THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Modified Sto-n-Sho License Plate Bracket

10-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
RacerDad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Modified Sto-n-Sho License Plate Bracket

My state requires a front license plate, but I did not want to remove the ED plate from Germany. I researched my options on this forum and found a few ideas including the US Millworks tow hook bracket, the Bell no hole universal bracket, and the Sto-n-Sho from Big Mike's Performance.

I did not like the offset look of the tow hook location with the ED plate or the Bell bracket which attached to the plastic grill. I went with the Stonsho after seeing it in person on @RJCrew; 's car at our local Cars and Coffee. My only issue with this bracket is how low it mounted and that the plate would block the intercooler.

In the end, I decided to modify the Stonsho bracket for what I needed.

First I marked where the center line is. This would be the reference point for the bracket installation.

Next I had to determine how deep the sliding rails could go without impacting the lower grill. In its standard configuration is would press the grill inward.

I marked how far out the rails needed to extend past the bracket without creating interference from the grill or the existing plate.

I marked the location on the rails and where a new notch would need to be cut for the retaining pin.

Next I cut a new notch in the rail for the lock pin to go into. I know the new notch looks rough, but I hadn't filed it smooth at this point (mainly because I can't find my files ).

The bracket was mounted under the center portion of the bumper using the supplied self-tapping screws. I was worried that I would be drilling into something vital, but the screws go into the plastic just as it would in the recommended location at the bottom of the spoiler. With the bracket in the location I chose, you might see the bracket without the plate, but it is not very noticeable.

Finally, I installed the plate holder to the bracket.

The plate does not stick out any further than the factory bracket. I would recommend taking the plate off if you go through an automated car wash.

Last edited by RacerDad; 10-10-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

That's my car in your first pic Good job on the adjustments. Are you able to see the mounting hardware if you don't have the front plate installed? That would be my only concern of doing it your way.
Appreciate 0