F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Best offset/width for wheels
Extreme Powerhouse

12-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #1
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

Best offset/width for wheels

Hello everyone I'm looking for some help, I have no knowledge when it comes to anything that has to do with tracking or auto crossing. I've been researching what some people are running for their track setups, and I would like to try and get my car there. I currently have KW v2 coils, 19" VMR v710's with a 8.5 and 9.5 width, and almost full bolts ons (getting chargepipe/FMIC soon). Now I've been looking around and am planning to get the ground control front camber plates after the fmic, and then after that I would like to for some new wheels(then save up a long time for a BBK). I know that square setup is the best way to go, but I would still like somewhat of a wide/aggressive appearance with wheels. This is where I need help, would 18x9.5 et22(volk te37sl) square setup work or would I need 18x9 and a higher offset? I would like to be able to daily my wheels. Shoot any opinions you have on what to do and what not to do
      12-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E
Hello everyone I'm looking for some help, I have no knowledge when it comes to anything that has to do with tracking or auto crossing. I've been researching what some people are running for their track setups, and I would like to try and get my car there. I currently have KW v2 coils, 19" VMR v710's with a 8.5 and 9.5 width, and almost full bolts ons (getting chargepipe/FMIC soon). Now I've been looking around and am planning to get the ground control front camber plates after the fmic, and then after that I would like to for some new wheels(then save up a long time for a BBK). I know that square setup is the best way to go, but I would still like somewhat of a wide/aggressive appearance with wheels. This is where I need help, would 18x9.5 et22(volk te37sl) square setup work or would I need 18x9 and a higher offset? I would like to be able to daily my wheels. Shoot any opinions you have on what to do and what not to do
I would say you are in pretty good shape with what you've already got. I'd invest in lessons and track time over really going balls out to build a track machine.
The volks offset at that wheel width is too low as well, they probably won't fit correctly or if they do, will poke a lot and look pretty bad.
I say run what ya brung and work on your skills, then when you begin to actually experience the limits of your setup, you can start upgrading the weak points.

EDIT: do you have m-sport or m-performance brakes? If not that would be the very first thing I would upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
There are a few F30 guys who have successfully fit 9.5" wheels up front, but it's a pretty aggressive fit and you'll need about 3° of negative camber to make it work. (So you'd need to bump the camber plates up on your to do list!) With enough camber, an offset in the 35 to 37 range *should*; if 37 ends up too close to the strut, you could use a 3mm spacer. No matter how you do it, you'll be very close to the strut and fender.
I plan on going with 9.5" wheels with 265/35-18 tires for the upcoming track season...But this will be my track-only setup; 9" wheels with 255/40-18 tires are my daily.

Last edited by DVC; 01-06-2017 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0