E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Well, I think I just joined the water pump club!

01-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Well, I think I just joined the water pump club!

Left work a few minutes early to beat Friday night rush hour traffic in Tampa to drive 2 hours across the state, and got the dreaded amber overheat icon, followed shortly by the red icon and limp mode. Traffic was like 10mph on I-4 anyway so I was able to get across to a wide shoulder area fortunately. Called BMW Assist and a flatbed took it to Reeves BMW. I'm at 60,100 miles on a 2012 135i. I struggled whether or not to buy the BMW extended warranty, but did so about 18 months ago just for this very failure after reading about all the WP faults on this forum. So I'm sorta relieved to get some money back on it. Between this, a blown charge pipe, and a cracked coolant reservoir, I figure it paid for itself by now.

I got a 2017 330i loaner with 400 miles on it. Nice car but the motor sucks...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Boosted2000Si
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Yeah Im part of thay club as of 2 weeks ago as well. Im just going to let the car sit in the garage until I feel like messing with it.

I have an aftermarket warranty but I think my deducable is the same price of the water pump so basically worthless and I could knock out the repair myself in an hour or 2.

Keep me posted on how much your total bill was though.

2011 335 54k miles
      01-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
orteeze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB F80

Not trying to be a downer but keep an eye out on other components of the cooling system.

My sequence of failures was waterpump>reservoir>radiator>cross over pipe> broke upper radiator hose nipple changing the cross over pipe
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
Left work a few minutes early to beat Friday night rush hour traffic in Tampa to drive 2 hours across the state, and got the dreaded amber overheat icon, followed shortly by the red icon and limp mode. Traffic was like 10mph on I-4 anyway so I was able to get across to a wide shoulder area fortunately. Called BMW Assist and a flatbed took it to Reeves BMW. I'm at 60,100 miles on a 2012 135i. I struggled whether or not to buy the BMW extended warranty, but did so about 18 months ago just for this very failure after reading about all the WP faults on this forum. So I'm sorta relieved to get some money back on it. Between this, a blown charge pipe, and a cracked coolant reservoir, I figure it paid for itself by now.

Welcome to the club, will eventually happen to all E chassis owners

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Stage5Lurker
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: White Buffalo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post

Welcome to the club, will eventually happen to all E chassis owners
T'is the season. I too. No warranty here. Dreading that upper bolt on the w.p. I feel like I should just break down in a fit of tears now and get it over with. The upside? More frustration and anxiety of installing the downpipe I've had laying around for a year....
Appreciate 0