THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Wax or sealant?

10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Wax or sealant?

Which do you prefer and why?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I like all natural wax, safe if I accidentally get some on rubber.
Don't know if any long term effects on using sealants on paint, but I had paint failure on a Mercedes after years of using 3M and Zaino and low end off the shelf waxes - so feel safer with all natural.

As far a looks, if a car is clean and waxed I always am happy with the shine.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

I believe that depends on your paint - metallic or not. For example for Alpine White I believe you want to use a sealant, a wax doesn't do what you want (there's no metallic sheen for you to deepen...)

edit: thus, I have a sealant I plan on putting on my AW car. Of course I better hurry and find the time to do it!
      10-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I typically use wax, only because I do it with some regularity.

You could always go sealant and then wax on top. I've done this too.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I use both. I have a sealant that lasts 6 months and then I've been using P21S once a month. It makes my mineral white look beautiful. You don't get the depth that you would in a darker car, but it makes the MW glow. Especially at dusk.

I'm about out of the P21S so I'm trying optimum spray wax next to see how that works. I doubt I'll get the same results as I do with P21S, but the reduced effort may make it worth it.

I also tried Adams H2O Guard and Gloss. Don't really get much depth, but man does it bead water like crazy. It supposedly lasts 2 months. I'm using it as a sealant refresher. Oh, I have xpel clear film, so a sealant is a must.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

The advice I got was to use sealer for daily drivers, or if you aren't going to wax monthly - better chemical protection, but not as good for shine/luster. Wax is probably just as good protection, but does not last very long and you need more attention to bird droppings. I'm too busy to keep up with pure wax, so I sealed, but also use a spray wax each wash (Griots); almost a year and still beads great - now to catch one of the last good weekends and redo the sealant.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Collinite N0. 845

Yes this is a wax -- not sure you can do better for the money. My AW looks good with this stuff. So easy on /off. I do have a DA polisher but I simply hand apply after a good wash / clay / DA Polish with M #205 / Collinite 845 .

The DA polish is only applied 2X per year but the Collinite 845 6-8X per year.
Has worked great for me.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I tried the Optimum spray wax this past weekend. As expected, it doesn't provide as much shine/luster as the P21S provides. That said, I'm very impressed with this product. It does shine for sure. Maybe not as much as P21S, but when you consider that it only took me like 10 mins to do the whole car I'd say that it's a more than acceptable trade-off.

If I was competing in some car show I'd go with the paste, but for my daily driver this is more than fine. This, combined with everything else I do, has my car beading water like crazy.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
Yes this is a wax -- not sure you can do better for the money. My AW looks good with this stuff. So easy on /off. I do have a DA polisher but I simply hand apply after a good wash / clay / DA Polish with M #205 / Collinite 845 .

The DA polish is only applied 2X per year but the Collinite 845 6-8X per year.
Has worked great for me.
I use 845 as well, over klasse. Paint correction, klasse aio, klasse sealant glaze then 845. Klasse twice a year 845 as needed. Klasse I use on every vehicle, the shop truck is very similar to the eb blue, lives outside in flordia at a warehouse, washed every month or less, looks perfect.

There are much more expensive sealants, they all share the same directions, full paint correction then apply, once or twice a year. That's what makes paint look great, the correction. Most even suggest applying wax over the top for more shine.

Some guy split his rv into like 40 panels and tried every sealant, wax, ext that anyone would send him. Applied and that's it for a year, klasse lasted longer than any other one.
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I tried the Optimum spray wax this past weekend. As expected, it doesn't provide as much shine/luster as the P21S provides. That said, I'm very impressed with this product. It does shine for sure. Maybe not as much as P21S, but when you consider that it only took me like 10 mins to do the whole car I'd say that it's a more than acceptable trade-off.

If I was competing in some car show I'd go with the paste, but for my daily driver this is more than fine. This, combined with everything else I do, has my car beading water like crazy.

CROFTGATE QUICK-N-SLICK HIGH GLOSS POLISH & PAINT SEALANT is amazing for a spray, they come to track days, they cleaned one of my track cars that was white, covered in tire marks, grit grime ext just with the spray, it was spotless. I use is sometimes as a supplement if I don't feel like waxing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

So I tried C.A.R. Speed Seal last weekend. For a paint sealant it's amazing. The ease of application is great too. Wash the car. Before drying spray it on the car. Rinse off then dry.
Appreciate 0