THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Tip on Grille Removal

10-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Tip on Grille Removal

Not sure if this has been mentioned in any of the threads on the topic, but I scraped my arm up pretty good swapping my grilles last night. Whole thing took maybe 15 mins start to finish with the bolts removed and bumper pulled forward, but you really need 3 hands. I did the first one alone with one hand doing clips and the other pulling on the front of the grille, and the bumper itself was pushing against my wrist the whole time. Second one I did the same exact thing but got GF to pull out the top of the bumper while I did the clips and pulled on the grille from the front. MUCH easier. Had I done both that way the whole job would have taken 5 mins. Hopefully will save some of you from similar hassle and pain.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned in any of the threads on the topic, but I scraped my arm up pretty good swapping my grilles last night. Whole thing took maybe 15 mins start to finish with the bolts removed and bumper pulled forward, but you really need 3 hands. I did the first one alone with one hand doing clips and the other pulling on the front of the grille, and the bumper itself was pushing against my wrist the whole time. Second one I did the same exact thing but got GF to pull out the top of the bumper while I did the clips and pulled on the grille from the front. MUCH easier. Had I done both that way the whole job would have taken 5 mins. Hopefully will save some of you from similar hassle and pain.
I feel your pain mate, i had the same experience when removing mine, forearms were scraped to buggery, ended up having the wife help me get the first side off lol. 2nd one was easy as i could just reach through the gap left by the removed one.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I feel your pain mate, i had the same experience when removing mine, forearms were scraped to buggery, ended up having the wife help me get the first side off lol. 2nd one was easy as i could just reach through the gap left by the removed one.
I did the same exact thing you did. Wife with small hand reached in, I pulled on the grill. Second just reached through the opening of the first removed grill to undo the second. My right arm looked like I cut myself on a daily basis until I grabbed my wife.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I guess I have tiny arms/wrists. I was able to undo the top part of the bumper and just shove my hand down there to pop it out.

If you need me, I guess I'll be at the gym.
Appreciate 0