BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter setup dilemna

11-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma with my winter set up and am looking for suggestions.

I purchased the rim and tire package without knowing I could negotiate. It's $3400 for 5 years and only covers stock rims and tires (MSP's)
In my garage I have 3 winter vredstein tires but for 19" rims from my previous M3. I would need to purchase 1 more to complete the set but they fit the stock M2 rims.

Do I...

A: Keep my tire and rim insurance ( daily drive into nyc) and slap the winter tires on the 19's? I spent $3400 on the insurance and would need to buy one more vredstein tire for $280.

B: Get a refund for the insurance, sell my 19" winter tires and buy a set of 18" tire and rims from tire rack. In the end I'll get back $1200-1600 but lose insurance on my stock rims.

C. Just get rid of the insurance and drive on the 19's with the winter tires?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #2
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

C. Even if you damage a few stock rims, it won't cost you 3400 to replace.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I would never ever buy the tire/wheel insurance. The risk of destroying $3400 in wheels and tires is so negligible. If you must have insurance you can go out to Discount Tire and pay them to insure your tires for a FRACTION of the cost. And who has heard of someone breaking or bending one of these forged M wheels? Last I heard the insurance won't cover curb rash but maybe that's changed.

Anyway, refund the insurance and get a separate winter wheel/tire set. Use your old winter tires if you want. I vote 19s because I'm like that but more conservative winter drivers would say 18s are needed.
Appreciate 0