11-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Lightbulb M2 sales in the UK

I've been doing some homework on the state of the M2 market in the UK. Most people I speak to think the M2 is a good buy at the moment. If you have the money and space I've been advised to buy one, stick it in suitable storage and take it out again in 10 years....

From what I have been told most dealers in the UK have been allocated 2 or 3 cars a year, spaced out with one each 3-4 or 4-5 month cycles. Some dealer more, some dealers less but when you apportion it out among all the dealers it's repoted to be about 450-500 cars a year coming to the UK for each full year of production.

All the dealers I have spoken to in the South East of England (and I have spoken to a LOT of them) have 'sold' their 2017 allocations with some claiming to have sold '18. All have waiting lists for '18/LCI & M2 CSL.

Sales started in April this year with dealers selling the first stock of demonstrators and to the 'lucky few'. Within days of going on sale cars where available via the independents with asks of 5-10K over MSRP. I've kept an eye on the stock and they sell - for what I don't know but they sell eventually.

A check on the old AutoTrader displays 43 M2's for sale right now today in the UK. Of these 43 cars listed over half of them LBB DCT's. 10 White, 3 Black & 2 Grey and only 16 manuals in the whole set....

Some quick math, assuming 450 cars a year which is close enough to 38 cars a month. With delivery starting in Aril and we're in November now. Let's say 8 months at 38 cars a month would be 304 car delivered to the UK thus far. So that's about 15% of all the cars available for sale right now. Draw this out with the cars already sold and I recon it's more like 20-30% have been bought and sold on the secondary market.

I'd be interested to know the real volumes but it appears to be a buoyant market right now. There appears to be buyers at these premiums - somebody is taking profit - which is counter to the advise I've been given. Is this car a better short term 'sell'?

What do you think, are the dealers reporting long delivery hoping to drum up demand and create profits? Is BMW deliberately constraining supply to maintain demand in the marker? Is the M2 a hold in the hope it becomes a collectors item a la. 1M?

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 11-15-2016 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
kezm231.00
      11-16-2016, 02:16 AM   #2
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Hi,you're obviously a guy who likes his stats

I'm not sure I would hold out for the M2 to become a classic,you may well have a very long wait.The 1M is the collectors piece with only 450 made for the UK market,the M2 will comfortably exceed this.The 1M being the first of its kind,the M2 a sort of improved continuation of the theme,so it's been done already.If they bring out the CS this might prove different if it comes equipped with a better engine and manufactured numbers are lower.Anyhow the car market is fickle,prices can nose dive over night and it's not one I'd get involved in.

Taking Auto trader as an example,I'm not convinced the market is that buoyant as the same cars have been languishing on there for months with prices slowly being reduced from the over optimistic starting prices.

The M2 is a good car but not a great one which imo has been slightly over-hyped.It's also overpriced here in the UK compared to somewhere like the US and has annoying issues.New and used sales will eventually adjust to market demands. It's very reminiscent of what has happened to the M3/4 market,high initial demand with waiting lists and no discounts, speculators asking silly money etc etc.Look at it now for a possible indication.

I wouldn't be surprised if discounts aren't available next year once all the fanfare dies down especially if BMW don't upgrade the cosmetics and engine performance to compete with other makes that are going to be released,think RS3,amg 45 and the like.There's also the m240i factor...just a thought.

Last edited by Nine Lives; 11-16-2016 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 03:00 AM   #3
spanytom
Rep
Drives: ///M2 - LBB - 6MT

I'm sure there are much better ways to invest circa £45k over ten years than buying an M2!

It's a great car that I am really enjoying so far (after a 1 year wait for delivery as I wouldn't pay more than MSRP as a matter of principle) and I may well keep it long term, but would never have bought it as an investment. There might be a chance to make a relatively small short term profit on the car, but then I would have to buy another car and there isn't much else out there at the moment up to this price level that I fancy.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

I would imagine BMW factory to ramp up RHD UK orders next year..

If you want exclusivity.. seems like Audi's TT-RS is the flavour of the month..

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-g...sold-out/35302
      11-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #5
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

The prices of these cars will soon crash. Those who have recently bought one at circa 50k can expect to get around 38-40k trade in as of today. Private sale may yield 48k and this is because there are new cars with options at and around 50k.

Thw car is already moving into depreciation and this will only continue when more become available and the LCI comes out. The dealers will hang on until the last second before incentivising and/or reducing price.

I would think that the 3 year future value of this motor with average mileage would be around 25k, in line with the first RS3.

This car is frankly, not a good investment from now on and into the future.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
Minchy
Rep
Drives: M2 Mineral Grey 6MT

I would never in my right mind pay 70k for an Audi TT. A haldex equipped car.

Audis pricing baffles me. A TTS with a few options is the same price as an M2 here in the UK. Which is essentially a S3/Golf R. I really don't know how they shift the units they do, especially with the arrogant sales staff.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #7
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

They are not an investment by any means but I can't see the values crashing as supply is still restricted and no LCI model has officially been announced. The 2er model probably only has another 2 years to run until its replaced by the next version.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:52 AM   #8
M2wolf
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Manual

If you really do wanna invest.. just buy the 1M... sure it's gonna be quite dear but you can be assured it's a M classic
      11-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #9
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanytom View Post
I'm sure there are much better ways to invest circa £45k over ten years than buying an M2!

It's a great car that I am really enjoying so far (after a 1 year wait for delivery as I wouldn't pay more than MSRP as a matter of principle) and I may well keep it long term, but would never have bought it as an investment. There might be a chance to make a relatively small short term profit on the car, but then I would have to buy another car and there isn't much else out there at the moment up to this price level that I fancy.
That's pretty much my thoughts. I'm under no illusion that I will sell it for a quick profit or make money on it! Certainly I wouldn't want to sink nearly £50k on one to sit on a garage for 10 years, there's an absolute ton of cars I'd buy ahead of the M2 if that was my plan!!

