BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > MPSS vs Colder Temperatures

11-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

MPSS vs Colder Temperatures

I know the typical cut off for summer performance tires is around 40-45F before there is a degradation in traction.

I just picked up my vehicle a few weeks ago and won't have an opportunity to purchase a winter setup for at least a few weeks. Has anyone driven on the MPSS tires with average highs in the 35-45F range? Just curious how well they hold up at lower temperatures but still above freezing. No plans on pushing the car as it is still within the break-in period.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

They will be greasy, very, very greasy. I drove with lows of around 35-40F (early morning, day highs of 50-55F) and even for the short 15min commute to work, you could tell they were having traction issues. And that's not even accounting for when they hit the ice patches, you might as well have caster wheels on haha

Can you get away with it? Sure. Would I recommend it? Hell no. But if you have to do it, be mindful of how you drive, be prepared to go sideways at any moment, and watch out for ice slicks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I drove on mine a couple of days in sub zero temps. The backend can get a bit squirrelly, but if you drive like a normal person there's still enough traction. It's when it gets cold and wet or a light dusting of snow that the PSS tires really become useless
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0