BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MCS Two Way Remote Dampers Installed on M2

01-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
swebster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

MCS Two Way Remote Dampers Installed on M2

I recently had MCS Two Way dampers installed on my 2017 Mineral Gray BMW M2.

My goal was always to have the car be a dual purpose track car and daily driver. I also had a lofty goal of making the car somewhat of a Cayman GT4 killer on the track.

Wheel fitment
I wanted to set the car up with a square tire setup for rotation at the track and somewhat even wear. Fitment for track wheels is still somewhat experimental as people play with this new chassis. 18x9.5" with an ET35 offset seemed to clear the brakes and suspension with a spacer in the front. Note that anyone using spacers needs to also get the longer bolts. This is due to the fact that with a spacer there isn't enough thread to safely torque the wheels down. Tires were chosen to be Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 265/40/18R. This should give the car more front end grip as the car out of the factory tends to understeer.

Camber Plates and Rear Arms
I decided to use Ground Control camber plates. I have them on two of the race cars and they work great. There is some noise over stock but worth it for the alignment setup. In order to properly align the car in the rear you should get adjustable rear arms. This allows you to get the proper camber out of the rear as well and get the car set up.

Suspension
We used MCS 2 way remote dampers. These are pretty close to their top of the line and are often used in Pirelli World Challenge and other pro race series. The suspension may be overkill for some but the handling is night and day. We put the remote reservoirs for the front on the radiator mount and in the trunk on the rear. On the street it soaks up bumps much better and is much more compliant than stock. The car now feels like it truly is riding on a magic carpet. On the track the car is an animal. With advanced suspension like this once you get it dialed the suspension does a lot more work than the tire. This enables higher cornering speeds.

If you are thinking about getting KW's I would think about taking the plunge to MCS. It's worth every penny if you plan on driving the car close to the limit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

much more compliant than stock? really?
      01-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
swebster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Yes much more compliant. MCS dampers with remote reservoirs or any damper JRZ, AST, Moton etc has nitrogen charge. The larger amount of fluid allows for a much greater ability for the damper to be able to soak up big hits. Plus adjustability for compression and rebound helps you tune the suspension for a specific vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
GCSystems
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster View Post
Yes much more compliant. MCS dampers with remote reservoirs or any damper JRZ, AST, Moton etc has nitrogen charge. The larger amount of fluid allows for a much greater ability for the damper to be able to soak up big hits. Plus adjustability for compression and rebound helps you tune the suspension for a specific vehicle.
Looks awesome! Who did the install? TC?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #5
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've got the MCS singles on my E36 M3 race car. Would recommend them on any track oriented car.

On a street car its definitely overkill but I will confirm the added compliance. The shocks do a much better job of absorbing road imperfections and offer a wide range of adjustability.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

interesting. thanks.
      08-21-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
crispy tofu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
What spring rates did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM55 View Post
Quote:
What spring rates did you go with?
Anyone running the singles on the M2 that's used as a daily driver?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:23 AM   #9
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
I've got the MCS singles on my E36 M3 race car. Would recommend them on any track oriented car.

On a street car its definitely overkill but I will confirm the added compliance. The shocks do a much better job of absorbing road imperfections and offer a wide range of adjustability.
Really; single MCS 1-ways are overkill on the street? I will respectfully argue that is a matter of personal opinion and very subjective and I strongly disagree.

After installing my coilovers I will never again daily on anything less than triple adjustable dampers on the street. It's just purely personal preference on what you feel is your lowest tolerance level from what you are used to.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 MG MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Yep. Love 'em.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #11
1sickm2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 MW 6MT

Have 1 ways on my car and love them
2018 M2 6MT (sold0
2017 F80 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Yep. Love 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009nj335i View Post
Have 1 ways on my car and love them

Can you guys post pics and reviews. What type of camber plates are you running and is it necessary?

Most of the posts here are for the Ohlins, KW & M performance but I'm sure there are others like me who would like to hear about the higher quality dampers and how they are holding up for daily use and track. One person posted about the Litchfield ASTs which was great to read.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep

H&R springs. Vorschlag camber plates. I don't know if they're strictly needed for the MCS, but I also run additional camber for track use.

More compliant than stock, and the rear tracks straight and tight over rough road. That wasn't my experience stock, by a long shot.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
swifty314.00
      09-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #14
SDigo_M2
Rep

So! I have an M2 that I purchased back in 2018 and I just had my first HPDE at Road Atlanta. Since I grew up around motorsports and go carts, I knew something about the basics of driving fast. All in all, I was blown away by the stock M2 performance at the track. I did go with Castrol SRT brake fluid, as well as Ferodo's DS1.11 for pads. The end result was 0 fade no matter what I did, including arriving at turn 10a over 140 mph.

