BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Considering an M240i (or M2) as my "mid life crisis" vehicle. Thoughts?

10-05-2016, 03:29 AM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Considering an M240i (or M2) as my "mid life crisis" vehicle. Thoughts?

I currently drive a 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT that I just paid off. Previously owned multiple BMWs I pruchased used (E90 330i, E36 M3 5MT, E92 335i 6MT) prior but they all had something wrong with them that scared me away. I wanted something reliable and new, so I came upon the BRZ. Suffice to say, it has also presented me with some issues that luckily have been covered under warranty. Two timing cover leaks, a worn throw out bearing. Not to mention since it was a first year, there are common issues with the direct injector seals and rear axles breaking. Haven't had those issues and hope not to. I like the BRZ, but I don't see it as a car I want to keep for a long time, it's too raw.

That brings me to this point. I'm 31 and single. I have no debt aside from a mortgage. So that next big purchase is out of the way. Since I don't have a family yet, I'm really considering buying the car I want now because I know when and if I do start a family, I wouldn't want o spend money on a super nice car. My retirement contributions are maxed out.

I have $500/mo that I allocate to a car comfortably, but with the payments done on the BRZ, half of it is going into a car disaster fund and the other half i'm adding to my travel fund.

Calculating the cost of the M240i and M2, I'm estimating about a ~$750/mo payment. It's a stretch over my $500, but I also have a savings fund that I will pull from. I mean, I was horrible with money in my 20s, was $36k in debt but paid it all off and have been saving since so I feel like why just keep all that money there if I'm not going to use it?

Any thoughts from people wiser than me or if anyone has gone through something like this?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 05:54 AM   #2
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

What about C7? Seems to be more of a "mid life crises" car. If it's a stretch for the M2, just go for the 240. Just make sure you will enjoy the 240 more than a couple months. Worst thing is to have a payment and not get the enjoyment out of the car. M2 will hold its value better and will be easier on you to dump if you need to. You can always save for a year or two and jump to a Porsche.
Appreciate 1
tracerit139.00
      10-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

I think you're about 20yrs too young for a crisis

However,if you're going to have a midlifer get the M2.

If you're over a crisis get the m240i.

Or to hell with it all and get the Porsche
Appreciate 7
ABPReader215.00
tracerit139.00
buddalun678.00
qnet679.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
Zippster460.00
      10-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not so much a crisis but more like getting it out of the way before the future missus says "no, you can't get a new expensive sports car" lol.

The Cayman GTS is what I really want, but the price is way out there and maintenance costs afterwards just scares me. THe BMW 2ers are more practical and there are plenty more service centers nearby so I feel more comfortable with these.

The only thign that sucks is that there are no M2s available for test drive to compare against the M240i. But a vast majority of the comparisons says there is definitely an improvement over the M240i. I'll be waiting a year anyways to see how the LCI M240i looks and by then hopefully some used M2s will pop up for test drives.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
megacondenser
Largely Lurking
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 C4GTS

If you really think this is going to be your last kick at the proper sports car can at the ripe old age of 31, get something great that you'll look back at with pride and fondness. Get yourself a Porsche, not the M2, and for heaven's sake not any of the M2xxi variants. Grab that Cayman GTS or look around for a bit for an older 991.1.

Just my .02.
2013 Polar White/Black C63 Perf Package
Appreciate 2
tracerit139.00
      10-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

I own a classic Porsche and my M2 should be here before year's end. Make sure to compare apples to apples on a choice like this. "A Porsche," especially "a new Porsche" covers a price range that could make the M2 look positively cheap. If you are stretching as it is, the only way I'd get a Porsche instead of an M2 is if 1) I'd be happy to drive a two seat car a lot (and it sounds like you don't yet have a family, so this may not be an issue for you), and 2) I'd be willing to buy used.

That said, the reason I am getting another BMW M car is that I already have the Porsche of my dreams and have modified it to be exactly what I want, because my other car is also basically a two seat GT car, and because my former daily before I totaled it was an E36 M3. The M2 makes a lot of sense under that scenario.

IF this is THE chance you are going to have to get a balls-out sports car, buy a good used Porsche. But if it is an either/or, and you want an excellent sports sedan, the M2 is the choice. I haven't driven an M240i, but I have driven an M235i quite a bit, and it's a good car (especially modded properly). But as between the two for me it would be an M2 all the way. The small price delta alone makes that an obvious choice for me.

