THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications CN Autofans carbon fiber spoiler?

08-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

CN Autofans carbon fiber spoiler?

I'm thinking about the CN Autofans "high kick" style carbon fiber spoiler. Anyone have this installed?

If so, how was the fit?
How is it holding up?
Did you just use 3M tape or something else?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

They are all basically the same quality, just go with the cheapest and best review.

Get yourself some dental floss, 90% rubbing alcohol, 3m VHB tape ( or 20lb+ 3m tape from home depot), goo gone and a hairdryer.

To remove existing wing, heat up the wing with hair dryer for about 10 mins until its warm to touch. Get the dental floss under one side and saw and pull up on the spoiler. If your lucky, the entire spoiler will come up leaving no old 3m tape on the paint. If there is glue left on paint, use the hair dryer and a soft rag to push the glue off, work left to right.

Once most of the glue (if not all) is gone, use the goo gone to clean area. Than i would gently clean with soap and water , than use alcohol to prep surface where new 3m tape will go both on the trunk and the spoiler itself.

Put the 3m tape as close to the edges of the new spoiler so there are no gaps when you put it on the trunk. Use some painters tape to mark where you want to stick the new spoiler down. You can eye ball this as well, but you only get 1 shot at it.

Stick it down, press on it firmly for 30 seconds. Wait 2 days before washing your car. Use same process on any wing or lip.

Removing the old wing in a cool dry place is easier than a hot humid driveway, ie: garage vs. driveway.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Another guy is having a lot of trouble with his. He posted today in this forum.
      08-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
Another guy is having a lot of trouble with his. He posted today in this forum.
I bought an eBay spoiler, and even though I think most of these wings come from the same supplier the underside of my wing is gloss black, while I believe that CNautofans is all carbon - even on the underside. So potentially mine came from a different factory than the CNautofans spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Put the 3m tape as close to the edges of the new spoiler so there are no gaps when you put it on the trunk.
DO NOT do this. The highkick aka. Exotics Tuning aka. EXO style spoiler has a lip around the edges of the spoiler and it is rather wide. Run the tape down the middle of the spoiler where the spoiler is completely flat (bias it slightly towards the front of the spoiler). I made the mistake of taping near the edges and it does not adhere correctly. The only spots I would go extremely close to the edges would be at the corners as these are more likely to lift. That being said I think my "eBay special" was warped as it is completely adhered on one side and I could see a slight gap on the other side. Ultimately I decided the gap was so slight that I'd fill it in with black silicone. While I was at it I went around the front edge to prevent air/water from getting under the spoiler. Will have to do a couple triple digit runs to make sure everything stays put, but for now everything looks solid.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i think your issue is the spoiler itself and not how to adhere it.

You want to seal around all edges or water will get inside and once water hits the 3m, it will cause it to loose the adhesive. I understand it has a lip, you should use thinner 3m tape in those areas or silicone which you will never be able to remove cleanly.

My buddy has a m3 and used RW Carbon for all his CF parts, they were the same pieces another friend bought off ebay for hundreds less.

Just because they cost more doesn't mean its better quality.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #6
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Thanks for the replies. Any point to using BMW Betalink body panel adhesive? Would it be easier maybe? Looks like it goes on almost as a glue/putty.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell B58 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Any point to using BMW Betalink body panel adhesive? Would it be easier maybe? Looks like it goes on almost as a glue/putty.
You'll hear mixed things about Betalink, its a messy process, gets everywhere if you're not well prepped, and its a more "permanent" solution. Apparently very hard to remove from paint (although I have heard that pressure washers make it easier). If you plan on basically never removing the spoiler and have enough skill to not get it everywhere then it is probably the best solution for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
tonyec7
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I just bought one off eBay, came with 3M tape preinstalled. No big defects, looks good imo.
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
Chris_B
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 2016 M235i

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hey man. If you search the forums you can find my original post.

I think I was one of the first to buy, and I've had an excellent experience so far.

One year down, no fade, no crack, no bubble.

washed weekly, waxed every few months.

if I'm correct, CNautofans is the same manufacture as RW Carbon.
Instagram @project_kristi
Appreciate 0