For my next event, I will have all the rest of the safety gear, as well as recording gear to start acquiring some metrics to work with.

All that being said, I do have some questions! First, do you use a 4 point harness? I just called Schroth and they said that nobody has a certified 4 point harness for the F87 just yet... They should have one in the next 6 months.

Additionally, I would really like to know: how has the F87 held up in the last couple of years!? How many track days are you logging per year? Any major issues? Have you upgraded the brakes at all? My preferred set up for suspension at this time is exactly what you installed. Did you do the install? How much was the final bill? I would really appreciate any and all feedback!!

I will probably start a thread myself as I work on this dual purpose project car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
SDigo_M2
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF87 View Post
H&R springs. Vorschlag camber plates. I don't know if they're strictly needed for the MCS, but I also run additional camber for track use.

More compliant than stock, and the rear tracks straight and tight over rough road. That wasn't my experience stock, by a long shot.
You happen to be right around the corner from me, did you do the install yourself!? If not, which shop did you use!? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #16
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

I have MSC 1 Way adjustable 700lb spring front and 1000lb rear and yes, they are more compliant and less harsh than stock. Agree 100% these things are on on another level versus KW. The same guy who did JRZ and Moton founded MCS. These are among the best suspensions on earth. Best mod I have made to the M2. Daily driver and CG camber plates -2.5 front camber 0.08 total front toe and -2.0 rear camber .30 total rear toe. Handling is nutty. It’s a go kart. I am on stock tire sizes. Can’t even imagine what it will be like when I go 265F/285R Cup2
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #17
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

I will also add MCS customer service should be adopted by the rest of the industry. It is on point.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #18
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Wow, that is quite the setup. Those are the coil-over rear ?
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #19
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Wow, that is quite the setup. Those are the coil-over rear ?
I do not have coilover rear just front. Rear dampers are inverted.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
much more compliant than stock? really?
The #1 surprise after first driving a really high end damper on a rough road is “how the HELL is this so compliant??”

I made the ‘mistake’ of driving on Ohlins TTX in an F80 M3 and I’ve always been jealous of how that felt. There’s no way I could spend that kind of money on suspension for my car at this point in my life but holy shit, it was surreal having so much comfort and compliance and such insane levels of cornering grip at the same time. These MCS are certainly in that ultra-high performance category.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #21
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
I recently had MCS Two Way dampers installed on my 2017 Mineral Gray BMW M2.

My goal was always to have the car be a dual purpose track car and daily driver. I also had a lofty goal of making the car somewhat of a Cayman GT4 killer on the track.

Wheel fitment
I wanted to set the car up with a square tire setup for rotation at the track and somewhat even wear. Fitment for track wheels is still somewhat experimental as people play with this new chassis. 18x9.5" with an ET35 offset seemed to clear the brakes and suspension with a spacer in the front. Note that anyone using spacers needs to also get the longer bolts. This is due to the fact that with a spacer there isn't enough thread to safely torque the wheels down. Tires were chosen to be Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R 265/40/18R. This should give the car more front end grip as the car out of the factory tends to understeer.

Camber Plates and Rear Arms
I decided to use Ground Control camber plates. I have them on two of the race cars and they work great. There is some noise over stock but worth it for the alignment setup. In order to properly align the car in the rear you should get adjustable rear arms. This allows you to get the proper camber out of the rear as well and get the car set up.

Suspension
We used MCS 2 way remote dampers. These are pretty close to their top of the line and are often used in Pirelli World Challenge and other pro race series. The suspension may be overkill for some but the handling is night and day. We put the remote reservoirs for the front on the radiator mount and in the trunk on the rear. On the street it soaks up bumps much better and is much more compliant than stock. The car now feels like it truly is riding on a magic carpet. On the track the car is an animal. With advanced suspension like this once you get it dialed the suspension does a lot more work than the tire. This enables higher cornering speeds.

If you are thinking about getting KW's I would think about taking the plunge to MCS. It's worth every penny if you plan on driving the car close to the limit.
How's the noise level with the MCS? I had JRZ RS Pros on my M4, and they were quite noisy. Now I am DD my M2 I would like less noise. I hear very good things about MCS.
      09-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #22
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDigo_M2 View Post
You happen to be right around the corner from me, did you do the install yourself!? If not, which shop did you use!? Thanks!
Originally done by Harrison Motorsports, recent upgrades by Tom Sawyer Motorsports.
Appreciate 0