F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Ctek Recond mode BMW 340i
GetBMWParts

12-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
jmschnur
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Ctek recond mode with 2016 340i? I have a CTEK 4.3. The manual suggests recond mode be used once a year. I drive the car for short distances (5 -10 miles a day) most days.

Is this ok to use once a year or are the electronics too sensitive for this mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
jmschnur
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

HI

1. No, We could NOT sell millions of chargers if RECOND would harm every other car.
Recond is made for remixing flooded acid inside the battery, called stratification.
Stratification is when the acid inside the battery gets layered. As long as the acid and the water of the electrolyte in the battery are well mixed, the battery works as it should. But if the acid and water separate into layers, the battery just cannot be charged anymore regarding the parts that are layered, not by the alternator, nor by a charger.
So, acid that gets layered inside a battery causes loss of capacity.
Acid that has got layered cannot store voltage as well as a healthy battery, which has the optimal acid weight, 1.28 mmol. In batteries where the electrolyte is layered (stratified) has a high weight acid assembled on the bottom.
AGM batteries are not flooded, and does not suffer from stratification, neither do GEL batteries.
That is why we cannot promise that you get a positive effect by using recond on AGM batteries so we do not recommend that.
For GEL batteries, recond is not recommended either, due to that using too high voltage can dry the gel inside the battery and weaken the battery instead of empowering it.

2. Use normal mode if the temperature fluctuates around +5C (+40F)
Use snowflake if you are sure that the temperature is constantly under +5C (+40F)

From CTEK
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
edsonreds
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
HI

1. No, We could NOT sell millions of chargers if RECOND would harm every other car.
Recond is made for remixing flooded acid inside the battery, called stratification.
Stratification is when the acid inside the battery gets layered. As long as the acid and the water of the electrolyte in the battery are well mixed, the battery works as it should. But if the acid and water separate into layers, the battery just cannot be charged anymore regarding the parts that are layered, not by the alternator, nor by a charger.
Acid that has got layered cannot store voltage as well as a healthy battery, which has the optimal acid weight, 1.28 mmol. In batteries where the electrolyte is layered (stratified) has a high weight acid assembled on the bottom.
AGM batteries are not flooded, and does not suffer from stratification, neither do GEL batteries.
That is why we cannot promise that you get a positive effect by using recond on AGM batteries so we do not recommend that.
For GEL batteries, recond is not recommended either, due to that using too high voltage can dry the gel inside the battery and weaken the battery instead of empowering it.

Use snowflake if you are sure that the temperature is constantly under +5C (+40F)

From CTEK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
HI

From CTEK
Hi. I saw this old thread and wanted some advice. I have a 2011 E92 M3 and the battery was replaced by the dealership about 2yrs ago. In the last months the battery started to NOT hold above 12.2 volts. I purschased the CTEK 40206 MXS 5.0 which has a recond AGM mode. I have been using this mode for 1 week and the battery doesnt go above 12.2. When I start the car and the alternator kicks in, voltage surges to 14.3v. After turning of the car, the battery voltage drops to 12.8 and continues to drop in 4 to 8 hours up until reaching 12.2v.
Appreciate 0