BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Anyone interested in Apex EC-7 rims for their M2?

12-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Anyone interested in Apex EC-7 rims for their M2?

Was liking the looks of the Apex EC-7 Race wheels for the M2 but the sizes that are available are all 18" with the 19" out of stock, perhaps never to return. After a round at the willtheyfit.com website I figure that the 19x9 et22 and 19x9.5 et33 will work for the stock Michelin Sport Cup II tires. The 19x9.5 et33s are now unobtanium and perhaps if there were sufficient interest expressed, Apex would order another run, or perhaps make a custom set of 19s matching the factory sizes and offsets of 19x9 et27 and 19x10 et40.

If a bunch of us are interested, we may be able to seek a group buy at a better price. Maybe this year there will be rims under the tree.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb View Post
Was liking the looks of the Apex EC-7 Race wheels for the M2 but the sizes that are available are all 18" with the 19" out of stock, perhaps never to return. After a round at the willtheyfit.com website I figure that the 19x9 et22 and 19x9.5 et33 will work for the stock Michelin Sport Cup II tires. The 19x9.5 et33s are now unobtanium and perhaps if there were sufficient interest expressed, Apex would order another run, or perhaps make a custom set of 19s matching the factory sizes and offsets of 19x9 et27 and 19x10 et40.

If a bunch of us are interested, we may be able to seek a group buy at a better price. Maybe this year there will be rims under the tree.

The tire selection is usually better with 18s and of course a set of tires is quite a bit cheaper.

An 18" wheel is also lighter than a 19" wheel.

Those are three reasons why I can imagine that the 19" wheel has gone away, perhaps indeed never to return.

Is there a reason that you prefer 19" track wheels over 18"?
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      12-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Chaslieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

19s are the stock size

I am guessing the engineers at BMW had a good reason to choose the 19s and that they engineered the car to work best with the wheels they spec'd. The stock tires are already good tires for a track, so why not follow the stock guidelines when getting an aftermarket wheel? You can easily move the Michelin's to the 19" wheels but would have to buy new tires for an 18" set.

The 18's have less rotational mass but must turn more to cover the same distance than the 19s. Other than the convenience of finding 18" wheels more easily than 19s, is there a performance basis to choose the 18s over 19s?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
heckyeahbro69
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaslieb
I am guessing the engineers at BMW had a good reason to choose the 19s and that they engineered the car to work best with the wheels they spec'd. The stock tires are already good tires for a track, so why not follow the stock guidelines when getting an aftermarket wheel? You can easily move the Michelin's to the 19" wheels but would have to buy new tires for an 18" set.

The 18's have less rotational mass but must turn more to cover the same distance than the 19s. Other than the convenience of finding 18" wheels more easily than 19s, is there a performance basis to choose the 18s over 19s?
The Michelins are not a good track tire. Not sure who told you that. It's a good street tire but that's about it. I don't understand why you would want to replace the stock wheels with stock sized apex wheels. Just run the stock ones and save money for some camber plates and brake pads. Replace the tires with next size up re71s once you finish off the Michelins and be done with it. Also, the 18 inch wheels don't have to rotate more to cover the same distance. They use a larger sidewall tire to achieve roughly the same overall diameter.
      12-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Yes... Correct.. 19s are the stock size.

Quote:

" BMW had a good reason to choose the 19s and that they engineered the car to work best with the wheels they spec'd. "
I didn't want to pry on my initial post.. but I should have..
My additional question was going to be... If you are going to put 19 " track tires on the car then why not just put 19s on the stock wheels or get a second set of stock wheels. If you are that confident in the factory setup and feel it is optimal.. .. then just slap some R tires on your stock wheel or pick up a second set of stockers

HOWEVER.. did the factory design this as a STREET car or a TRACK car?
The unequivocal answer is that the vehicle is ultimately designed and setup for primarily STREET driving...

With respect to your comments above..

Quote:
" The 18's have less rotational mass "
- Correct - this is a performance advantage!
Quote:
" but must turn more to cover the same distance than the 19s. "
- Also Correct...
Is there a performance DIS-Advantage here ? I am not aware of what would be negatively affected here..

So.. indeed.. there are performance advantages with 18s

Less unsprung weight for the tire
less unsprung weight for the wheel (all things being equal)

There are also practical advantages for 18s..

you can buy a square setup and rotate - which saves money
the tire price for an 18 is less than a 19 - (all things being equal)
there are more tire options available in the 18" size than 19"
there are more wheel options available in the 18" size than 19"

So... with all the advantages FOR 18s ,.. both practical and performance wise... why go with 19s unless vanity is the issue - not that there is anything wrong with that... but if that's the case then just state so. At some point... one must make a decision between performance, value, and looks...

I checked out the wheel options you mentioned above.. the 1M has 19 x 9 front and 19 x 10 rear and I presume the M2 is the same.
Why would you order track wheels in the same sizes and widths as OEM and pay the expense of new wheels for the track unless it's for style?

If you are going to stick with 19s or stock size wheels and tires for the track...
Personally... I would just get some Bridgestone RE-71Rs in a size as big as you can go on the stock wheels and be done with it..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-06-2016 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
WaMi61.50
      12-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I'd be interested in a winter setup group buy
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

One more benefit of smaller diameter wheels - Less rotational inertia (rim closer to the hub) on the smaller diameter wheels meaning fractionally better accel, braking and ability for the tire to follow high frequency bumps (the last bit being the unsprung mass benefit too).... That said, if sized "properly" the tires will rotate the same for a given distance.. I say "properly" because on one of my race cars I undersized the diameter of the tire to get more favorable gear ratio (punch harder out of the corners sacrificing a bit of top speed) for the typical tracks I'm running.

Also, the "BMW had a good reason to choose the 19s and that they engineered the car blah, blah, blah" is a pet peeve arguement as it is full of incorrect assumptions. Big wheels are nothing more than fashion once big enough to clear the brakes (and they do look sweet!). As M3 Adjuster mentioned they designed it for the street, but also a host of other constraints mostly cost. They aren't gods and I've not met a generic design that meets all my requirements... but for every change, you introduce a new set of constraints and compromises, so if you don't know what you are doing it probably is best to not change anything and trust BMW, but I know what I want and need better than BMW does and if they were building it for me instead of the masses they would change it like I do lol. All that said, I plan to do a square 18" setup unless the traction control logic is too screwed up by doing so.
Appreciate 2
WaMi61.50
      12-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #8
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
THISSSSSSSS ^^^
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post
Quote:
THISSSSSSSS ^^^
We missed our chance but I didn't get my car until Nov. The last group buy ended in October
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
We missed our chance but I didn't get my car until Nov. The last group buy ended in October
I've been on the hunt for a winter setup. May just end up getting the staggered 640m setup and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2tek View Post
I've been on the hunt for a winter setup. May just end up getting the staggered 640m setup and call it a day.
I just can't stand how boring they look. No life to them...
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
I just can't stand how boring they look. No life to them...
I agree. But I figure it is only going to be on three to four months max. The other option is just to get winter tires for the stock rim. Its not a bad option if you have no intention of driving in snow often of which I don't. I work from home mostly, and am getting the tires mainly for cold weather rather than driving in actual snow.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
slowbrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2003 M3

Im in for a 18x10 square setup group buy for sure. Not digging these 19s at all from the factory.
Appreciate 0