BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-03-2008, 04:15 AM   #1
Leg
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Advice on HRE P40 Gloss Black wheels and Continental SP2 tyres

I have been offered a brand new set of HRE P40 Gloss Black wheels and Continental SP2 tyres from a reputable supplier here in the UK as follows:

19x9.0 Front mounted with 245/35-19 Continental SP2 tyres
19x10.5 Rear mounted with 295/30-19 Continental SP2 tyres

and am unsure about the tyre quality, fit etc (would I get rubbing?). Any advice and opinions would be gratefully recieved.

The wheels themselves are very light according tot he supplier. Price Ive been offered is £3500 for the whole package.

The wheel...

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
Jack's dad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I have been spending a lot of time on the HRE web-site, since they appear to be one of the few vendors who will supply after-market 18's, which is what I am considering for my sedan. I looked at these P 40's - they are sharp, but the HRE site says they are exclusively for Porsche. Are you certain they will fit? I would check with HRE directly rather than relying upon a local supplier's word...

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's dad View Post
I have been spending a lot of time on the HRE web-site, since they appear to be one of the few vendors who will supply after-market 18's, which is what I am considering for my sedan. I looked at these P 40's - they are sharp, but the HRE site says they are exclusively for Porsche. Are you certain they will fit? I would check with HRE directly rather than relying upon a local supplier's word...

Steve
I would have the first set of M3 specific ones in the UK. 2-3 week delivery from now.

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
Jack's dad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
I would have the first set of M3 specific ones in the UK. 2-3 week delivery from now.
Cool - very nice looking wheels!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Leg
Captain
Rep

Main question is 'are the tyres ok?' I dont really know continentals. Never had any.

Just had an email from them guaranteeing no rubbing.

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #6
gtb75
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06

Conti's usually aren't bad tires... Here's some feedback on the SportContact 2's: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SportContact+2

If you have a choice, the Michelin PS2's are a good tire (I've used them before) and seem to review better: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2

Hope that helps...

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon
Brilliant Silver / Tweed M5 - 229AWHP / 260AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb75 View Post
Conti's usually aren't bad tires... Here's some feedback on the SportContact 2's: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SportContact+2

If you have a choice, the Michelin PS2's are a good tire (I've used them before) and seem to review better: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+PS2

Hope that helps...
Thanks. Ive been quoted £500 more for the Michelins over the Contis for the same wheel package (Michelins are a bit bigger in terms of width).

VW Tiguan 4x4
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

silver p40

I love the P40, but at over $5k a set, the RAC's could be a better value. Both are so similar.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68 View Post
I love the P40, but at over $5k a set, the RAC's could be a better value. Both are so similar.
RAC is a much stronger wheel too.

Last edited by hakaida442; 04-03-2008 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Cheaper and stronger gets my vote!

And it's actually gonna be something like 6-7 K w/ tires

For the thread creator:
Wheels are ~ 21-22 lbs each. They are forged, but not die-forged. They are cut out of a piece of aluminum, not imprinted, and so they are slightly weaker than other better wheels. They are good, but quite overpriced. If you plan on tracking your car lightly, then these are fine. If you're looking into getting that design for your wheels (very nice IMO), I would suggest looking into something like Neez, which are stronger and about the same price. Better yet, RAC wheels will probably be stronger (and cheaper) than all the above, but are really not readily available. There is a thread that is alluding to potential development and group buy for the E92 M3, but this won't happen before 10+ months. If you're looking to get now, either get these, or Neez.

Thread's here: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=204946

My 0.02$, but since this thread is about the tires and not the wheels, you may disregard my post. The tires should be good, but I know for a fact that the Michelin PS2 are LOVED by all that own them. Whether that's worth the extra 1K for them or not (I don't think so) is for you to decide.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
crimsone90
Banned
Rep
Drives: MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Cheaper and stronger gets my vote!

And it's actually gonna be something like 6-7 K w/ tires

For the thread creator:
Wheels are ~ 21-22 lbs each. They are forged, but not die-forged. They are cut out of a piece of aluminum, not imprinted, and so they are slightly weaker than other better wheels. They are good, but quite overpriced. If you plan on tracking your car lightly, then these are fine. If you're looking into getting that design for your wheels (very nice IMO), I would suggest looking into something like Neez, which are stronger and about the same price. Better yet, RAC wheels will probably be stronger (and cheaper) than all the above, but are really not readily available. There is a thread that is alluding to potential development and group buy for the E92 M3, but this won't happen before 10+ months. If you're looking to get now, either get these, or Neez.

Thread's here: http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=204946

My 0.02$, but since this thread is about the tires and not the wheels, you may disregard my post. The tires should be good, but I know for a fact that the Michelin PS2 are LOVED by all that own them. Whether that's worth the extra 1K for them or not (I don't think so) is for you to decide.

Good luck.
+ 1

EDIT: HRE are machined from a forged blank according to HRE COO.

Last edited by crimsone90; 04-08-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #12
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsone90 View Post
+ 1

For $6,000 you are getting a set of wheels machined from a square forged aluminum billet! These wheels are not machined from a blank like NEEZ/MORR/BBS/Volk/RAC (impression or non-impression). In other words, you are really not getting your money's worth.
Whereas I agree with you, don't include Morr in that list, as all the proof we have of it being 8000TON forged is from Carlos. No one has verified this, unlike Volk/BBS/RAC.