Last edited by BruceM; 10-11-2016 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
tracerit139.00
Robin_NL8709.00
      10-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep

I actually went to drive a M240i and wasn't that impressed by it :/ Compared to my BRZ in stick, the ride comfort was nice but I was expecting more of a difference between Comfort and Sport. The steering wasn't heavy as well, I felt like I had to make more turns during slow speeds, and the steering feel was non existent. I dtest drove the 8speed and in Comfort, I was hoping to have extremely smooth unnoticeable shifts but I still felt the jerkiness that would come with driving a manual. Overall, I think I'll hold onto the BRZ for a few more years and test drive the Porsches recommended here. The 2014 Cayman S is actually my dream car
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

964RS(driven one 21 years ago, forever smitten, should have bought it lol) , GT4, GT3/RS etc. it doesn't get any better or it has to come from Maranello...

But...For the rest, get an M2 asap if you like to track your car or drive faster, not a normal '911' (they are highly overrated in many aspects, I've driven more than a handful and wanted one, but not anymore).

240i, great engine. But the chassis

M2 on track.Heaven. No need for a Cayman. Only GT4. Trust me.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
tracerit139.00
      10-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #9
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Have you tried a test drive with the GTS? To me, the 981 feels very different from the 2er, and that can be a good or bad thing, depending on your wants/needs and point of view.

I am in a similar situation as you - 30s and no kids (but have a missus) and I don't miss the additional utility I had with my 135s or the 235. I am not sure if anyone was ever even in my backseat.

I can't speak to the M2, because I haven't been able to drive one...but the 981 has some aspects that you will either love or you will hate. It's low to the ground, there's a lot of tire and cabin noise (especially with the PSE) and it loves high revs (but then gas mileage is ~15 MPG for me )...so you might see if you can get a test drive that lasts an hour or more and see if you love or hate those things. It might make your decision easier.
      10-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
I currently drive a 2013 Subaru BRZ 6MT that I just paid off. Previously owned multiple BMWs I pruchased used (E90 330i, E36 M3 5MT, E92 335i 6MT) prior but they all had something wrong with them that scared me away. I wanted something reliable and new, so I came upon the BRZ. Suffice to say, it has also presented me with some issues that luckily have been covered under warranty. Two timing cover leaks, a worn throw out bearing. Not to mention since it was a first year, there are common issues with the direct injector seals and rear axles breaking. Haven't had those issues and hope not to. I like the BRZ, but I don't see it as a car I want to keep for a long time, it's too raw.

That brings me to this point. I'm 31 and single. I have no debt aside from a mortgage. So that next big purchase is out of the way. Since I don't have a family yet, I'm really considering buying the car I want now because I know when and if I do start a family, I wouldn't want o spend money on a super nice car. My retirement contributions are maxed out.

I have $500/mo that I allocate to a car comfortably, but with the payments done on the BRZ, half of it is going into a car disaster fund and the other half i'm adding to my travel fund.

Calculating the cost of the M240i and M2, I'm estimating about a ~$750/mo payment. It's a stretch over my $500, but I also have a savings fund that I will pull from. I mean, I was horrible with money in my 20s, was $36k in debt but paid it all off and have been saving since so I feel like why just keep all that money there if I'm not going to use it?

Any thoughts from people wiser than me or if anyone has gone through something like this?
You don't strike me as someone who would really need advice from "wiser" people (that you don't even know), you should probably figure out yourself what's the best option. Personally I would consider a well configured (and maintained) recent Cayman S with the now old "flat 6", especially coming from a Subaru. The chassis and the balance/weight are far superior to the M2 and the engine is a gem (bonus sound). That's a real sports car and a future classic by the way, I doubt the current generation M2 will ever be more than a entry line BMW M product. A 911 (again, a NA flat 6), especially in the base form, is in another league for a hole lot of reasons, anyway, let's stay with our feet on the ground.

If the higher maintenance cost associated to the Porsche would be a burden, you might need in the future back seats or would like to remain "cerebral", M2 makes real sense. But still it has nothing to do with a "mid life crisis" vehicle (even in flashy LBB), is just a (good) vehicle , nothing more.

Best of luck

Last edited by flyaway; 10-11-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #11
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit

Your not even close to old enough to have a mid life crisis.

There are so many 31 year olds with M2s. I think you are definitely capable of affording it.

Don't ask here if you should buy one. The fact is that you should just go and buy one if u have to post here.
tracerit139.00
      10-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #12
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I find once you've got that bug, there's no turning back, so the next car won't be your last chance, don't think of it Like that. The misses won't be able to stop you, unless she's not the right one!
Over the next 10-20 years your income will increase, you'll be able to afford more and you'll spend more.
You've had the brz so you appreciate driving, you'll slowly work your way up in terms of performance and price. If you can afford it, get the M2 (or a Porsche!), when family/kids come you can switch to an M3.
BMW, like other brands have many cars to keep you in their family for many years to come.
Appreciate 1
tracerit139.00
      10-15-2016, 09:56 AM   #13
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Not so much a crisis but more like getting it out of the way before the future missus says "no, you can't get a new expensive sports car" lol.

