E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > MOST Loop

11-08-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
xyzed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

MOST Loop

I have researched and found conflicting info on whether this is what should be used when removing the receiver from the trunk?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Looks good to me. Just double check it's correct for what you want to bypass.

Some MOST connectors used by BMW have a 4pin connector built in for modules like cd changer and amp. TCU doesn't and is just normal 2 wire fibre optic light in and out connector.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Looks good to me. Just double check it's correct for what you want to bypass.

Some MOST connectors used by BMW have a 4pin connector built in for modules like cd changer and amp. TCU doesn't and is just normal 2 wire fibre optic light in and out connector.
It is a 2 pin. I take it that the green wire and the wire in the black shield are FO, what do the other two wires provide for? And also can I remove the two FO cables from its location at the back seat?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzed View Post
It is a 2 pin. I take it that the green wire and the wire in the black shield are FO, what do the other two wires provide for? And also can I remove the two FO cables from its location at the back seat?
The two other wires are for power.

If you remove the proper cables from the fiber optic hub then you no longer need the loop. The loop is the easy method so you don't have to mess with the hub.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
The two other wires are for power.

If you remove the proper cables from the fiber optic hub then you no longer need the loop. The loop is the easy method so you don't have to mess with the hub.
Thanks. It will let me take that money and use it for cables. Any chance you might have the part numbers for GPS and Sat cables (or suggested aftermarket) from the aerial to the HU. I will be taking down the head liner to re-route cables
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

You can dig around realoem.com but it's probably integrated into the vehicle harness and not sold separately.

Any FAKRA cable should work, but be aware there are different orientation for the connectors and they are color coded. I believe a FAKRA "Z" connector is universal.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #7
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
You can dig around realoem.com but it's probably integrated into the vehicle harness and not sold separately.

Any FAKRA cable should work, but be aware there are different orientation for the connectors and they are color coded. I believe a FAKRA "Z" connector is universal.
Did some quick research and it looks like they are part of the Audio harness?
When you say orientation do you me straight connectors, 45 degree connectors?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did some quick research and it looks like they are part of the Audio harness?
When you say orientation do you me straight connectors, 45 degree connectors?
They have different little nubs on the jacks so only the matching pairs fit with each other. You can file down the nubs on the male end of the connector so they can accept any female connector, or just get a cable with the "Z" connector which will fit on any male FAKRA jack.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
They have different little nubs on the jacks so only the matching pairs fit with each other. You can file down the nubs on the male end of the connector so they can accept any female connector, or just get a cable with the "Z" connector which will fit on any male FAKRA jack.
A pic is worth a thousand words. I fully understand, now! Are both GPS and SDARS cables identical, out side of the connectors?. I guess they are rated in OHM's?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #10
ArcticRik
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic Metallic E90 335i

Quote:
Quote:
A pic is worth a thousand words. I fully understand, now! Are both GPS and SDARS cables identical, out side of the connectors?. I guess they are rated in OHM's?
Do you have a tcu and sat radio currently in your car? You can run extension cables from those 2 units to the back of the cic. No need to remove the headliner
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they are identical. I don't about the OHM rating or anything like that. I bought some generic 20 ft long FAKRA cable from ebay to extend the SDARS antenna from my trunk to NBT, and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRik View Post
Do you have a tcu and sat radio currently in your car? You can run extension cables from those 2 units to the back of the cic. No need to remove the headliner
Yes I have MULF2 and TCU along with SDARS. Do you have an aftermarket source you can provide for cables, unions and connectors!!. I figure that as long as I have the FO hub exposed to remove what I don't need: taking down the head liner to0 run two solid lines direct to the HU is not that much more aggravation, I think the less connections the fewer issues of failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
xyzed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they are identical. I don't about the OHM rating or anything like that. I bought some generic 20 ft long FAKRA cable from ebay to extend the SDARS antenna from my trunk to NBT, and it works fine.
I have seen the OHM ratings from 50 to 75, just want to make sure I am buying correct.

My research shows that the cable used for GPS is RG-174/U 50 ohm rated

Last edited by xyzed; 11-12-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0