E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > The Dreaded Engine Temp Light strikes again

10-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
bimfan
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The Dreaded Engine Temp Light strikes again

I bought my first BMW - an '08 335xi w/ 60k miles - about six months ago and have been loving my daily commute until Tuesday. On my way home, I hear this loud noise like there's a helicopter trying to take off from under the hood. Then I get the yellow temp light, immediately followed by red. Pulled over to let it cool down and limped home. Being a newb, I was unaware of the commonality of this scenario. From what I've read, my water pump just bit the dust. I was hoping for a recall (or something) on that part, but alas, no luck it seems.

Any recommendations for a reputable independent mechanic in the Pittsburgh area? I am planning to purchase the Water Pump and Thermostat kit from ECS Tuning, and have it installed by the mechanic (assuming they are cool with that). Are there any better options than this kit from ECS?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #2
wooboodoo
Rep
Drives: alpine white

The water pump flaked in my 535 about 2 months ago, I got my pump from the dealer and replaced thermostat at the same time, labor and parts $900. It's very easy to replace it but unfortunately you'll need lift or jack it up kinda high To get acces cause this freaking pump is on the bottom.
I've heard that in x5 cars you can replace pump removing right front wheel and fender liner but I'm not sure about 3 series maybe somebody can confirm it would save you couple hundred bucks.

Gl
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 05:35 AM   #3
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Buy an OEM pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
bimfan
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinispec View Post
Buy an OEM pump.
Any particular insight behind this comment? From what I read, VDO is the same company that manufactures the OEM pump?

Looks like Tischer has a similar kit with OEM parts, sans coolant. Should I go for that instead? https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
EdieC
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Same thing happened to me. I bought a new OEM water pump off eBay for way less than the dealer wanted and had it installed by my Indy guy. Saved quiet a bit going this route.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 335xi

I had the EXACT same scenario. Limped it home doing like 35MPH with the heater cranked all the way. Next day took it to dealership, I think mine was right around $850 to have pump and thermostat replaced. It's my DD, so I couldn't waste time attempting it myself on a weekday.
Appreciate 0