The Cayman GTS is what I really want, but the price is way out there and maintenance costs afterwards just scares me. THe BMW 2ers are more practical and there are plenty more service centers nearby so I feel more comfortable with these.

The only thign that sucks is that there are no M2s available for test drive to compare against the M240i. But a vast majority of the comparisons says there is definitely an improvement over the M240i. I'll be waiting a year anyways to see how the LCI M240i looks and by then hopefully some used M2s will pop up for test drives.
A normal 911 is a lot more expensive then a new M2 or used Cayman GTS. A normal 911 (997 & 991) does not exite me that much. For me personally it needs to be at least a GTS model or a GT model. The 981 Cayman is a really nice package for the "Porsche" money! In my country a two year old low mileage 981 Cayman GTS is a $8 - $10.000 more expensive then a new M2. The normal 981 Cayman S is to normal for me and I would want the more expensive GTS.

I went for a M2 because it is a great daily driveable car with high levels of entertainment and still be practical for a nice price. If it was not my daily car then I would probably went down the Porsche route also, but for a weekend only car a GTS is not special enough for me and the Cayman I really wanted would be the GT4... Still want one, not as as a replacement for my future M2...but rather sitting next to the M2 in my garage

The M2 is a great car...but if you want your car to feel and look more as a real sportcar, you are probably better of with a Porsche.....if your budget can handle it offcourse. Porsche cars are awesome and a Cayman GTS is a mighty capabel machine and a awesome sportscar. But for me the price vs fun vs pratical that a M2 has to offer is not easy to beat by any other car at this time and I allready have a two seater sports car sitting in my garage (Z4M).

Whatever you do...if you really want a sportscar, a special feeling and a special car...don't get the M240i...for me personally it does nothing for me. I have zero exitment for this car and a fully loaded M240i is not so far of the budget of an M2... If you are on a budget, get something cheaper then M240i and buy your real sportscar on a other time in your live.

Last edited by Franzino; 10-15-2016 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
tracerit139.00
      10-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #14
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT with the great MPE

Quote:

Simple, put a M2 and a M240i side by side and look at them and the choice will be quite simple...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #15
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Do you need new? How about an E46M Competition Package or a nicely turned out e92m?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Porsche turbo. Nothing less. But a mid life crisis is when you hit 50!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #17
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Actually, 30 is the new 50...or is 50 the new 30? So we don't get our midlife toys until we're 70?!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #18
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Mid life crisis or not....you only live once...buy the car you want when you can!

When I was younger (pre midlife crisis) I really wanted an M car and a convertible, so my first M car was a used Z4M roadster which I still have today. I'm so happy I bought when I wanted it and did not wait to buy it.
Now I have more money then when I was younger, so after 12 years driving my daily car (e46 352i) I needed a new one... I wanted the car that could give me the most fun on a daily basis with some practicality for that amount of money. The M2 was the only one that fitted in this description and I would have bought it on any age...young or older
      10-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

I mean, if you're going to be digging into your savings account every month to cover the $250 delta, I don't think the cash flow is there to buy the M2 at this point.

Perhaps stay patient, buy something used and fun, then spring for your toy at 35?

In addition to your retirement contributions, you certainly should be saving money each month despite a steep car payment.

Being early 30s and single, this is prime-time to get way ahead of the game which will pay huge dividends for you later.

There are a LOT of fun things out there in the 30k range that should wet your whistle just fine.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #20
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also remember insurance, which will likely add another couple hundred power month to the tab.

Finally, if you really want single car guy life, you should go to 4-5 HPDE events per summer so you can USE your car properly. That is a pile of money for entry, travel and consumables.

You don't have to give up in your goal of a fun, self indulgent car. I was in your place in the 90s and bought a 325 instead of a new m3. I also spent about 30 days a summer either autocrossing or at a school. I had a blast and got very fast and smooth trying to keep up with faster cars. When I finally upgraded to my m (actually got it as a hand me down from my wife...long story), I had the car control skills to use all of it pretty much on the first day I tracked it. I'd always trade car budget for school budget if there was a choice. Also realize that with a family, you can have the car, but your weekend time to get to tracks goes away for at least a while with kids.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

+10000
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I mean, if you're going to be digging into your savings account every month to cover the $250 delta, I don't think the cash flow is there to buy the M2 at this point.

Perhaps stay patient, buy something used and fun, then spring for your toy at 35?

In addition to your retirement contributions, you certainly should be saving money each month despite a steep car payment.

Being early 30s and single, this is prime-time to get way ahead of the game which will pay huge dividends for you later.

There are a LOT of fun things out there in the 30k range that should wet your whistle just fine.
+1