THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications rear diffuser installation - cutting tailpipe necessary?

11-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

rear diffuser installation - cutting tailpipe necessary?

hey guys, i recently ordered a few parts from sunmotors and was looking into the installation of my m performance diffuser and had a few questions that i couldn't seem to find direct answers for in other threads:

-the installation indicates to cut the tailpipes around 120mm for an m235. im keeping the stock exhaust at this time and have the extenders, but no one seems to know why the cutting is necessary. is this a necessary step in the installation if im keeping my stock exhaust/tips? or is this just a step to deter me from installing it myself? i understand the extenders are necessary, but having a hard time figuring out why the extenders don't just serve their purpose when i purchased them to just fit correctly without modifications. any feedback from your own installation experience?

-i don't have a pipe cutter myself, is it true that standard tailpipe cutters that you can rent from an auto store are not able to cut the bmw tailpipes? do i need an electric saw?

any help would be appreciated, i'm simply asking these questions from comments i've seen in other threads and would hate to have to remove the diffuser just to drive back to the auto store for another part several times.

Last edited by wanofakind01; 11-05-2016 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Subscribed, can't really find point of doing it too. Don't want to spend 250? for installation in dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
hey guys, i recently ordered a few parts from sunmotors and was looking into the installation of my m performance diffuser and had a few questions that i couldn't seem to find direct answers for in other threads:

-the installation indicates to cut the tailpipes around 120mm for an m235. im keeping the stock exhaust at this time and have the extenders, but no one seems to know why the cutting is necessary. is this a necessary step in the installation if im keeping my stock exhaust/tips? or is this just a step to deter me from installing it myself? i understand the extenders are necessary, but having a hard time figuring out why the extenders don't just serve their purpose when i purchased them to just fit correctly without modifications. any feedback from your own installation experience?

-i don't have a pipe cutter myself, is it true that standard tailpipe cutters that you can rent from an auto store are not able to cut the bmw tailpipes? do i need an electric saw?

any help would be appreciated, i'm simply asking these questions from comments i've seen in other threads and would hate to have to remove the diffuser just to drive back to the auto store for another part several times.
The extending pipes are only designed to slip over about an inch of the original pipe. They are tapered so you cannot slip them over the whole existing pipe. You need to cut the original exhaust in order to get them to work correctly.

You should be fine with an exhaust cutter, but I did mine using a sawzall.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I've got an M Performance diffuser with stock tips and I didn't need to cut anything if it helps.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
I was originally going to keep stock exhaust w/ my m performance diffuser. My plan was to get BMS tips, they seemed to stick out a little further on the stock exhaust tips. Maybe that could work?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 04:23 AM   #6
kilox90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

The diffuser is relatively easy to uninstall, even if you have to uninstall the whole bumper for whatever reason, it doesn't take that long. I recently got the JL Motoring carbon fiber m style diffuser and it works fine with my stock exhaust.
Appreciate 0