E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Head gasket or valve cover gasket leak? HELP!!!

09-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Head gasket or valve cover gasket leak? HELP!!!

So, Ive noticed this leak (pics below) and I remember about 3 years ago (about 26k miles since the car was seating for about 8 months) my mechanic replaced what I thought it was a head gasket? I can't remember but he replaced a gasket because I was having somewhat the same leak. Anyways, can you guys tell if this a head gasket leak or a valve cover gasket? For my understanding if there was a blown head gasket the car would be heating up or worst not even working. I just dont know if it could be a head gasket leak or valve cover gasket. It looks pretty bad an I would like to replace is ASAP. Thanks

09-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Valve cover gasket. Use a different mechanic, the one you used a few years ago sucks.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

That's a classic case of valve cover gasket leak.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:54 AM   #4
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Valve cover gasket. Use a different mechanic, the one you used a few years ago sucks.
lol it seems like he does! That's why I couldn't believe it was the valve cover gasket since it was already replaced! oh well, I guess I'll have to do it myself lol
      09-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_luis View Post
lol it seems like he does! That's why I couldn't believe it was the valve cover gasket since it was already replaced! oh well, I guess I'll have to do it myself lol
Use a light coating of gasket sealant on the gasket when you install it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Hondabond from BMW

Yes -- when I changed my own VC gasket I purchased a tube of Hondabond sealant from my BMW dealership. The mechanics have to warrantee their work and they don't wont it to leak so they use this high temp sealant.
Getting the valve cover off without damaging the mating surfaces is the key. My gasket on the 335i N54 was so brittle and I spent hours picking it out of the engine. I would suggest getting a new gasket and valve cover & RB turbo valve if changing thin on an N54
N54 ROCKS!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_luis View Post
Jumping to conclusions, this is what OP wrote:
Quote:
...my mechanic replaced what I thought it was a head gasket? I can't remember but he replaced a gasket because I was having somewhat the same leak.
The valvetronic motor seal leaks will also flow down there. Especially '06 cars like that. The torque value spec on the screws had been increased later on. Mine was leaking a few years ago, not so bad though. The screws were not even finger tight.

So it is possible valve cover gasket was not leaking at that time, and now it does.
Appreciate 0