THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Can someone please explain the Condition Based Service

09-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Can someone please explain the Condition Based Service

I own a 2016 M235 that I bought in February. The car currently has 6060 miles. When I start the car, the service indicator says "6000 miles 2/2017". I believe when I bought the car, it said 9000 miles. When I use Idrive to check the oil service status, it says "ok" meaning no oil change needed.

I understand CBS is constantly adjusting to determine the oil change service level. Am I to assume that the car is currently telling me an oil change isn't needed until 12000 miles (or 2/2017)? I thought BMW went to a 10,000 mile or less oil change interval in 2014 so why is the car telling me 12000 miles?

Just curious. There's no way I'm leaving the oil in there that long, especially on a new motor plus i drive fairly hard. I'll change itself myself between free changes but want to make sure i understand the oil service interval the car is telling me and that it's not telling me I should change it now because i just exceeded 6000 miles. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

Condition based service weighs more than just oil changes, but is influenced by your driving style. Your car will flag a service request at its one year build anniversary. I absolutely agree with you, BMWs default service intervals are crazy, I wouldn't buy any car that's been serviced only "when the light came on."

My experience so far is that the iDrive shows far distant date/mile combinations, a CBS service flag (like the 1yr time based service) pops up long before I get close to them, and i've usually changed the oil, flushed brake fluid and checked pad depth and filters long before either.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #3
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Read this paper for all the gory details....

This number 3 post in Bimmerforums has a PDF file from BMW explaining the oil condition sensor.

Last edited by mdputnam; 09-04-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0