THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

01-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #1
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

Hi guys, posted this in the M2 forum and got crickets. Hoping this is a better forum based on the topic. It's not technically coding, but I'm hoping you guys can help me out with esys. TIA!

----

Being the idiot I am, I tore into my brand new M2 to hard wire a dash cam. I have a mobius and was thinking it may be cool and stealthy to put it at the base of the passenger A pillar, running the cable from the green/brown wire underneath the console above the rearview mirror. Ended up succeeding and getting power to the lower right windshield are but haven't rigged a mount yet. Still TBD. FWIW, the A Pillar is a PITA.

But, long story short, after I put everything back together, I have a Service Request warning for Passenger Restraint System Malfunction. I DID disconnect the maplight console and yes, probably turned on the ignition at some point in that state, so I'm HOPING that it's a simple reset somewhere rather than a stretched wire in that harness. I struggled with splicing that wire and could have done something to adjacent wires, but doubt it.

I have esys and cable and have coded a few things. I googled the error and didn't find anything crystal clear for F22/87 about how to reset the error. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I could take an educated guess or try to figure it out, but I'd rather stand on the shoulders of giants for anything as important as safety features considering my trivial knowledge on the subject.

Can anyone point me to a how-to for resetting warnings? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Peter/CantComplain
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

edit: I was able to clear this message.

I went into E-Sys, external applications, and launched transmitter. For kicks, I went through every "read" service and ran it. I've saved that results text file and will go over it at some point to see if there's any interesting information. When I ran across "Clear DTC" I ran that and the error immediately cleared. If it was a simple DTC, I guess any old app or OBD reader probably would have worked. unfortunately I don't own an Android anymore and couldn't use torque.

Anywho, all's well that ends well.

Last edited by CantComplain; 01-24-2017 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: figured it out
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
edit: I was able to clear this message.

I went into E-Sys, external applications, and launched transmitter. For kicks, I went through every "read" service and ran it. I've saved that results text file and will go over it at some point to see if there's any interesting information. When I ran across "Clear DTC" I ran that and the error immediately cleared. If it was a simple DTC, I guess any old app or OBD reader probably would have worked. unfortunately I don't own an Android anymore and couldn't use torque.

Anywho, all's well that ends well.
When coding ACSM (Advanced Crash Safety Module), the one for seat belt warnings, as well as some other ECU's (eg, ICM), you can get a false positive and clear with the same last line in External Transmitter. There are other lines specifically for airbags as well as locking airbag in ISTA+ or Toolset32 after programming.
Appreciate 0