F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help with Profile Setup
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

Help with Profile Setup

I am trying to setup the profiles so that all the setting of the car changes based on which remote is used to unlock the car.

I was able to setup the profile for me and my wife. Now the question is how do I link it to remote. Right now when I unlock nothing happens. I have to specifically go to the profile (or I can bring it on startup) and then select my name to change the setting. I would assume that it should change automatically based on the remote like other cars.

I must be doing something wrong. Can anybody help me with profile setups. I followed the instructions in the manual but that is not working.
      08-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

First, make sure the second remote is FAR AWAY from your car. Get in it with one remote, start car, go to profiles, select the profile you want. That's it. It will associate the remote you had with you with the profile you just selected. Turn off car.

Then repeat the steps (including putting that first remote far away) for your other remote selecting your wife's remote.

Basically, the system recognizes the remote and them remembers all your most recent settings (including the profile you chose). You don't actually link a profile to a specific remote (like you do in some other brands). The one thing I don't like about this is if I drive us somewhere and then my wife drives us home but we only have my key, she selects her profile before she drives. Well, now both remotes are associated with her profile until I select my profile with my key being the key that is in the car (we always forget to set it back to my profile before turning the car off in the scenario I described above).

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      09-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

Thanks. I will try it again today
      09-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Smartpat
Rep
Drives: F34

My delivery guy said after selecting the profile and turning off the car, lock the car using the remote. Locking using comfort access will not pair the key with a profile.

I just followed his advice and it works.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartpat View Post
My delivery guy said after selecting the profile and turning off the car, lock the car using the remote. Locking using comfort access will not pair the key with a profile.

I just followed his advice and it works.
I don't think you need to do this, but clearly, it can't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 02:56 AM   #6
HarryAinslie
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Driver Profile Setup

Hey folks,

I'm struggling with setting up the driver profile.

I've found many posts on how to import, export profiles etc but nothing on how to actually create the profile.

Set the mirrors, seat, music etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker View Post
First, make sure the second remote is FAR AWAY from your car. Get in it with one remote, start car, go to profiles, select the profile you want. That's it. It will associate the remote you had with you with the profile you just selected. Turn off car.

Then repeat the steps (including putting that first remote far away) for your other remote selecting your wife's remote.

Basically, the system recognizes the remote and them remembers all your most recent settings (including the profile you chose). You don't actually link a profile to a specific remote (like you do in some other brands). The one thing I don't like about this is if I drive us somewhere and then my wife drives us home but we only have my key, she selects her profile before she drives. Well, now both remotes are associated with her profile until I select my profile with my key being the key that is in the car (we always forget to set it back to my profile before turning the car off in the scenario I described above).
What happens if the driver unlocks car with his/her key fob, starts car and ensures his/her profile (profile1) is the one being used BUT the passenger has his/her key fob in their wallet/purse ? Do all of the settings on the passenger's fob become the same as the driver's? If so, does this mean that the passenger should never carry their fob with them unless they are driving?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
What happens if the driver unlocks car with his/her key fob, starts car and ensures his/her profile (profile1) is the one being used BUT the passenger has his/her key fob in their wallet/purse ? Do all of the settings on the passenger's fob become the same as the driver's? If so, does this mean that the passenger should never carry their fob with them unless they are driving?
I think it is based on which key fob button was pressed or was in proximity of the door handle for CA when the car was unlocked. My wife has had her key fob in the car with me, and it never messed up my profile settings. But try having the passenger unlock the car with fob #2 and see what happens.
Appreciate 0