F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bit of weirdness
Studio RSR

11-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Bit of weirdness

So I took the car to a touchless carwash today and did the supreme - read extra long - wash. Then parked at a bank of vacuums to clean out the interior after COTA.

When I started the car back up and put it in reverse, the entire climate system went dead, the backup camera started flashing red squares and beeping off the wall like I had backed into something though nothing was behind me.
So I kept backing out and drove off towards my house when the climate system came back on about a block later.

But halfway home it cut out again, no power/AC/fan buttons would work and the display was blank like it was off, though the Nav, Sat radio and other electronics were working.

Then hitting the little lip/bump there is from the driveway to our garage made the climate system come back on...ugh!

Car has just 3100 miles on it and I don't have time this week to take it in this week - having arthroscopic surgery on my knee tomorrow from a hoops injury last month - but wanted to see if anyone has had a weird glitch like this happen. Could the high pressure wash have caused something to short/get wet?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
bcornwellatl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Haven't experienced it - but is it possible? sure. If you open your hood, and look to the upper left side (back left) - there is a plastic cover there. If you take that off, there is a sealed box that contains the ECU and fuses. It's "possible" that could have been compromised - not likely, but possible.

Or if you look to the right (upper right) there is a plastic housing there. If you take that off, you might see some fuses there? don't remember - but it's possible something caused the issue. from the sound of what your saying - could be a fuse - or a short - but a fuse would be my first guess...

that's all I've got... really odd issue... sorry - and hope surgery goes well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
So I took the car to a touchless carwash today and did the supreme - read extra long - wash. Then parked at a bank of vacuums to clean out the interior after COTA.

When I started the car back up and put it in reverse, the entire climate system went dead, the backup camera started flashing red squares and beeping off the wall like I had backed into something though nothing was behind me.
So I kept backing out and drove off towards my house when the climate system came back on about a block later.

But halfway home it cut out again, no power/AC/fan buttons would work and the display was blank like it was off, though the Nav, Sat radio and other electronics were working.

Then hitting the little lip/bump there is from the driveway to our garage made the climate system come back on...ugh!

Car has just 3100 miles on it and I don't have time this week to take it in this week - having arthroscopic surgery on my knee tomorrow from a hoops injury last month - but wanted to see if anyone has had a weird glitch like this happen. Could the high pressure wash have caused something to short/get wet?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornwellatl View Post
Haven't experienced it - but is it possible? sure. If you open your hood, and look to the upper left side (back left) - there is a plastic cover there. If you take that off, there is a sealed box that contains the ECU and fuses. It's "possible" that could have been compromised - not likely, but possible.

Or if you look to the right (upper right) there is a plastic housing there. If you take that off, you might see some fuses there? don't remember - but it's possible something caused the issue. from the sound of what your saying - could be a fuse - or a short - but a fuse would be my first guess...

that's all I've got... really odd issue... sorry - and hope surgery goes well...
Thanks, I'll take a peek when I'm back on my feet, scope went well - and they didn't have to do a microfracture - so will be back on my feet next week. Still need to swap back to street pads so will add this to my agenda of todo's
Appreciate 0