F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d Issues
GetBMWParts

12-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
328d Issues

Hey guys,

I'm a long time forum member and BMW Owner/fanatic that happens to have a daily driver VW JSW TDi that I'm turning in next month and will replace with a 328d X drive wagon, hopefully CPO'd.

I wanted to know if there's any issues to look out for. I owned an N54 335 a few years back and don't really want to deal with fueling issues.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to be driving a 328d soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycane View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a long time forum member and BMW Owner/fanatic that happens to have a daily driver VW JSW TDi that I'm turning in next month and will replace with a 328d X drive wagon, hopefully CPO'd.

I wanted to know if there's any issues to look out for. I owned an N54 335 a few years back and don't really want to deal with fueling issues.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to be driving a 328d soon!
Go to the diesel subforum (N47, N57) and read all about it. There are also a few threads here. The e90post diesel subforum is also useful regarding previous cars/engines.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Go to the diesel subforum (N47, N57) and read all about it. There are also a few threads here. The e90post diesel subforum is also useful regarding previous cars/engines.
Going on 3 years and 61k on mine without any problems aside from the NOx sensor at purchase. Didn't know about the break in procedure when I bought it, so it's been driven like a BMW since the day I bought it, although it pretty much stays in ecopro though.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

We have the xdrive version at 61k. Wife's daily driver so it has seen an easy life. Leaking seal on the rear diff (37k) and front diff (49k). Transfer Case/Power Divider went at 49k also. Symptoms weren't noticeable unless you floored it, then it had a horrible drivetrain knock about every second. Brakes (frt & rear) went 49k also.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
We have the xdrive version at 61k. Wife's daily driver so it has seen an easy life. Leaking seal on the rear diff (37k) and front diff (49k). Transfer Case/Power Divider went at 49k also. Symptoms weren't noticeable unless you floored it, then it had a horrible drivetrain knock about every second. Brakes (frt & rear) went 49k also.
How did you find about the leaking diff, oil spill in the driveway or was it a very small leak?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
How did you find about the leaking diff, oil spill in the driveway or was it a very small leak?
Found the rear diff leak when I was changing diff fluid. It was weeping but not enough for a drip. The dealer found the front diff leak while looking at other warranty items. It was also a weep without drips.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Hello fellow TDI owner!

I'm in the same about, about to take delivery of a new F31 diesel. I've been looking at issues too and this is what I can find:
  • N47 timing chain issues (fixed?)
  • HPFP issues, since it uses the same Bosch CP4 pump as the TDI

Old habits die hard. I already bought a bottle of DieselKleen and a cool lab-grade refill jar. There's a couple Propel stations nearby, may try to use that instead for lubricity.
      12-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Hello fellow TDI owner!

I'm in the same about, about to take delivery of a new F31 diesel. I've been looking at issues too and this is what I can find:
  • N47 timing chain issues (fixed?)
  • HPFP issues, since it uses the same Bosch CP4 pump as the TDI

Old habits die hard. I already bought a bottle of DieselKleen and a cool lab-grade refill jar. There's a couple Propel stations nearby, may try to use that instead for lubricity.
From my understanding, the US spec N47 had the upgraded timing chain, so that problem should have been eliminated when it was brought here. The HPFP on the other hand, I don't think I've personally read about that problem here yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
From my understanding, the US spec N47 had the upgraded timing chain, so that problem should have been eliminated when it was brought here. The HPFP on the other hand, I don't think I've personally read about that problem here yet.
Many of the failures on the VW TDI were (allegedly) caused by miss-fueling with gasoline. Our BMWs have miss-fueling interlocks; I've only read about 2-3 miss-fuels.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:08 AM   #10
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Many of the failures on the VW TDI were (allegedly) caused by miss-fueling with gasoline. Our BMWs have miss-fueling interlocks; I've only read about 2-3 miss-fuels.
They must have been using the adapter then, I've tried to put the gas nozzle in it and could not get it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
The HPFP on the other hand, I don't think I've personally read about that problem here yet.
I do hope BMW sourced another pump vendor or Bosch finally fixed the design. That CP4 pump has been giving other diesel makes grief.
      12-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
js 84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320d

I have 2012 F30 320d with 100'000 miles. No problems, just regular maintenance
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Garage List
We own a 2014 328d xdrive, currently has 53k miles and change.

We had issues with the Nav/Idrive system traced back to a bad battery shortly after purchase in dec 2013

Broken rear ride height sensor caused the adaptive headlights to go into truffle hunting mode at around 5k miles.

Relatively trouble free up until shortly after the factory warranty expired...now we've had two check engine lights within 500 miles of each other. First one identified as a bad DPF sensor. They had to replace the entire converter pipe because when they went to remove the sensor it broke off in the pipe...

Our extended warranty did not cover this repair and the dealer had to goodwill it. Even though the sales guy who sold us the BMW extended warranty (with the optional extended full service coverage) when the car was purchased new said it covered all service AND repairs... "everything but tires".

