F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Magnuson Moss and 3rd Party "Service Contracts"
proTUNING Freaks

08-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Magnuson Moss and 3rd Party "Service Contracts"

I know the 1975 Magnuson Moss decision has been discussed ad nauseam, but everything I've read regard its use to an OEM/Manufacturer's warranty.

I'm wondering if the same applies to aftermarket, 3rd party warranties or "service contracts." As I was reading through one of these contracts, it says: the limited warranty will not apply to any vehicle with modified or aftermarket suspension or wheels (among a list of other strict requirements).

I'm assuming that since you are signing a contract for said coverage, they can make any stipulation they want about aftermarket parts. Seems odd that they wouldn't cover a water pump if you swapped wheels though.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I'm assuming that since you are signing a contract for said coverage, they can make any stipulation they want about aftermarket parts. Seems odd that they wouldn't cover a water pump if you swapped wheels though.
It's potential evidence that you've the car outside it's normal performance envelope (ie, racing, track days, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
It's potential evidence that you've the car outside it's normal performance envelope (ie, racing, track days, etc.)
Which wouldn't allow an OEM to deny coverage for anything on the car...
Appreciate 0