E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clean exhaust record technique???

01-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Clean exhaust record technique???

I wanna record some clean footage of the exhaust. Not planning on getting a gopro or a camera. I tried to use my phone and did some drive by shots but it picked up wind noise. I also wanna attach the mic right above the exhaust by tape. Will an external mic like these ones get the job done (adding a Windscreen Windshield to the mic)?

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia...d6a6ab458af6c3

https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Lavalier...0RN97BEPNX3X6X

https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Micropho...or+Smartphones
      01-08-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
I wanna record some clean footage of the exhaust. Not planning on getting a gopro or a camera. I tried to use my phone and did some drive by shots but it picked up wind noise. I also wanna attach the mic right above the exhaust by tape. Will an external mic like these ones get the job done (adding a Windscreen Windshield to the mic)?

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia...d6a6ab458af6c3

https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Lavalier...0RN97BEPNX3X6X

https://www.amazon.com/BOYA-Micropho...or+Smartphones

1. You will need really good wind protection, that wind cover in the kit won't be enough. You can try to put mic into the big soft winter hat or some soft winter glove with fur and tape this to your rear bumper securely. Yes it will look weird, but you have to sacrifice beauty for end result lol

2. What bothers me is that those tiny Lav mics are mainly made for conversation and I bet you will bottom out their sensitivity with loud exhaust and especially if you are going to tape mic very close to exhaust. So, you will need some good recording software app that will allow you to play with settings and sensitivity to get clear sound without distortion - and that is another challenge to find a free app that can provide good settings for recording

3. If you are planning to plug Lav Mics (luckily they have long cord) into your smartphone and record sound - I can tell you right away - do it with video, only sound is not as interesting to listen. It's a total package with video driving that is much more interesting and of coruse it's better to be done during daylight so we can see scenery lol. However, attaching your smartphone to windscreen (or rear window if you want to record back-view while driving - also very cool) will be another big headache - you need to have sturdy mount without those fancy extendable telescopic holders - they shake a lot and smartphones unfortunately have very poor image stabilization during video. You need to have a short lever arm mount that will be very sturdy - it will greatly help with video quality. Just saying

I am actually planning to do some similar drive by video to show PE exhaust sound, but I will probably use GoPro and windscreen case since it was designed for such things and has built-in video stabilizer and suction mount. Tho sound quality (which is a priority in this case) is probably not the best with GoPro - probably on the same level as smartphone mics. So I'm still thinking what's the best way to do it

Last edited by n55jb4; 01-09-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55jb4 View Post
1. You will need really good wind protection, that wind cover in the kit won't be enough. You can try to put mic into the big soft winter hat or some soft winter glove with fur and tape this to your rear bumper securely. Yes it will look weird, but you have to sacrifice beauty for end result lol

2. What bothers me is that those tiny Lav mics are mainly made for conversation and I bet you will bottom out their sensitivity with loud exhaust and especially if you are going to tape mic very close to exhaust. So, you will need some good recording software app that will allow you to play with settings and sensitivity to get clear sound without distortion - and that is another challenge to find a free app that can provide good settings for recording

3. If you are planning to plug Lav Mics (luckily they have long cord) into your smartphone and record sound - I can tell you right away - do it with video, only sound is not as interesting to listen. It's a total package with video driving that is much more interesting and of coruse it's better to be done during daylight so we can see scenery lol. However, attaching your smartphone to windscreen (or rear window if you want to record back-view while driving - also very cool) will be another big headache - you need to have sturdy mount without those fancy extendable telescopic holders - they shake a lot and smartphones unfortunately have very poor image stabilization during video. You need to have a short lever arm mount that will be very sturdy - it will greatly help with video quality. Just saying
I will give it a try, will update soon
      01-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
n55jb4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
I will give it a try, will update soon
Interested in outcome, since I know it's not easy to do it. I once started but sound quality was very bad due to wind noise, so I'm on hold for now
Appreciate 0