BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > How noticeable is partial Hood/fender Xpel wrap?

11-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Dmarcen
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

How noticeable is partial Hood/fender Xpel wrap?

I'm taking delivery next Wednesday in Greenville, and talking w/ Extreme Colors to install. They have City Package and Highway package which has a $500 difference but if I'm correct only difference is the addition of door edges w/ the highway package. Both options are partial hood/fenders and full bumper. But I'm curious how noticeable is the line across the hood and fenders since it is only partially installed? I've seen one pic on a Porsche that look quite noticeable, but others I can't tell at all. I'm just not sure I can justify the increment up from $899 to $2K to do full just based on this "partial" factor.

any pics or experience would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #2
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarcen View Post
I'm taking delivery next Wednesday in Greenville, and talking w/ Extreme Colors to install. They have City Package and Highway package which has a $500 difference but if I'm correct only difference is the addition of door edges w/ the highway package. Both options are partial hood/fenders and full bumper. But I'm curious how noticeable is the line across the hood and fenders since it is only partially installed? I've seen one pic on a Porsche that look quite noticeable, but others I can't tell at all. I'm just not sure I can justify the increment up from $899 to $2K to do full just based on this "partial" factor.

For Suntek it is not noticeable unless you are looking closely. XPEL is a little bit thicker so it may be more noticeable. I'm fine with it though. Some of these prices (2-3k) for these installs far exceeded my personal threshold for what I was willing to pay. I'm OK with a little visibility as long as it provides the coverage. I did full bumper/hood but partial fender and its fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Great topic. I think some pics from owners who did Xpel Ultimate on their cars would be very helpful here.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Partial roof Xpel - not really possible to tell from over 2ft away, regardless of lighting conditions.
Photo below taken at ~18in distance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

im cheap so i did the Xpel bikini hood (partial hood). Saved my self hundreds of dollars
Its noticeable allright. But I dont care, im protected. You have to be really close to notice. Maybe a few feet away. heres a pic. The invisible line is right in the middle of the pic. U can barely tell from the pic though, but its there.
Attached Images

11-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

I went with Suntek, full on the front, and any lines are difficult to see unless you get close to the car and are specifically looking for them. As others have said, Xpel is a bit thicker, and therefore perhaps slightly more noticeable. I might be more concerned about the rocker panels and rear fender flares than the aft areas of the hood and front fenders.

Here's a photo illustrating the rear area coverage on my car:
Attached Images

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 1
M2Cnme33.00
      11-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
im cheap so i did the Xpel bikini hood (partial hood). Saved my self hundreds of dollars
Its noticeable allright. But I dont care, im protected. You have to be really close to notice. Maybe a few feet away. heres a pic. The invisible line is right in the middle of the pic. U can barely tell from the pic though, but its there.
Good Lord, man. How do you live with yourself? That looks horrible!

Joking. Only joking. That doesn't look all that bad. I was shying away from the partial coverage because of the line but your photos look totally acceptable. Thanks for posting.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Not trying to jack the thread here, but for you guys who are doing Xpel right after taking delivery, is that OK to do? I thought the paint needed to cure for a couple months before doing the clear bra. if you are East Coast and doing the coverage as soon as you take delivery, that paint might be only 6 to 7 weeks old. is that still OK?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Keep in mind what the car will look like in 3-5 years when the PPF has aged and taken a lot of abuse. That demarcation line may be even more noticeable. Yellowing probably won't be a problem but difference in wearability might. I'm a detail fanatic so I don't think I could live with the line because I would know it's there and see it immediately.

On my car, it's full hood or no hood. Front bumper-only is another option I've considered but my car will be a DD, so full front clip seems worth the extra up-front cost - but it's a very bitter pill to swallow @ $2k.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #10
Dmarcen
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

Thanks for the feedback so far. The pics posted really don't show much of a line and to have the protection on the interstate I will be driving daily I think protection is necessary. But that $1200 difference to go full full hood and fenders could be used to get a ceramic coating instead... think that's where my head is at currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #11
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:

go for the full front its just the better option. here is the bsm we did

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1253766
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      11-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
asmith918
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '17 LBB M2

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback so far. The pics posted really don't show much of a line and to have the protection on the interstate I will be driving daily I think protection is necessary. But that $1200 difference to go full full hood and fenders could be used to get a ceramic coating instead... think that's where my head is at currently.
I'm dropping my car off tomorrow and am currently leaning this direction as I've been quoted a few hundred dollars cheaper to do xpel partial (bumper) and opticoat pro for the entire car. If your in the Houston are I highly recommend giving John a call at Gulf Coast Auto Shield. He is going to show me some of the other cars with different options (partial/full and coatings) if he as them available before I make the final decision.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #13
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Quote:
you can always do the coating later, do the full front and even consider the rockers trust me on this one.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 11:06 PM   #14
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I always do full front. I have full front, headlights, mirrors including the black base, A pillars with partial roof, full rockers, and behind the rear tires. Much of my edges are wrapped to limit the edges since they are a bitch to keep clean on a white car. Llumar self healing film. $1900.
      11-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #15
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
It really depends on the color of your car. White will be the worse one and the film will be more noticeable. Darker colors (every other option in the M2) will hide the film edges better.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:54 AM   #16
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Full car wrap or nothing.
      11-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #17
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

We'd highly recommend doing the full front end, aside from seeing the partial line gather dust/dirt/debris, it just doesnt give you ultimate protection against rock chips. To offset the cost, some of our customer elect to do, full hood, partial fenders, headlights, bumper, mirrors.

On an M2, we highly recommend at least a full hood, bumper, and rocker panels at a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Not trying to jack the thread here, but for you guys who are doing Xpel right after taking delivery, is that OK to do? I thought the paint needed to cure for a couple months before doing the clear bra. if you are East Coast and doing the coverage as soon as you take delivery, that paint might be only 6 to 7 weeks old. is that still OK?
They are ready to go from the dealership. The paint is baked and cured by the time it leaves. The only issue is, if a used vehicle has been repainted since quality control may vary from bodyshop to bodyshop.

Last edited by XPEL; 11-29-2016 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: forgot to respond to other message
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #18
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Unless you stop right in front of the car you wont notice it.

Pics in order show:

Door edge, Hood and fender, Hood
Attached Images

12-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #19
WFS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

its about as noticable as the factory sticker on the 3/4 panel infront of the rear tyres.

Personal preference, and depending how OCD you are. Id say go which what you are comfortable paying, as there is always 100's of ways to waste (i mean spend) more money. I went for the full front XPEL to the windscreen (bonnet, wings, bumper, lights, mirrors).
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #20
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Factory sticker edges are definitely more noticeable than Xpel edges, even when clean.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #21
oj34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I decided to go with Bruxsafol STX 160 RC full front (fenders, full hood, bumper, mirrors).
Will get the car next Saturday
Lets see how the result will be.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #22
CSN
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Factory sticker edges are definitely more noticeable than Xpel edges, even when clean.
Agreed. I just got mine done Thursday. You can see it up close but standing back you can not see it. Worth it. I wish I would have done something with the headlights. Day one I had a rock ship on headlight. Minor but still there. all of he sand from winter is terrible.
Appreciate 0