F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Rear Mounted Bike Rack
Studio RSR

09-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #1
Chris1178
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Rear Mounted Bike Rack

Hi all

I have an F30 and want to look at options for carrying bikes. I have a detachable tow ball (to pull caravan - sorry!).

I am aware you can get roof racks, tow ball mounted ones but then the other day whilst on my bike an F30 went past with a bike rack mounted on the boot (like you get on hatchbacks).

Didn't know you could get those for a saloon and i'm wondering if anyone has any experience/advice etc as rear ones are cheaper than roof bars and tow ball mounted ones...

Any advice gratefully received!!

Cheers
Chris
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

As you have a towbar fitted you already have the best option (IMHO) for carrying cycles. Get either a Witter or Thule towbar mounted carrier. They are far safer than the ones which put all the weight on the rear window / straps and you won't have to worry about scratches and pulls on the metal work. This is only my opinion, but I'd be very sceptical about putting probably thousands of pounds worth of bikes behind tens of thousands of pounds worth of car held on only with straps pulling at the edge of the metalwork around the boot. I personally (as don't have a towbar) have roof mounted Thule equipment which is very easy to use and very good quality.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      09-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Chrismac13
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i

Towbar mount is probably the best option. I dont trust the boot mounted ones, to easy to damage the car.
      09-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

I've had both and whilst I like the convenience of the roof mounted if you leave them on - they are noisy. Would look good on my F31 though

Tow bar is the way to go. Think practically about how you want to use the rack. I have a Thule Euroway(?) and it is great but way too heavy/clumsy for casual use.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #5
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiverBird
As you have a towbar fitted you already have the best option (IMHO) for carrying cycles. Get either a Witter or Thule towbar mounted carrier. They are far safer than the ones which put all the weight on the rear window / straps and you won't have to worry about scratches and pulls on the metal work. This is only my opinion, but I'd be very sceptical about putting probably thousands of pounds worth of bikes behind tens of thousands of pounds worth of car held on only with straps pulling at the edge of the metalwork around the boot. I personally (as don't have a towbar) have roof mounted Thule equipment which is very easy to use and very good quality.
Very sensible advice. I've got a tow ball mounted Thule two bike carrier. Best bit of kit apart from the bikes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #6
Chris1178
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Thanks all for the advice. I did wonder whether it was a good idea or not to be mounted on the boot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edinburra View Post
Very sensible advice. I've got a tow ball mounted Thule two bike carrier. Best bit of kit apart from the bikes.
So, with my tow ball being detachable...does this make a difference to whether i can fit a rack on or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1178
Thanks all for the advice. I did wonder whether it was a good idea or not to be mounted on the boot....

Quote:
So, with my tow ball being detachable...does this make a difference to whether i can fit a rack on or not?
I have no idea - and you'd have to check with the supplier / manufacturer, but as its capable of towing a caravan I assume that it could easily support a set of bikes - although I do appreciate that it's probably putting a different 'stress' on the joints.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1178

Quote:
The tow-ball I have is detachable and was put on the car solely for the purpose of carrying bikes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Mark189
Member of Parliament
Rep
Drives: G21 320d M Sport

I have a Thule 925, excellent piece of kit and well worth the high price. bikes didn't budge a bit during the two 1000km runs I did over the summer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:48 AM   #10
officedog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1178 View Post

Nope, absolutely no difference. I had, and will soon have again a detachable and used solely for bikes. Would not want to have a towbar permanently on display on the new f32!
Appreciate 0