THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions auto pdc coding

09-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Travy
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

auto pdc coding

can you code the pdc to be auto in a non parking assistant vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travy View Post
can you code the pdc to be auto in a non parking assistant vehicle?
When you say PDC, do you mean Park Distance Control? if you are there is an option in the settings menu for that to turn on. It should automatically come on when in reserve if equipped (ie. Sensors)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Travy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnj View Post
When you say PDC, do you mean Park Distance Control? if you are there is an option in the settings menu for that to turn on. It should automatically come on when in reserve if equipped (ie. Sensors)
yes, but what about when not in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I don't think so.... best you can do is change the max distance or speed...

why would you want this anyway... it would keep beeping on every stop light ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
kadify
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i xDrive GC

X vehicles have auto PDC which activates when going under a certain speed and approaching something (I think it is under ~10mph). It's nice when parking that they turn on automatically but can be a pain when going through a drive thru since they turn on and then beep the whole time unless you turn them off. As far as I know, there is no way to code a non-X vehicles to have auto PDC though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:27 AM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadify View Post
X vehicles have auto PDC which activates when going under a certain speed and approaching something (I think it is under ~10mph). It's nice when parking that they turn on automatically but can be a pain when going through a drive thru since they turn on and then beep the whole time unless you turn them off. As far as I know, there is no way to code a non-X vehicles to have auto PDC though.
mmm.... I've never heard about auto PDC....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Well, I'm confused (which isn't unusual) I have PDC and do not have parking assistant. There is a switch to the left of the shift lever (third one down with the green light under it in the picture). If I press this, the park distant control is activated as long as I'm below the set cut off speed. It works in forward or reverse. In forward I use it to gauge the distance to the cement parking stops when I'm pulling in to a parking place. It takes a little practice, but with the right technique you can get it to recognize the stops.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You hit the PDC button next to the shifter and it will work till you go above the cut off speed or more than cut off distance
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:14 AM   #9
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Auto PDC is a function of the PMA (park assistance) so it's not possible without a hardware retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Travy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
Auto PDC is a function of the PMA (park assistance) so it's not possible without a hardware retrofit.
got it, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Well, I'm confused (which isn't unusual) I have PDC and do not have parking assistant. There is a switch to the left of the shift lever (third one down with the green light under it in the picture). If I press this, the park distant control is activated as long as I'm below the set cut off speed. It works in forward or reverse. In forward I use it to gauge the distance to the cement parking stops when I'm pulling in to a parking place. It takes a little practice, but with the right technique you can get it to recognize the stops.

Button is only on cars with the front PDC.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 02:28 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I have it on my F15 and it is a nice feature to have. It is unfortunate that it requires park assistant on my F10. It is also strange how it comes on many other manufacturer cars, but I would not necessarily trade it for my HUD.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I have it on my F15 and it is a nice feature to have. It is unfortunate that it requires park assistant on my F10. It is also strange how it comes on many other manufacturer cars, but I would not necessarily trade it for my HUD.
For F0x and F1X both PDC and park assistance are controlled by the JBE module but there are different versions of it depending on equipment, so it'll still need a hardware change. The funny thing is that the version for cars without PDC at all is the same as the one with park assistance.
I guess if you're willing to make a hardware change, it'll be that much more easier to do it on an F10 since you'll just swap out your JBE which isn't expensive at all, as opposed to having to relocate PDC wires from REM to a retrofitted PMA on F2X and F3X.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
For F0x and F1X both PDC and park assistance are controlled by the JBE module but there are different versions of it depending on equipment, so it'll still need a hardware change. The funny thing is that the version for cars without PDC at all is the same as the one with park assistance.
I guess if you're willing to make a hardware change, it'll be that much more easier to do it on an F10 since you'll just swap out your JBE which isn't expensive at all, as opposed to having to relocate PDC wires from REM to a retrofitted PMA on F2X and F3X.
For F10, it still requires a PMA module. Then, you might as well also switch out the side marker sensors. It is cost prohibitive, in my opinion, and just easier to hit a center console button. I would rather spend the money on a front camera to complete the 360° view.
Appreciate 0