E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede Tune vs. JB4, Cobb, ETC.

12-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
N54wayne
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Procede Tune vs. JB4, Cobb, ETC.

I've been reading that a lot of people are saying the Procede tune is obsolete and isn't very good. I was just wondering why, and what do other tunes (JB4, Cobb, etc) do that the Procede doesn't. Why are they better?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

Don't forget the MHD tune also. I can only speak to the JB4 and MHD tunes. We have two cars running the JB4 G5 and one running the MHD.

The JB4 is nice because you can change the maps easily through the steering wheel controls on the fly. It also has a lot of other great features such as gauge sweep, logging, code delete and reading, laptop hook up with a cable, etc,... It is also very well supported and updated by Terry at BMS. Drawbacks, I guess would be the initial cost and installation, although in reality these are pretty minor for what you get.

The MHD is not as versatile in that you have to download different maps at a cost depending on what changes you make to your car such as going kittyless, bigger snails, intercoolers etc,.. The program is also car specific. Other disadvantages are reporting and can't change maps as easily although with the Torque app you can log and see what your engine is doing. Advantages on the MHD are the initial cost, ease of installation (you update from your phone).

If your not planning to mod your car all the time I'd probably go with the MHD. Regarding the Cobb and Proceed those platforms have seemed to go by the wayside so personally I wouldn't consider either. I've hear d too the Cobb is no longer supported.

In the end all will give your car quite a "boost" and beat the stock tune by a mile. I would recommend researching each tuner option and making your decision on what best suites your needs.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
N54wayne
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boland01 View Post
Don't forget the MHD tune also. I can only speak to the JB4 and MHD tunes. We have two cars running the JB4 G5 and one running the MHD.

The JB4 is nice because you can change the maps easily through the steering wheel controls on the fly. It also has a lot of other great features such as gauge sweep, logging, code delete and reading, laptop hook up with a cable, etc,... It is also very well supported and updated by Terry at BMS. Drawbacks, I guess would be the initial cost and installation, although in reality these are pretty minor for what you get.

The MHD is not as versatile in that you have to download different maps at a cost depending on what changes you make to your car such as going kittyless, bigger snails, intercoolers etc,.. The program is also car specific. Other disadvantages are reporting and can't change maps as easily although with the Torque app you can log and see what your engine is doing. Advantages on the MHD are the initial cost, ease of installation (you update from your phone).

If your not planning to mod your car all the time I'd probably go with the MHD. Regarding the Cobb and Proceed those platforms have seemed to go by the wayside so personally I wouldn't consider either. I've hear d too the Cobb is no longer supported.

In the end all will give your car quite a "boost" and beat the stock tune by a mile. I would recommend researching each tuner option and making your decision on what best suites your needs.
Awesome info thank you. I have a 335 already and I was planning on doing bolt-ons, but I'm also considering buying another with a Procede tune and lots of mods as well. The power on it is plenty for me so I was wondering if there's anything bad about that tune or better about the others that would make me consider switching. I have read that the procede can change maps on the go and can display info on the dash as well as the others, however I'm not an expert in either. Basically wondering if the new tunes do anything thats of use besides more power because I wouldn't need it, I understand that it's not updated anymore like the JB4 but if they only update them to make more power, I'd be content with the procede.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
I know it gets a lot of hate, but even if I were starting from the beginning, I would still choose Cobb. It may just be my bias but I f...ing love me V3 Accessport,& haven't had any problems since installation. AlthoUgh I do preventative maintenance religiously... Other tunes are still fine, Procede, JB4,MHD. But for my goals, Cobb V3 wth full bolt ons was 👍👏 perfect .
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54wayne View Post
I've been reading that a lot of people are saying the Procede tune is obsolete and isn't very good. I was just wondering why, and what do other tunes (JB4, Cobb, etc) do that the Procede doesn't. Why are they better?

Thanks!
The Procede is a haltech piggyback. It's actually a superior hardware platform in the piggyback world.

