E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tuning order of operations question

01-03-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

Tuning order of operations question

Ken has been doing a good job tuning my car. My question is for you guys who understand the car's "order of operations".
Is the ECU programmed to change throttle position (actual) by raising/"spiking" or lowering/"closure" as a "first choice" mechanism of control for being under or over boost/load target in all cases? Shouldn't it be easily controlled by wg/boost first, particularly at low load req?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

First line for boost control is wgdc. Pid control theory is used to deliver the reqd duty cycle. P is proportional, i integral and d derivative. There are tables for all these. Throttle control typically for overboost. Stock value of 0.985 is quite overbearing to close throttle at the slightest overboost. But cant reduce it too much either. Some tc is fine and leave wgdc to take over boost control.
      01-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
First line for boost control is wgdc. Pid control theory is used to deliver the reqd duty cycle. P is proportional, i integral and d derivative. There are tables for all these. Throttle control typically for overboost. Stock value of 0.985 is quite overbearing to close throttle at the slightest overboost. But cant reduce it too much either. Some tc is fine and leave wgdc to take over boost control.
Thanks. Sounds like those two tools: 1.wg 2.throttle. That's it? Follow up to that: During light-to-mid-pedal daily driving, if PID tables are good, wgdc should have no problem keeping up if under-boost, throttle change should not be required and tps should proportionately reflect pedal pos, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManTrackSedan View Post
Thanks. Sounds like those two tools: 1.wg 2.throttle. That's it? Follow up to that: During light-to-mid-pedal daily driving, if PID tables are good, wgdc should have no problem keeping up if under-boost, throttle change should not be required and tps should proportionately reflect pedal pos, right?
Throttle position roughly follows pedal position until you get past atmospheric pressure, where the throttle is generally wide open and boost target changes depending on how much pedal is applied. Another way of putting it is throttle controls load until around 2/3 pedal input (depending on pedal mapping) and boost control takes over the load control from there (with throttle wide open), with the throttle only working as a safety mechanism if boost spikes considerably above target.
Appreciate 2