Now back on topic...about the tires!
Again, to reiterate, they are surely good, but the Michelin SP2 are better, but probably not work the extra 1K.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
crimsone90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Whereas I agree with you, don't include Morr in that list, as all the proof we have of it being 8000TON forged is from Carlos. No one has verified this, unlike Volk/BBS/RAC.

Now back on topic...about the tires!
Again, to reiterate, they are surely good, but the Michelin SP2 are better, but probably not work the extra 1K.
What verification would you like? Not stating the contrary but what verification has Volk/BBS/RAC provided you? Do you mind it sharing it with us?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
RAC uses Champion, which outsource their forging to Japan, I believe.
BBS has given their information also
Volk has various videos on the net showing manufacturing process.

The 1st 2, you'll have to search around where they forge them, but you can find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #15
crimsone90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
RAC uses Champion, which outsource their forging to Japan, I believe.
BBS has given their information also
Volk has various videos on the net showing manufacturing process.

The 1st 2, you'll have to search around where they forge them, but you can find it.
That is exactly my point. Those 3 manufacturers are also claiming to be 8000TON. Champion could be getting their forgings from Mexico for all you know. BBS is BBS, but what confirms their forgings are 8000TON? Volk shows their manufacturing process but does in any part of the video shows any proof of 8000TON forging? None has provided "evidence" or "confirmed" it. Why do other manufacturers have to provide evidence or confirmed it if the others have not done it?

Funny thing is 8000TON is not even necessary to forge a automobile 19". 4000TON would do the job just as good. 8000TON is more for truck/bus wheels and larger applications.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
They have confirmed it. My knowledge of this is not high though, so I cannot tell you where this information can be obtained. If you do take time and search you will find it...I just don't have any!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #17
crimsone90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
They have confirmed it. My knowledge of this is not high though, so I cannot tell you where this information can be obtained. If you do take time and search you will find it...I just don't have any!
There you go.
Just FYI, nobody has any.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Nowadays, you're entirely right!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

Sorry but if I am not mistaken the HRE P-series are only for Porsche applications.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
HRE wheel construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsone90 View Post
+ 1

For $6,000 you are getting a set of wheels machined from a square forged aluminum billet! These wheels are not machined from a blank like NEEZ/MORR/BBS/Volk/RAC (impression or non-impression). In other words, you are really not getting your money's worth.

EDIT: HRE are machined from a forged blank according to HRE COO.
Crimsone90, I know you have some expertise on wheel construction, but what you state above (using open die forming) is totally contrary to what Alan stated (Post #17: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131860):

"Everyone uses Closed Die Forging. Open Die or Hand Forging isn't accurate enough and is sort of the modern hammer and anvil. In terms of forging from a circle blank, I don't know anyone that does that as you would in fact not get much benefit from the forging process. The material has to flow and a lot of energy needs to be imparted into the material in order to change the crystalline structure. If you just pressed on something that was already near the final shape, you wouldn't gain much, but I don't really know of anyone that does this.

In terms of 1-pc, the forgings start from bar stock as well and they are close die forged into a blank and then the barrel part is spun. The is the where the forged/spun term comes from. This method of spinning the rim from a forging is actually called flow-forming. In comparison, on 3-pc rims the barrels are spun from 5 mm thick sheet, not a solid. It is almost the same process and uses the same type of machine w/ a similar end result, but w/ 1pc, you have to go back and do a final machining pass. This does allow the 1pc to be extremely precise though if done properly.

Crimsone90's post about these methods is accurate. His earlier post about HRE was not. He assumed we didn't do it the right way. I really don't know many that don't do it like this, maybe some of the cheaper guys, but not anyone that sources from APP or Japan."

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
crimsone90
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Crimsone90, I know you have some expertise on wheel construction, but what you state above (using open die forming) is totally contrary to what Alan stated (Post #17: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131860):

"Everyone uses Closed Die Forging. Open Die or Hand Forging isn't accurate enough and is sort of the modern hammer and anvil. In terms of forging from a circle blank, I don't know anyone that does that as you would in fact not get much benefit from the forging process. The material has to flow and a lot of energy needs to be imparted into the material in order to change the crystalline structure. If you just pressed on something that was already near the final shape, you wouldn't gain much, but I don't really know of anyone that does this.

In terms of 1-pc, the forgings start from bar stock as well and they are close die forged into a blank and then the barrel part is spun. The is the where the forged/spun term comes from. This method of spinning the rim from a forging is actually called flow-forming. In comparison, on 3-pc rims the barrels are spun from 5 mm thick sheet, not a solid. It is almost the same process and uses the same type of machine w/ a similar end result, but w/ 1pc, you have to go back and do a final machining pass. This does allow the 1pc to be extremely precise though if done properly.

Crimsone90's post about these methods is accurate. His earlier post about HRE was not. He assumed we didn't do it the right way. I really don't know many that don't do it like this, maybe some of the cheaper guys, but not anyone that sources from APP or Japan."
I edited it already.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #22
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

csc2's are being replaced by the csc3's, which are pretty on par with the PS2's. see what type of prices you get on these.
Appreciate 0