E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BPC Tune initial impressions

01-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

BPC Tune initial impressions

Take everything here with a gain of salt. I've installed the tune using the OFT and have driven the car for 30 minutes. This thread is a documentation of my initial impressions of the BPC tune from that short drive.

First, a bit of history on the car.
It's essentially the most sluggish combo you can have - e91 xdrive auto.
Yep. Total family hauler. The powertrain is all stock, save for the 3 stage manifold. Stock cats/exhaust/intake/everything else. I've had the AA tune previously, and purchased the OFT to disable the engine light when i go catless and also alter the throttle mapping (as the AA tune did not do this). The car with this setup was fine, although to be honest, I was disappointed. The 3 stage IM did not feel terribly different after the AA tune. Yes, the AA tune picked up power at the top of the rev band (specifically above 4 through to 6k - all power dies after 6 with the cat protection). But otherwise, the car did not drive all that different, and I didn't truly feel that I had my money worth on that tune.

Like many here, I did a bunch of reading on the BPC thread, but also picked up some good info from the plethora of posts by hassmaschine which detailed out a bunch of good information on the maps. With that, I went with BPC after much internal deliberation!

The process itself was very seamless. I used my OFT to pull the original file from the ECU (which btw, was an AA file). Sent it to Bob @ BPC. Bob confirmed he could work with the file and went to town at adjusting maps after having a brief chat with me on my needs, the car's usecase (an autowagon which sees track time and time attack - yes, weird). He sent me back a file within a couple hours. My file was essentially:

1) BPC Stage 2 tune for 3stage IM on N52
2) Cat overheat protection thresholds adjusted so that power is maintained above 6k rpm for a longer period

Otherwise, my BPC tune was just an off the shelf stage 2 tune with the exception of cat overheat adjusted. I went into this with a very objective mindset and simply wanted to see what was most obvious in the change of the car with this new tune.

Most immediately after driving, the biggest change actually was the behavior of the auto trans. It shifts faster and harder. No idea why - and perhaps it has to do with the temperatures outside today. I do not believe the ECU tune would have anything to do with the auto trans, but hear me out. The auto trans always shifted slowly - very evident when you listen to an auto trans with an exhaust. You hear the shift points and the gears dropping down from 1 to the next. There is a prolonged delay during those gear changes, and the duration of time you hear the exhaust note change is what's expected of a slushbox. With the BPC tune, the best way I can explain it is that it sounds more like a dual clutch shifting - no, of course it is not that fast, but the time it takes to move from one gear to the next is notably faster. What's more, downshifts via paddle shifters also feel sped up. Perhaps there is zero change in downshift speed here. But what happens for certain is that it is smoother. As many with N52 auto's know, the car will rev match for you on downshifts. The motor rpm's go up, and the torque converter spins up as you move down a gear. This action is somewhat labored and certainly not the quickest. As a result, each downshift is felt with a mild jerk at times - especially at higher RPM's. With the BPC tune, this is no longer the case. I can take a vid for those interested. Definitely something different here. It should be noted that all of these changes may be a result of transmission adaptations being reset - not certain if this occurs with a new flash. I will say that my OFT flash and my AA flash - neither of these yielded these results immediately after the tune. So certainly, BPC changed something to the benefit of the shifting characteristics of the car.

Throttle response is fast - very quick. Feels cable like (finally!). Touch the pedal and the rpm's swing up in neutral. There is no longer this dead spot in the middle of the pedal - where any extra pedal travel does little to nothing. This enhancement made the car much more fun to drive and alert feeling. Very welcome.

I will say this - in DS mode, the car can be jerky around 1500rpms. If I'm just chugging along at those rpms (on the highway during rushhour), and I'm just modulating the gas - literally just breathing on the pedal lightly - maybe 10% pedal input. The car will jerk. it's almost like when in DS, the car doesnt know if it should lock the torque converter or downshift or what. This only happens between 1500 to 2k rpms. Above that, it feels fine. I should also note that this behavior is not exhibited in manual shifting mode. But left in DS - it's definitely there...and I can see this making passengers feel sick.

I won't comment yet on actual power, as it was rush hour and I didn't get much opportunity to play with it. that said, I will say that between 3k to 4k rpm, the car has woken up. Previously, it would feel quite flat there, and really need to hit above 4k before you felt anything. Now, it's punchier. Not to say it makes any special power in that rev range - not the case at all. But it's certainly more alive, and can close gaps in traffic easier. The entire character of the motor and trans has been transformed, making the car feel very different from when it had the AA tune. Very fun to drive, and much more engaging. Honestly, worth every cent. Had I known about BPC in the first place, I would have skipped AA. Very, very different from the AA tune.

