consuming some goods to fix it. Problem is it keeps going.

I could drone on and on and on, but I'll cut it off there. That being said, this commercial was lame as shit. I wish they made commercials that used to make my heart race, like the E39 M5 desert ad, or the e46 "inline-6 RWD" ad that was basically an engine soundtrack. Those were the days.
I hope the data collected from this ad shows that the guy depicted in this commercial is the stereotypical BMW that all the other drivers on the road hate.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Totally for middle managers LOLL
      01-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #16
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanecarmaster1 View Post

Good insight. I think of spending less money on my next car, but then see an ad like this that tells me I have to have a new 5 to compliment my modern house and professional success. I know it is psychological manipulation - hell, I do the same thing in retail design - but still it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #17
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

Maybe they should have first consulted with Don Draper...
      01-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
someMoreMplease
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 AY DCT

Sadly Scott Eastwood is neither a business man/ manager nor is he an athlete. He's a medial hollywood actor with a famous and rich dad. Oh and also oozing cheese.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 07:03 AM   #19
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 M40i

i like the ads (the girl is hot) and Eastwood doesn't bother me. Think the car looks great spec'd like that - think that's bluestone metallic with ivory interior and 20" style 759's. None of the cars that i've seen in stock on cars.com have arrived with 20's.
Appreciate 0