What I do hope is that the comparable cost of ownership will be palatable, with strong residuals and reasonable running costs for a sporty daily driver.

I do question the incentive for BMW to ramp up RHD production next year though; the M2 has done it's marketing job very well and with the current exchange rate why bother churning out RHD cars for a lower margin that are more of a hassle to assemble at the factory and increases their CO2 average across the range? Far better to offer prospective punters an m240i with lower emissions, chunky discounts and finance support and point out that it's just as quick anyway, sir.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #10
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
The prices of these cars will soon crash. Those who have recently bought one at circa 50k can expect to get around 38-40k trade in as of today. Private sale may yield 48k and this is because there are new cars with options at and around 50k.

Thw car is already moving into depreciation and this will only continue when more become available and the LCI comes out. The dealers will hang on until the last second before incentivising and/or reducing price.

I would think that the 3 year future value of this motor with average mileage would be around 25k, in line with the first RS3.

This car is frankly, not a good investment from now on and into the future.
These are more or less my thoughts.

The used market buying figure is nowhere near what private punters are asking and even the trade hence why the cars are not shifting on the sale sites.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

What I will advise is if you do have one, drive it to your hearts content as in 3 years time a car with 30000miles on it as apposed to 10 or 20k will not really change the market value, just make it easier to sell.. I'd rather enjoy it for the 3 year and sell it for what it's worth at the time, no need to not drive this car in fear of high mileage.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

These threads lol. Are you buying a car or an investment?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
bridder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

I guess I have been lucky, I found a cancelled build slot for March, so they say.

So does that mean the new car price will not budget for a while? Because what if the price I have now is at £47K for purchase new, and if I end up waiting for a year, would that price be lower?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmmm I'm. It so sure. The car I declined to take in the end is sat in the showroom still at my dealers. I'm pretty sure I could get a 2017 allocation also.

Time will tell of course and I don't think anyone expects 1m levels of retained value but I agree that it might be one of the best in the BMW line up.
      11-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
kezm2
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BSM M2 Manual

Nice stats! My view is it won't be a classic, but my view is depreciation will be slow, particularly when (in the UK) the used cars after April look more appealing due to the change in new car tax.

If they move production from Leipzig and ramp up the numbers the car will drop in value, if they stay at 450 cars a year for 3 years and then they drop the model because the 2019 2 series goes front wheel drive or something like that then thats a huge win for the M2 values. There is a decent market for smaller performance cars, so I can see it continuing and them moving production to make assembly easier and increase margin on the car.

Fully agree with spanytom and I think the car is well priced. I think you have to be in the 60k+ area to get a car that matches M2 for RWD coupe etc. I know they group it with the A45, RS3, Focus RS and I like those cars but they are fast 4WD hatchbacks and for me a different car to the M2.

My imaginary investment 45k-60k would go into something thats dropped already, probably a manual 4.7 V8 vantage or a manual R8 V10. They are about 50% of original value so depreciation wise there should be much smaller drops to expect.

The advice to store it for 10 years I would be extremely wary of, there is 10 years of insurance, still needs to be serviced, storage costs. Lets say 1,200 a year. That means in years 10 the M2 has to be worth 55-57k to break even and you've not even enjoyed driving the car, if for some bizarre reason they are fetching 60/70k, will one with 10/15k miles on it be worth that much less.

I'm glad manuals are rare and they could become even more rare from April too as the DCT falls into a lower tax bracket.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all your input guys, it sure is an interesting debate. The only reason I bought it up was all the 'professionals' where trying to convince they are a smart buy. I though I was the only one who though that was BS. I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only one!

For clarity, I purchased my M2 because I wanted to drive it. I don't care what it's worth only care that I did not pay too much for it & be able to sell it in 3 years without loosing my shirt.
Appreciate 1
kezm231.00
      11-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #17
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
The M2 is a good car but not a great one which imo has been slightly over-hyped.It's also overpriced here in the UK compared to somewhere like the US and has annoying issues.
What annoying issues are you referring to? Small petrol tank? No M mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #18
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
What annoying issues are you referring to? Small petrol tank? No M mirrors?
"Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
The M2 is a good car but not a great one which imo has been slightly over-hyped.It's also overpriced here in the UK compared to somewhere like the US and has annoying issues. "

Yes,the petrol tank,back-lit instrument cluster is a biggie for me also and instrumentation generally.I'll put my neck out and say the performance could be a little more sprightly as well...

The mirrors and roof don't bother me though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:50 AM   #19
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
The tank is tiny. I have an e92 M3 now though and that large tank feels tiny... even so, my wife's M235 feels even smaller and therefore it will take a further relative shrink when coupled with an M2.

Oh well. Could be worse things to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 04:53 AM   #20
Euromeister
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

When will the M2 be sold out in the U.K.?

2016 sold out!
2017 sold out?
2018 ??
2019 ?
2020 ?
At some point someone will be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #21
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 is not sold out by any means. I know of 3 dealers who have car in their showrooms ready to drive away today.

Could be that some people on the lists have passed hoping for something special from a rumoured LCI.... but I'm yet to be convinced.

I honestly think, here in the UK at least the M2 hype has run out of steam and the supply has raised to a point to reach demand.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #22
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
The tank is tiny. I have an e92 M3 now though and that large tank feels tiny... even so, my wife's M235 feels even smaller and therefore it will take a further relative shrink when coupled with an M2.

Oh well. Could be worse things to worry about.
OK, so I'm also getting worse MPG than my V8. I got 19Mpg in that. I get 17Mpg in the M2...
Appreciate 0