BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Emergency call malfunction after 1,200 mile service?

10-21-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 BSM

Emergency call malfunction after 1,200 mile service?

Just had my car in for the 1,200 mile service. As soon as I got it back I noticed a notification on the dash (yellow triangle). Going into notifications in iDrive this is what it shows (attached). It says, "Emergency call malfunction" I went back in and they brought a tech out who had absolutely no clue why it would do that as a brand new car or one that was just in for 1,200 mile service. He wanted me to leave the car again but I needed it for this weekend for a tint appointment, will bring it back in a few days, but just wondering what the heck is going on. Google wasn't that helpful, or maybe I didn't search well enough?

UPDATE 10/25/16: Seems like no one else has really had the same issue, so I'm updating this in case someone does down the line. I also realized my voice is not being recognized. It'll prompt me to say something but it will not recognize what I'm saying, even though it used to work before I took it in for the 1,200 mile service. Dropped the car off again. They're saying I now need my combox replaced and they're ordering one from Germany that should arrive in a week. No one is really sure what happened and it's just been frustrating.

UPDATE 11/04/16: New combox and microphone installed. Problem persisted. Battery for combox then replaced, problem fixed. All is good now
Attached Images

Last edited by WaMi; 11-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: Update on original issue
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

My car did the same thing briefly in the dash but reset itself right after the 1200 mile service also.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
My car did the same thing briefly in the dash but reset itself right after the 1200 mile service also.
I had hope that mine would be the same, but alas, it's been constantly on
      11-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep

Dealer never told me if there was anything wrong :

I've had two other strange electronic things happen with my M2. Both times I was on the highway in 6th gear (MT) with the cruise control set at 80mph (don't tell the cops). With absolutely no one around me (empty highway) and no debris in the road, the collision avoidance warning popped up on my dash briefly and then disappeared. It did not kick off the cruise control or apply the brakes. This has happened twice. Both times were during the day in sunny weather. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
Dealer never told me if there was anything wrong :

I've had two other strange electronic things happen with my M2. Both times I was on the highway in 6th gear (MT) with the cruise control set at 80mph (don't tell the cops). With absolutely no one around me (empty highway) and no debris in the road, the collision avoidance warning popped up on my dash briefly and then disappeared. It did not kick off the cruise control or apply the brakes. This has happened twice. Both times were during the day in sunny weather. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
That happened to me once for like two seconds! Clear highway, no debris, no anything, and it showed me collision warning on dash and started beeping like it was about to engage then went away. I thought it may have detected some really large inset or something? It was weird.
      11-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
My SOS function hasn't worked since I got the car (only 5 days ago but still). They tried to fix it while I was still doing the other parts of PCD but no dice. If I try to make an emergency call, the call goes through and data transfers but neither party can hear the other. I'm also getting random popups with the same malfunction notice even though I haven't tried to make a call in two days. I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, and hopefully the fix is as simple as yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
WaMi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
My SOS function hasn't worked since I got the car (only 5 days ago but still). They tried to fix it while I was still doing the other parts of PCD but no dice. If I try to make an emergency call, the call goes through and data transfers but neither party can hear the other. I'm also getting random popups with the same malfunction notice even though I haven't tried to make a call in two days. I'll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, and hopefully the fix is as simple as yours.
That sucks, I know how frustrating it can be on a new car, and one that wasn't cheap either. They ended up replacing not only my mic and combox, but also the "battery that sits on top of the combox." They did that because even after combox and mic replacement, the SOS malfunction was still happening and they replaced its battery and now all is good as new, so keep that in mind if they can't figure it out.
      11-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi View Post
That sucks, I know how frustrating it can be on a new car, and one that wasn't cheap either. They ended up replacing not only my mic and combox, but also the "battery that sits on top of the combox." They did that because even after combox and mic replacement, the SOS malfunction was still happening and they replaced its battery and now all is good as new, so keep that in mind if they can't figure it out.
Thanks, I just dropped it off and mentioned your solution. My SA said this is something they've seen before so hopefully it's a straightforward fix. I'll be sure to come back and post the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #9
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaMi View Post
Thanks, I just dropped it off and mentioned your solution. My SA said this is something they've seen before so hopefully it's a straightforward fix. I'll be sure to come back and post the results.
Any update? I have the same issue. It happened after I used the sos button once to set up bmw connected drive. Call went fine. As soon as I hung up the emergency call malfunction popped up and does not go away. A service guy told me on the phone that they may need to reprogram the car to get rid of this error. Not sure he really knew what he was talking about. I will address it at 1200 mile service.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
Any update? I have the same issue. It happened after I used the sos button once to set up bmw connected drive. Call went fine. As soon as I hung up the emergency call malfunction popped up and does not go away. A service guy told me on the phone that they may need to reprogram the car to get rid of this error. Not sure he really knew what he was talking about. I will address it at 1200 mile service.
Sorry, just seeing this.

Yes - the com box needs to be replaced, and there are none in stock anywhere. I'm waiting for mine to come in - they told me they'd either have to pull one from a car on the production line or get a new one made, basically. They estimated 12/1, so it shouldn't be long now.

The car is totally drivable in the meantime, and the funky errors I'd been getting have been much less frequent since the first week or so. I haven't pressed the SOS button recently, so that might be why. I'll report back after the box gets replaced.
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      12-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Follow up - got the combox replaced this week, and everything is fixed! Just in time, too, since it started throwing a bunch of "SOS call failure" and "lighting system failure" errors again. It's really nice to feel like I finally have a "complete" new car.

It sounded like the dealer got a bunch of boxes in at once, so maybe the supply is opening up. Hopefully it won't be an issue for new production moving forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep

It has happened again to me. Now the SOS call malfunction is permanently illuminated and appears as an error asking me to contact service.

Additionally, the navigation system is no longer working in my car (doesn't place me on a road) in an area I know there's good cell service so it should have no problem with location.

Additionally, the idrive 5.0 no longer recognizes voice commands.

I have video of all of it. Taking it to the dealer next Monday. Will give update when I have one.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
NJ-DUC
Rep

Sos malfunction

Just happened to me. They are replacing that box. I will tell them about the battery. Supposedly there is a service bulletin on the issue now.
Appreciate 0