E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Headgasket Starting to Leak?

11-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
mrmax1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

N54 Headgasket Starting to Leak?

Hi there. So a few weeks ago I started noticing some light, billowing smoke coming out from the turbo/down-pipe area. I saw some oil in the areas around the valve cover gasket, so I figured that it was time to replace it.

After replacing the gasket and the cover itself (just in case, since the PCV system is built-in), I still had the smoking. I saw that oil was actively dripping onto the rear downpipe, which was from me not tightening the bolts enough. I fixed that, and the smoking seemed to subside.

Now a few days later, I go out for another drive, and pop the hood when I get home just to inspect things over. I'm greeted with no smoke, but some bubbling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFpLIuSSgU

I also noticed this morning that the coolant expansion tank was low. The booey stick was barely even with the top lip of the tank.

Any thoughts? Car has ~88k miles.

[Edit] So I just went out to the car to take another look, to see if I could determine if the bubbling liquid was coolant or oil. Turns out that I didn't tighten down the coolant reservoir cap all the way when I was inspecting it earlier, so my coolant probably boiled. The gasket may have blown as a result of that I guess. =(

[Edit 2] I should add that no warning lights came on, and the oil temp gauge was still well below the 250F/120C.

Last edited by mrmax1984; 11-23-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0