The problem is the company who provided the Procede no longer updates the software as the platform grows.

This is not to say you can't install a procede and run it, you certainly can.

However, if you are going to push past the limitations set within, that's where you will really find issues. The PROcede can currently run a typical FBO car on pump gas or methanol injection. Anything beyond that would be a limitation. They did some development with upgraded turbo's but I'm fairly certain they won't work well out of the box.

Other tunes like the JB4 and MHD are now geared towards the new modifications of the platform, like E85, upgraded turbo's, back end flashes, ETC.

At this point, if you have a procede handy and just want to dip your feet in, it's a good starting point for a free tune.

However, you'll soon find limitations and there will be minimal help in the community as procede users are few and far between these days.

You can't buy a procede new anyway, so the only ones left are used. If you are seeking a new tune you may want to consider a Cobb JB4 or MHD instead since there is still not only a following, but current updates from the tuners.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-19-2016 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome info thank you. I have a 335 already and I was planning on doing bolt-ons, but I'm also considering buying another with a Procede tune and lots of mods as well. The power on it is plenty for me so I was wondering if there's anything bad about that tune or better about the others that would make me consider switching. I have read that the procede can change maps on the go and can display info on the dash as well as the others, however I'm not an expert in either. Basically wondering if the new tunes do anything thats of use besides more power because I wouldn't need it, I understand that it's not updated anymore like the JB4 but if they only update them to make more power, I'd be content with the procede.
As already stated, there is nothing "wrong" with the procede. It's just old and outdated. You'd be better off to buy that car, pull the procede off, and flash it with MHD or get a JB4.
      12-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Thanks!
JB4 gets new updates on monthly basis, Vishnu Tuning( the company that produced Procede) has stopped support years ago. Nothing wrong with the tune, it is simply outdated

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
The PROcede can currently run a typical FBO car on pump gas or methanol injection. Anything beyond that would be a limitation. They did some development with upgraded turbo's but I'm fairly certain they won't work well out of the box.
Good post Jeff. They did make a good upgraded turbo map for RB Turbos, and a good fuel flash to go with it. They both work well out of the box. Shiv built the fuel flash specifically as a custom one-off for my April 2007 build software. Never any issues with running it conservatively (18-19 psi max). The meth integration, built in 02 modifier, etc. all work great. You are right, there are not many of us left, but the tune works well, and have not seen a need to change it, plus life got too busy to keep moving on to the next cool thing in tuning when the car ran great. Squeezing out more power wasn't a goal for a conservative weekend cruise now and then.

> -----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:57 AM
To: Scottp999
Subject: Re: Need ROM support for I761S

Here you go Scott. This should work for you. Basic fuel flash for
Procede use. Speed delimiter is disabled. Sorry it took so long...

shiv

> Just speed limiter off. Thanks.
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: openflashsupport@vishnutuning.com
> Date: 08/27/2013 8:02 PM (GMT-05:00)
> To: Scottp999
> Subject: Re: Need ROM support for I761S
>
> No problem Scott. I can probably have a fuel flash rom for you
> tonight. What other options would you like? Cat code disabled?

>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: openflashsupport@vishnutuning.com
>> Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 8:17 PM
>> To: Scottp999
>> Subject: Re: Need ROM support for I761S
>>
>> Hi Scott,
>> Still working on the xdf. The data in the rom is VERY different from
>> other rom version which is making it very time consuming to locate all
>> the tables. I'm about half way done right now. Chances are that i'll
>> be just giving you tuned roms to test at first since going through an
>> creating an XDF will take a lot more time.
>>

>
>> Sounds good. The fuel flash rom is the priority to use with Procede
>> rev3, RB turbos, 93octane, and meth injection. Appreciate you
>> continuing to put time in on these to get the xdf's out eventually.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 3:59 PM
To: openflashsupport@vishnutuning.com
Subject: Need ROM support for I761S

Shiv,

Here is my original ROM file attached.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by scottp999; 12-21-2016 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 1