Unknown what the 2nd check engine light is about...going into the dealer tomorrow morning. Would not be surprised if its something related to the first DPF sensor problem...

As far as performance: It's great other than from a dead stop it has a pretty significant hesitation if you are aggressive with the accelerator. It will barely go for about a second then once the turbo spools or whatever takes a min to spin up (torque converter) it launches. No hesitation once the car is moving. Can be a bit unnerving if you are trying to thread the needle taking a left hand turn onto a busy highway or something.

The thing also eats tires quickly, even for an AWD car...and no, i dont have an alignment problem.

Last edited by Rocklobster; 01-23-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #14
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
thanks for the feedback Rocklobster, I appreciate it.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 328d wagon....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #15
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It seems to me that the US only emissions control subsystems on the 328d are not as thoroughly tested/engineered as the rest of the car/engine. One of the reasons the government's war on diesels in the US is so frustrating. Not that the VW tactic is acceptable but having to engineer complicated emissions control systems for one market is bound to cause problems. It's kinda made me decide to steer clear of diesels. Which is a shame because i love driving them, love the torque and love the efficiency. I'd strongly consider another BMW diesel or the new upcoming mazda diesel if it wasn't for the US spec emissions systems and the wildcard reliability that comes with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #16
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
It seems to me that the US only emissions control subsystems on the 328d are not as thoroughly tested/engineered as the rest of the car/engine. One of the reasons the government's war on diesels in the US is so frustrating...
Hopefully you will update us on the current problem...

But I wanted to mention some things:
1) Even the Europeans have had DPFs for 10 years or more, so any problems with it are not the result of poorly-designed/US-only systems.
2) BMW almost certainly used the early 335d/X5d vehicles (10K units, >10K units) as a test bed for the current 328d DEF/SCR systems. Note that the DEF tanks are separate on the 328d, partly because the 335d single-unit setup is so bad (the X5d always had separate tanks), with a single fill point (rather than two.)
3) BMW has been beset by bad quality control on NOx sensors, and the high cost of said sensors. Is that BMW's fault? not fully.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Interesting insight. Thanks.

It was certainly my assumption that at least until recently it was the US emissions that drove the bus at least on the DEF subsystems. Further the 6 cyl engines i assumed were quite different and while a good test bed for theory were unlikely to have been simply copied as-is over to the 4-cyl engine. The 4cyl diesel offering was new for the 2014 model year in the US and i thought i had read a few places that prior to that,where offered over seas, did not have the DEF system. As with all emissions control systems they are a single system of associated sub systems all designed to meet tailpipe emissions laws. So, adding a DEF sub-system to an emissions system which already includes the DPF would at the very least incur some different tuning, testing, calibration, control, etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #18
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It was certainly my assumption that at least until recently it was the US emissions that drove the bus at least on the DEF subsystems. Further the 6 cyl engines i assumed were quite different and while a good test bed for theory were unlikely to have been simply copied as-is over to the 4-cyl engine. The 4cyl diesel offering was new for the 2014 model year in the US and i thought i had read a few places that prior to that,where offered over seas, did not have the DEF system. As with all emissions control systems they are a single system of associated sub systems all designed to meet tailpipe emissions laws. So, adding a DEF sub-system to an emissions system which already includes the DPF would at the very least incur some different tuning, testing, calibration, control, etc...
It seems that the DEF/SCR system is almost entirely separate from the rest of the systems; we're not even sure that the EGR system is integrated with it (both affect NOx) as EGR seems much more affected by throttle position and boost and such. It appears to be set up to minimize NOx by itself... with the DEF/SCR designed to reduce NOx below the limits.

The DEF/SCR system was an option in the EU for as many years as it's been on the USA/CA cars - but it doesn't appear that many were sold. In looking around at things, I noticed that the DPF canisters (and DOC) are different on US and EU cars: curious, but perhaps not unexpected.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #19
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have 63k on my '14 without any issue so far. I can tell you that the 10k DEF refill is inaccurate being as the last time I had it filled was at 48k. Still haven't had anything pop up telling me to refill it yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'd imagine, like fuel, it depends on how it's driven, ambient conditions, etc. Maybe it will last 10k no matter what and since that's the oil change interval the just recommend you refill when you change the oil...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #21
Rocklobster
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update. SCR metering error code. They "Calibrated" the SCR metering system and had us pick up the car. We made it 5 miles down the road and the CEL came on again. Back into the dealer for further diagnosing (round 3). Dealer has had the car for the better part of Jan. They have been good to work with but have not yet been able to repair the car 100%. I've not been under these cars but for anyone who knows the DEF/SCR system....

Could a careless mechanic potentially damage the SCR/DEF metering system while replacing both the DPF sensor and the catalytic converter pipe it threads into?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming if you have additional comments.

I ended up putting a deposit on a 2014 328d X drive wagon....should be shipped in a week. Starting to get excited about the new ride.

Last edited by bigdaddycane; 02-01-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0