And because I have a flash tablet, I can flash back to AA, throw it on a dyno and flash to BPC and do the same thing and log the difference. I'll get this done one of these days. But for now, the above is my initial impressions on BPC. More to follow with more driving.

TL;DR - Car feels entirely different. Surprisingly, the autobox shifts differently as well. Everything is hastened. D mode feels like DS mode used to. DS mode is simply hyper. Manual mode downshifts are quicker and smoother with rev matching. Shifts in D mode are harder and faster. power between 3k to 4k is improved, making covering ground easier in those rpm bands.

Track day & Car setup blog

Last edited by boro92; 01-13-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 6
      01-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

going to have to agree on all of your points you have made (me being 328xi auto ) i also experience the jerkiness of the trans around 1k - 1.3k at times. My car definitely moves now and I'm happy with their tune. headers or 3IM are next for me on my list of things to do.
Appreciate 1
boro92146.00
      01-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Thanks very helpful!

One question, can you clarify what you meant when you said your stock tune sent over was AA? Does that mean you had an AA tune previously and what you sent was backup of the stock map created by the AA tool? And the takeaway being despite having a tune profusely BPC was able to work with it?
      01-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Thanks very helpful!

One question, can you clarify what you meant when you said your stock tune sent over was AA? Does that mean you had an AA tune previously and what you sent was backup of the stock map created by the AA tool? And the takeaway being despite having a tune profusely BPC was able to work with it?
Correct. The file I had sent to BPC was my AA flashed file (read: non stock file). Bob reviewed it and modified it. As for the specifics behind that, he'd know. He did mention to me on the phone that the BPC tune may not be all that different from AA - 5 to 10 whp difference depending on trans. It's possible that BPC may have only seen the AA dyno tune and not the off the shelf tune....because what BPC delivered back to me is an entirely different beast from the AA tune. The AA one is no comparison whatsoever. BPC's flash is on another level entirely.

Appreciate 1
      01-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

You'll need a few WOT to feel the difference, but I honestly don't expect there to be a huge peak power difference as much as there is for low-midrange power. I'm betting increasing those torque limits also allow the car to have those firmer shifts.

What is done to the car in terms of mods?

Waiting to hear more of your impressions.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

TheAxiom yes the difference is certainly felt in the mid range.
One major factor in my decision to switch to BPC is more useable power (read: getting more grunt out of the mid range). The car is certainly more lively there. Whether there is any difference up top is of little concern to me, as I was fine with how the car previously responded in the upper rev band (except for above 6k where there was absolutely no point in shifting at 7k - i often shifted just after 6k). I'll give it some WOT runs and report back on any changes I experience up there.

The car is stock drivetrain wise.
Chassis (sphericals, alloy subframe bushings, camber plates etc) and brakes (335i brakes all around) have stuff, but the motor is stock. I have an AFE intake on order.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

2 questions:
1. Do you have to choose for which fuel they will tune it to maximize output?
2. Aren't all these aftermarket CAI proven to have no effect whatsoever? Just asking
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 04:59 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
and also alter the throttle mapping (as the AA tune did not do this)
Gonna have to disagree with ya on this point - the AA tune DOES alter the throttle maps which results in a more linear feeling to throttle (like cable)

No one would devise a tune for BMW that didn't give priority to addressing this issue

IDK what stage AA tune you had (I have Stge3), but fairly certain every stage AA tune remaps throttle...

I'm happy with my AA tune, but would like to try the BPC tune also - I have the newest Simon Tool for AA install (actually also have the OFT from Vishnu from way back when), gonna have to call up BPC to see if I can use either tool to load their tune also - if not, I'm not gonna buy another tool specific to BPC just to compare tunes
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can flash the bpc tune with an oft. I had aa stage 2 and it didn't do anything to the throttle for me. Not certain which version was installed. I believe bpc tunes are for 91--it doesn't state it requires 93. And the afe cai is dyno proven to make power. Axiom has a couple threads on it.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Gonna have to disagree with ya on this point - the AA tune DOES alter the throttle maps which results in a more linear feeling to throttle (like cable)

No one would devise a tune for BMW that didn't give priority to addressing this issue

IDK what stage AA tune you had (I have Stge3), but fairly certain every stage AA tune remaps throttle...

I'm happy with my AA tune, but would like to try the BPC tune also - I have the newest Simon Tool for AA install (actually also have the OFT from Vishnu from way back when), gonna have to call up BPC to see if I can use either tool to load their tune also - if not, I'm not gonna buy another tool specific to BPC just to compare tunes
AA absolutely does not alter any "throttle mapping". Actually, nobody really does - but that's because "throttle mapping" on an N52 is not done directly.

