M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

01-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Power steering failure

The power steering just died on my 2013 M5. Has anyone else had this issue? It's currently at the service center.

Low mileage (23k miles), no aggressive driving. Surprised it would fail.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #2
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
The power steering just died on my 2013 M5. Has anyone else had this issue? It's currently at the service center.

Low mileage (23k miles), no aggressive driving. Surprised it would fail.
Turns out there was a bad deal in the trunk area allowing water to get in where the servitronic control unit was. They dried off the unit, no corrosion found, and replaced the seal. That fixed things.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I would request they replace the control unit - steering is safety critical and water will most probably make the circuit board corrode.

If not under warranty, I would cough up the dollar and get it done, if it fails the steering goes that heavy if almost feels locked up until you are used to the extra effort, this could cause you to loose control momentarily.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:01 AM   #4
celicatoe46m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 & E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Turns out there was a bad deal in the trunk area allowing water to get in where the servitronic control unit was. They dried off the unit, no corrosion found, and replaced the seal. That fixed things.
What seal was replaced? The rubber trunk seal? Or a plug in the drain area?

I ask because I noticed that one of my little plugs was leaking down into the right side under the black plastic tray one day. Luckily I found some time to open it up, to discover that there was a small pool of water...

After by using water bottles to see where the leak was, I ended up sealing the offending plug.
Appreciate 0