THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing My M235i Track Review

09-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

My M235i Track Review

Well, I got her out at LRP on Saturday. This was my first track day with this car. For reference I run in the advanced groups and have been tracking a lightly prepped manual e92 M3 (stoptech BBK, KW clubsport, NT01s). I sold the M3 in the spring and I wanted to get back out on the track while I shop for a new track car.

I was struggling to learn the car. Shorter wheel base, 8 spd trans, tuned turbo motor was all contributing. I was on stock PSS and pads with ATE fluid. It was HOT and the tires were over heating pretty quick. I could run a few hot laps then would have to dial it back. Plus I was getting a spongy pedal halfway through the sessions. The rear kept wanting to step out so I was having to manage that plus with the tune I think there was too much power, it was overwhelming the chassis. I had to be very careful with the throttle. Not sure if I’ll be tracking this car again stock – bottom line is it’s just no fun driving a street car when your used to a track prepped car.

The LCAs definitely helped because I didn’t destroy the outside edges of the tires. My front pads and front tires are shot though LOL! Also I'd probably take the tune out if I track this car again.

Nothing against the car at all, it's awesome and I love it as a street car. I bet it would be a good track car with proper suspension, pads and tires, but this is my DD and I'm trying to resist the urge to take the car in that direction. Time to find another track car.

Last edited by M3 Esq; 09-12-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I was there, but left early because I ran all day Friday with NASA and didn't want to wait for the track to dry.

Ran a 1:05.303 on Friday on nitto 01s, ebc yellowstuff, m performance rotors, ate fluid.

Car needs suspension badly, was basically drifting the corners.

Video is in another thread.

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic

Last edited by bryan_G01; 09-12-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
Well, I got her out at LRP on Saturday. This was my first track day with this car. For reference I run in the advanced groups and have been tracking a lightly prepped manual e92 M3 (stoptech BBK, KW clubsport, NT01s). I sold the M3 in the spring and I wanted to get back out on the track while I shop for a new track car.

I was struggling to learn the car. Shorter wheel base, 8 spd trans, tuned turbo motor was all contributing. I was on stock PSS and pads with ATE fluid. It was HOT and the tires were over heating pretty quick. I could run a few hot laps then would have to dial it back. Plus I was getting a spongy pedal halfway through the sessions. The rear kept wanting to step out so I was having to manage that plus with the tune I think there was too much power, it was overwhelming the chassis. I had to be very careful with the throttle. Not sure if I’ll be tracking this car again stock – bottom line is it’s just no fun driving a street car when your used to a track prepped car.

The LCAs definitely helped because I didn’t destroy the outside edges of the tires. My front pads and front tires are shot though LOL! Also I'd probably take the tune out if I track this car again.

Nothing against the car at all, it's awesome and I love it as a street car. I bet it would be a good track car with proper suspension, pads and tires, but this is my DD and I'm trying to resist the urge to take the car in that direction. Time to find another track car.
Car needs mods to be track ready.

Coilovers, sway bars, brake pads lines, fluid, Tires, ext.

I put just about 400 hp to the wheel, with jb4 and meth. I do quite a bit of Endurance racing so when I track It is typically open track on private days. I will run the car on semi slicks, for a full stint (tank of gas).

Any car needs work if your coming from stock. Its a good platform, but plan on spending 7-10k to make a track ready.

I like the car for track because I can fit a jack and 4 tires in. No need to trailer, and even fully modded it is still very streetable.

It is not uncommon for me to drive 3-4 hours to the track, do 4 hours of track time and drive home in the same day. I could not do that if the car was not comfortable on the highway. I had trouble doing it with a trailer.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22
I was there, but left early because I ran all day Friday with NASA and didn't want to wait for the track to dry.

Ran a 1:05.303 on Friday on nitto 01s, ebc yellowstuff, m performance rotors, ate fluid.

Car needs suspension badly, was basically drifting the corners.

Video is in another thread.

Nice car number lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post

The LCAs definitely helped because I didnÂ’t destroy the outside edges of the tires. My front pads and front tires are shot though LOL! Also I'd probably take the tune out if I track this car again.

Car needs mods to be track ready.

Coilovers, sway bars, brake pads lines, fluid, Tires, ext.

I put just about 400 hp to the wheel, with jb4 and meth. I do quite a bit of Endurance racing so when I track It is typically open track on private days. I will run the car on semi slicks, for a full stint (tank of gas).

Any car needs work if your coming from stock. Its a good platform, but plan on spending 7-10k to make a track ready.

I like the car for track because I can fit a jack and 4 tires in. No need to trailer, and even fully modded it is still very streetable.

It is not uncommon for me to drive 3-4 hours to the track, do 4 hours of track time and drive home in the same day. I could not do that if the car was not comfortable on the highway. I had trouble doing it with a trailer.
Totally agree. BMW made a race car off of this platform so I have no doubt it would be a very good track car when properly sorted. I just don't want to do that right now because I like it so much as a street car. I guess the point of my post is once you go track car it's hard to go back. But it was still a blast, I just couldn't drive it as fast as I wanted. Car wasn't having it
Appreciate 0