I think your OFT should work for the BPC tune.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
OK, so I used the incorrect terminology - but I think everyone knows what I'm talking about - removing the factory DBW throttle lag. Which the AA tune did, & much better/smoother than the BMS Powerbox

I know it's not simply a 'placebo' effect, because I can switch back & forth between the factory tune and the AA tune and there is a very definite difference in throttle feel. My Stg3 tune is for 93 octane.

IDK how they do it within the BMW tune, I am only familiar with actual tuning of GM LS1 engines, which that throttle feel does not apply, since they still used the tried & true direct cable linkage between the gas pedal & the throttle body

Thanx for the OFT info
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

They don't change *any* DBW settings. In fact, I don't think there's really a "DBW" lag at all - it's all torque limiters and driver's wish factors. What you are feeling as "improved lag" is really just better torque response at part throttle. In the end it feels the same, but "DBW Lag" is a myth - the response time of the DBW system is much faster than human perception.
Appreciate 3
      01-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks Hass - makes total sense as the throttle body stays open most of the time.
Did some more driving - and actually flashed back to the AA flash again too. Yes, the BPC tune really makes the AA tune feel gimp in comparison. The BPC file is significantly more responsive, and the car responds more readily to any change in throttle inputs.

Bob had sent me a revised file later on due to some things that were happening with my car. The thing drives great. Still no real WOT runs yet, but I am more than satisfied with what I am getting in my regular commute alone. The tune is that evident. The revised file removed a lot of the herky jerky stuff I was getting in the transmission at below 2k rpm.

Appreciate 1
      01-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boro92 View Post
Thanks Hass - makes total sense as the throttle body stays open most of the time.
Did some more driving - and actually flashed back to the AA flash again too. Yes, the BPC tune really makes the AA tune feel gimp in comparison. The BPC file is significantly more responsive, and the car responds more readily to any change in throttle inputs.

Bob had sent me a revised file later on due to some things that were happening with my car. The thing drives great. Still no real WOT runs yet, but I am more than satisfied with what I am getting in my regular commute alone. The tune is that evident. The revised file removed a lot of the herky jerky stuff I was getting in the transmission at below 2k rpm.
Does bpc have their own OFT? PM me if you can lmk how much you've spent for the tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #15
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

the OFT is just a flashing tool. It doesn't make tunes. Anyone can just send you a modified binary and you can flash it (BPC for instance).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for your review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
JohnG7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 + F30

Hey Boro,
Great review, looks like I must also consider a BPC tune- since the difference is so great. I have been very happy with my AA tune, so would appreciate a real tune like this.

I guess is time to consider an OFT also. Can you tell me which OFT you have and is it is one you'd recommend. If so, or if not, where do I find info on OFTs. I've been asking Hass too many questions as I read up.

No laptop allows loading these tunes? I guess I'll dust-off the old checkbook.

Thanks for the review, now my interest is turning to want...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The oft allows u to flash tunes and is managed via an application on a laptop. It connects to USB to the computer and also to the car via obd port. The bpc tune includes a flashing tool at their pricing. I just didn't buy it cause I had one already. The price will be adjusted accordingly if you have your own tool capable of flashing the bpc tune. Any unit which isn't encrypted will work. And yes, the bpc tune is quite a stand out from aa.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG7 View Post
Hey Boro,
Great review, looks like I must also consider a BPC tune- since the difference is so great. I have been very happy with my AA tune, so would appreciate a real tune like this.

I guess is time to consider an OFT also. Can you tell me which OFT you have and is it is one you'd recommend. If so, or if not, where do I find info on OFTs. I've been asking Hass too many questions as I read up.

No laptop allows loading these tunes? I guess I'll dust-off the old checkbook.

Thanks for the review, now my interest is turning to want...
This is the OFT I have - all though at the time, I purchased it thru Vishnu Tuning along with their tune...

http://www.openflashtablet.com/shop/...sh-tablet-bmw/

It uses procedetuning OpenFlash Manager software
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

You don't need an oft to flash the car, you can buy BPC flash device. The only reason to buy an OFT is that it isn't tied to your specific car forever and the diagnostic / editing capabilites.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #21
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

The BPC tool can only flash an encrypted file from the BPC master. The OFT can flash any clear binary. Thats a big difference in functionality - what does the AA/BPC tool cost in comparison?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #22
JohnG7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 + F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The BPC tool can only flash an encrypted file from the BPC master. The OFT can flash any clear binary. Thats a big difference in functionality - what does the AA/BPC tool cost in comparison?
That's the question I'm weighing. I am never tied to a car, would love having compatibility. My Simon tool is married to my car, does nothing for the wife's F30.

$500 for a tool that does more and flexibility/function for the future, or $xx for another single purpose tool. Then add $xx for the tune, but is worth it.

Thanks for the tips and info guys, I gotta go sell a kidney. Nah, just swap priorities around. You guys are bad influences We just want MOAR!
Appreciate 0